diy solar

diy solar

EG4 good option for mom's house?

janizona

We are currently in Dewey AZ, with our 5th wheel parked at my 97 yo MILs house on 4 acres, helping take care of her. Just found that the ducts under her manufactured home have been destroyed by rats and there goes all the air. Quotes to replace them are over $7K! She has an AC unit and propane furnace. Her home is 2/2 about 1300 sq ft.

Rather than fight the rats for new ducts, I am looking at putting some EG4s on her house. 24K in the kitchen/great room and two 12's in the small rooms. Summers here are 100, winters are freezing nights. Some snow. Elevation is 4800. They would just be connected to the grid for now. Mom doesn't want "panels cluttering up her place" (LOL!!) but when she has passed, my husband will inherit and we'll add solar and batteries.

I've spent a lot of time reading about these units but most comments are about the A/C ability. Before I spend her money, will this accomplish keeping her house cool and warm? I'd be in a lot of trouble if we remove her A/C, furnace and ducts and it didn't work as planned! =0

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    712.3 KB · Views: 8
Those EG4 ductless units are quite expensive.

A cheaper option where heat is not required would be the Midea U inverter style window AC units. A 12k unit cost about 300-450 depending on when it goes on sale. Can buy them direct from Costco and get it delivered for free.

High efficient units are efficient since they can throttle down to reduce electricity use when they get to your set temperature. In very hot climates, there is much less savings. If your set temp is say 80 and it’s 105 outside, your AC at all other AC will likely be running full blast.

I don’t know what it’s like to live in AZ other than it is hot. I live in the Midwest (OH) and when I set my AC to say 74 and it’s 80 outside, the AC runs at half capacity or about 500 watts. As the inside room temp reaches 74, the AC will throttle down to 250 and 120w. That is the efficiency savings that you get with inverter type AC units. Regular non-inverter AC units will run at say 800w all the time.

Need to get back on track. The Midea window AC U inverter AC unit is much easier to install and remove. I consider price and ease of installation the main advantages. It probably cost about 1/4 of an EG4 ductless version.

Give it a try if you want to start small and economical. Also, you can program the Midea AC and control it from your phone. While others may complain about the app, it works well enough.

Also, you can turn on AC where you need. While it may use more electricity in total, you don’t need AC in every single room and can save on electricity and ultimately your electric bill.

Mostly following to see if comments pop up about those that have used a heat pump version.

I can't pull the spec sheet up, but appears the EG4 will be good to 14 F, and should still provide some sort of heat throughout the winter, barring a record cold. If this is a DIY install seems will be cheaper than having the work done to fix your current system.

Living in Japan we used mini-splits in each room and since the compressor was outside this made the units whisper quiet. When I've used Window A/Cs, they were very noisy. Unfortunately, the mini-splits are three times the cost.

Those EG4 ductless units are quite expensive.

A cheaper option where heat is not required would be the Midea U inverter style window AC units. A 12k unit cost about 300-450 depending on when it goes on sale. Can buy them direct from Costco and get it delivered for free.

High efficient units are efficient since they can throttle down to reduce electricity use when they get to your set temperature. In very hot climates, there is much less savings. If your set temp is say 80 and it’s 105 outside, your AC at all other AC will likely be running full blast.

I don’t know what it’s like to live in AZ other than it is hot. I live in the Midwest (OH) and when I set my AC to say 74 and it’s 80 outside, the AC runs at half capacity or about 500 watts. As the inside room temp reaches 74, the AC will throttle down to 250 and 120w. That is the efficiency savings that you get with inverter type AC units. Regular non-inverter AC units will run at say 800w all the time.

Need to get back on track. The Midea window AC U inverter AC unit is much easier to install and remove. I consider price and ease of installation the main advantages. It probably cost about 1/4 of an EG4 ductless version.

Give it a try if you want to start small and economical. Also, you can program the Midea AC and control it from your phone. While others may complain about the app, it works well enough.

Also, you can turn on AC where you need. While it may use more electricity in total, you don’t need AC in every single room and can save on electricity and ultimately your electric bill.
Thanks for your thoughts. She is in northern AZ. Snow. Cold. I'm more concerned about keeping her house warm than cool!

Mostly following to see if comments pop up about those that have used a heat pump version.

I can't pull the spec sheet up, but appears the EG4 will be good to 14 F, and should still provide some sort of heat throughout the winter, barring a record cold. If this is a DIY install seems will be cheaper than having the work done to fix your current system.

Living in Japan we used mini-splits in each room and since the compressor was outside this made the units whisper quiet. When I've used Window A/Cs, they were very noisy. Unfortunately, the mini-splits are three times the cost.
Thanks. With one 24K for the kitchen and four 12K for the other rooms, she'd have 72K BTU total. And with self install, we are still only at $7600.

Thanks for your thoughts. She is in northern AZ. Snow. Cold. I'm more concerned about keeping her house warm than cool!
How’s the insulation? If poor, then sharing the budget with insulation and heating could be very worthwhile.

Another option

Costco does sell the portable 12k Midea 4 in 1 includes AC and heat pump and the dual exhaust hose. Very easy to install. I think it runs down to 41 degrees. If you point the exhaust pipe to the basement or crawl space, that will likely be warmer than the outside.

Between 400 and 500. Buy more and save more.

If your goal is to go solar at some point down the road anyway, I would do regular minisplits for a LOT cheaper than the eg4 ac/dc units. you can buy 12k and 18k BTU units for well under $1000.

They sip energy compared to central A/C, and will cost far less than the 7k quote (assuming you install yourself, even if you have to buy the vacuum pumps, falring tools, etc.). Then, it'll be a much lighter load for when you do go solar.

Just my thoughts.

Do a manual J at coolcalc.com. That will give you room by room loads. Then you'll have some idea how much heating or cooling you need in each room. Compare that to the BTUs of the units you think you could fit. Otherwise everyone is just guessing.

How’s the insulation? If poor, then sharing the budget with insulation and heating could be very worthwhile.
Sharing the budget with insulation and heating....can you explain this? She doesn't have an attic so can't add insulation. But in reference to heating..?
Thx

Do a manual J at coolcalc.com. That will give you room by room loads. Then you'll have some idea how much heating or cooling you need in each room. Compare that to the BTUs of the units you think you could fit. Otherwise everyone is just guessing.
I guess I wasn't clear...trying to make sure mini splits provide adequate heat and not just A/C.

I guess I wasn't clear...trying to make sure mini splits provide adequate heat and not just A/C.
I recommend you look at the BTU of the old propane heater, and compare that to the mini-split.

If the old BTUs are less than the new BTUs , there’s a better chance of it working.

I have a 15k BTU unit for my RV, and 120 volts only, and it’s still hot on the summer. Mini splits only work with 12k BTU at 120 volts. I see the BTU numbers and I’m not going to install the smaller BTU mini split. People have said the mini split will be better; I’m not spending my money to find out.

I can’t open the spec sheet of the Eg4 where I’m at; internet issues.

If you can’t find an answer on if it’ll work with the heat pump, call signature solar. You can ask them how when a record low happens and it approaches this 14 f or goes past it how it works.

Odds aren’t that great you’ll find someone using the EG4 in Northern AZ to heat a dwelling like you mention.

I recommend you look at the BTU of the old propane heater, and compare that to the mini-split.

If the old BTUs are less than the new BTUs , there’s a better chance of it working.

I have a 15k BTU unit for my RV, and 120 volts only, and it’s still hot on the summer. Mini splits only work with 12k BTU at 120 volts. I see the BTU numbers and I’m not going to install the smaller BTU mini split. People have said the mini split will be better; I’m not spending my money to find out.

I can’t open the spec sheet of the Eg4 where I’m at; internet issues.

If you can’t find an answer on if it’ll work with the heat pump, call signature solar. You can ask them how when a record low happens and it approaches this 14 f or goes past it how it works.

Odds aren’t that great you’ll find someone using the EG4 in Northern AZ to heat a dwelling like you mention.
Thanks for the info. We are also solar boondockers in our 5th wheel. I hate the darn Coleman15K unit. Terribly inefficient and loud. Since staring mini split research for mom, I'm looking to see if I can add a DC minisplit to our rig. But back to mom....I will check her furnace. Good idea!.

If your goal is to go solar at some point down the road anyway, I would do regular minisplits for a LOT cheaper than the eg4 ac/dc units. you can buy 12k and 18k BTU units for well under $1000.

They sip energy compared to central A/C, and will cost far less than the 7k quote (assuming you install yourself, even if you have to buy the vacuum pumps, falring tools, etc.). Then, it'll be a much lighter load for when you do go solar.

Just my thoughts.
Agreed, great advice.
I'm beyond happy with my Pioneer inverter ++ series that I self installed (and bought the tools to do so), specs claim it heats down to - 13F.

Solar units or not, as was mentioned figure out size of existing Heat and A/C.

A 2 ton mini split unit for instance will do a pretty ENORMOUS area with a standard ceiling height / volume. How big/open are the rooms where you plan the 2 ton?? Sq ft??

You will have to decide whether you want to eventually put the whole place on Solar vs just HVAC, then evaluate Solar mini splits vs conventional...:unsure::)

Also about the rats and HVAC ducts...about 35 yrs ago I temporarily lived in a mobile home here on my property while house was being built - are they still using the ducts that are just spiral-wound wire with insulation?? If so you can replace those with metal quite easily..

These are the specs for the EG4:

IMG_1342.jpeg
I do not know what the difference between the indoor and outdoor temps.

Also, locally in Phoenix, gas and propane are so much cheaper than electric heating. I think you’re replacing a gas unit. If all 4 are on, they could be pulling 4000 watts, which can add a bit to the electric bill. I’m guessing up to $300 per month, but that depends on energy usage and your local rates.

Back