diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Heat Pumps?

I've skimmed this thread, mostly because I'm on a phone and I can't see real well. I also did a thread search and I saw one person comment about using 4 x 375w panels.

Any updates on how many panels it takes to run the 12K unit with just DC solar?

With 1,500 watts of solar, or four panels, on a relatively decent day in Florida about when would the air conditioner have enough DC power to turn on?

About how long through the day would it run on just 1,500 watts of solar panels?

Do clouds make it turn off and on as they drift by?

What's the minimum amount of solar power that could be used and have an expectation of if actually working ? (assuming no AC connection)
I would very much like to hear some feedback on this also. I have scouted out a spot on my garage roof that is in shade until around 10:30 then full sun for the rest of the day......I can put enough panels there and only have a short run of cable to the mini split.

Some of that info is in YT videos but if skimming 1500W is an ideal 12k answer. The 12k is spec'd to run all the way down to 190W (where it would be only at 3100 BTU, by the way)

Speaking 24K BTU unit now, Cooling mode, 25degree array angle (EG4 groundmount) due S location 38N on 2700W solar - clicks on at 8am CDT off at 7pm. The 24k unit runs all the way down to 300W. It has not shut off under partly cloudy conditions, it does slow under a cloud. Only 10-15 days of Cooling so far this year but the 24k is a monster. Peak high of 92F so far at my place and I haven't seen it over 1100W yet.

Also looks like you can overpanel the 12k?? 380Voc 10A max input? Cold cloudy dark place on HEAT mode? This is where I need you experts - please review spec and fact check me :)

Some of that info is in YT videos but if skimming 1500W is an ideal 12k answer. The 12k is spec'd to run all the way down to 190W (where it would be only at 3100 BTU, by the way)

Speaking 24K BTU unit now, Cooling mode, 25degree array angle (EG4 groundmount) due S location 38N on 2700W solar - clicks on at 8am CDT off at 7pm. The 24k unit runs all the way down to 300W. It has not shut off under partly cloudy conditions, it does slow under a cloud. Only 10-15 days of Cooling so far this year but the 24k is a monster. Peak high of 92F so far at my place and I haven't seen it over 1100W yet.

Also looks like you can overpanel the 12k?? 380Voc 10A max input? Cold cloudy dark place on HEAT mode? This is where I need you experts - please review spec and fact check me :)
Thanks for this real use case info. Very curious how 12k and 24kbtu perform and dc power needs in heat mode as well.
Especially cloudy days. I‘m planning on (4) 400w panels for a 12kbtu unit.
Maybe 5 panels would be better for winter use but OCD won’t allow me to “uneven”, so oh snap I’d have to install 8 panels lol.
??‍♂️??‍♂️

Ps:
I would effort to configure the system to be able to run a 300-600w DC water heating element if/when over paneled, or charge a battery bank, etc. I’d do my best to use /store excess energy production.

Last edited:
That's my only issue with this type of product.
I want to get everything the panels can produce throughout the day.
Not just when one piece of equipment is running.

That's my only issue with this type of product.
I want to get everything the panels can produce throughout the day.
Not just when one piece of equipment is running.
I'm probably just then opposite. I want to get the AC off my main array / inverter (both too small for much more to be added) and provide the ac with the fewest number of used / cheap panels that will effectively run it

Always interesting to see what different people's needs, use case and set up will be

I'm probably just then opposite. I want to get the AC off my main array / inverter (both too small for much more to be added) and provide the ac with the fewest number of used / cheap panels that will effectively run it

Always interesting to see what different people's needs, use case and set up will be
Part of the decision equation can be panel space, roof space.
I can’t fault anyone for just going with a system that inverts to all 120 ac then buying a 12kbtu 120VAC minisplit for $700ish delivered off the amazon deathstar.
That’s way less of a hit if it craters, vs 1200+ shipping etc.

At this point though I wouldn’t want to lose watts to inversion.

This is why I have chosen the Hotspot unit.
You're only adding panels (if needed). But getting full production from them throughout the whole day.
But I agree, everyone should see what best serves their needs.

You're only adding panels (if needed). But getting full production from them throughout the whole day.
The 12k Hotspot is like $2000 right?

@timselectric do those Hotspot systems come with the solar panels? Line Sets? Looking at their web page they are picture with panels and there are no prices on the web site from what i am seeing.

Do the EG4 12k and 24k units come with Line Sets? or does SS have Line Sets? I saw @SignatureSolarJames said quick connect line sets are coming? Does that mean they do not have line sets at all for these units? I'm thinking of ordering 2 or 3 units (1 12k and 1-2 24k unites) I need 15 and 25 ft sets. Is that installer provided at this time? What about the electrical connection cable between the inside and outside units? Is that included, or are those also having to be field / user built at this time.

Also ... with the EG4 units ... do the Air Flow fins on the inside unit have an Automatic up and down AND side to side movement ? Or just Up and Down. Is Side to side adjustable or fixed. I need one unit to blow about 35-45* to the right of the unit on the inside of my house (or automatic variable side to side would be even better)

Do the EG4 12k and 24k units come with Line Sets? or does SS have Line Sets? I saw @SignatureSolarJames said quick connect line sets are coming? Does that mean they do not have line sets at all for these units? I'm thinking of ordering 2 or 3 units (1 12k and 1-2 24k unites) I need 15 and 25 ft sets. Is that installer provided at this time? What about the electrical connection cable between the inside and outside units? Is that included, or are those also having to be field / user built at this time.
I hope they come with line sets......my 24 K is supposed to be here next Wed. I believe it comes with a 15' line set. Depending on how it works, I will need three individual 12K units for bedrooms.....or maybe they will have multiple heads by then?

Also ... with the EG4 units ... do the Air Flow fins on the inside unit have an Automatic up and down AND side to side movement ? Or just Up and Down. Is Side to side adjustable or fixed. I need one unit to blow about 35-45* to the right of the unit on the inside of my house (or automatic variable side to side would be even better)
The eg4 come with pre flared line sets from what James said earlier in the thread... Don't know about fins.
The pioneer I installed last weekend has ? ? ? ? movement, fixed or continuous. I'm beyond happy with it, so far.

4M lineset included (13'). Your basic one story thru wall setup. EDIT: 12K unit is 3M (10')

No automatic left right. I'm in Colorado now I actually don't recall if manually adjustable.

Automatic up down or you can select a position for it to stop at

Last edited:
From an Engineer's standpoint this frequently seems ridiculous. Makes me think of a car with 8 engines. Or a rocket with 33 engines er Oops nevermind they have that (SpaceX Starship)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230414_183549_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230414_183549_Samsung Internet.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 19
From an Engineer's standpoint this frequently seems ridiculous. Makes me think of a car with 8 engines. Or a rocket with 33 engines er Oops nevermind they have that (SpaceX Starship)
Yeah if I needed that much I'd probably do a MrCool ducted inverter heat pump

@timselectric do those Hotspot systems come with the solar panels? Line Sets? Looking at their web page they are picture with panels and there are no prices on the web site from what i am seeing.
Full kits come with panels and battery.
I only needed the unit.

I have a 3 ton and a 2.5 ton 14 seer traditional units on my house, I'm thinking about 3 of these EG4s (1 12k and 2 24k's) and run them solar DC only (but wire the ac too) . Use the EG4s for the day DC and then the traditional at night

Then I'm also ready for what ever zombie apocalypse that will inevitably occur.

The example shown wouldn’t be anything I’d choose, but there’s something to be said for redundancy, and zone temp control.

This.

I'm by no means an AC guys, but I bought the vacuum pump and manifold gauges, and they have saved my ass more times than I can think of. Paid for themselves many times over.
You need a micron gauge and also need to change the vacuum pump oil often. I use this micron gauge. I use this vacuum pump.

I change my vacuum pump oil this time of year every few days, sometimes more. I might perform 5 or 6 evacuations in one day. I know when the oil needs changing if I can not reach under 200 microns with the pump running, micron gauge installed and not hooked to a system. During evacuation of a system, the vacuum pump oil picks up moisture and that is why it needs to be changed.

Systems need to be pulled down and hold below 500 microns. If you isolate off a system and it slowly rises to 1200 microns and holds there, the system still has moisture in it.

If your vacuum pump won't pull below 200 microns after changing the oil, you have either a pump that needs repair or replacement or you purchased a pile of junk.

diy solar

diy solar
Back