diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Heat Pumps?

You have to look at it from the eyes of self sustainability and a hint of doomsday. lol
Lol on the hint of doomsday.
I’m thinking the unit pictured is fine for an office or something, not so much a residence. I can’t imagine the hassle it’d be running all those lines, unless it’s new construction or a gutted building remodel.

All but one of my rooms are on the rear or side exterior wall. Easy to run the line sets. And the attic gives me access to the one.
I'm lucky in that regard.

Lol on the hint of doomsday.
I’m thinking the unit pictured is fine for an office or something, not so much a residence. I can’t imagine the hassle it’d be running all those lines, unless it’s new construction or a gutted building remodel.
I'm installing a floor mount mini split. The lines will run straight thru the wall out the backside of the unit. Not hard at all.

For my kitchen, I'm still undecided if I use one of the Mr Cool ceiling cassettes that fit into a 16" OC joist cavity. Those are easy to run with the floor or ceiling joists, drill hole thru outside wall and push the lines in to the hole you cut in the ceiling. The trim ring covers the area where the lines are attached. The drain can be run at the same time or thru another hole.

I recommend using single mini splits instead of multi head units.

I'm installing a floor mount mini split. The lines will run straight thru the wall out the backside of the unit. Not hard at all.

For my kitchen, I'm still undecided if I use one of the Mr Cool ceiling cassettes that fit into a 16" OC joist cavity. Those are easy to run with the floor or ceiling joists, drill hole thru outside wall and push the lines in to the hole you cut in the ceiling. The trim ring covers the area where the lines are attached. The drain can be run at the same time or thru another hole.

I recommend using single mini splits instead of multi head units.
Easy unless you run into a block, plumbing or wiring between joists several feet or more in…

And while I agree single minimsplits may be more ideal, imagine a 6 or 8 room 2 story house… mini-splits, lines, and exterior intrusions everywhere!
Placement can be a challenge, and aesthetics be damned. And if relaxing outside you’re going to be hearing those things cycle since there is undoubtedly going to be one close by. No thanks.
I’m not an hvac tech, but to me, a multi head unit may have it’s advantages and place, but no more than 3 head, and ideally just 2.

The HotSpot is said to be very quiet. (We'll see when I get it installed)
The first 3 will be on the side of the house, where the existing 3 ton unit is. Then I will decide on the location of the others. Ideally, they will all be located together. Because it's close to the battery.

@timselectric are you going to use them to supplement your 3 ton, or replace?

I'm thinking, because I have 7 day, multi time thermostats on my 2 ton and 3 ton, I'll program them off for day light hours and let the mini splits cool the house via DC solar in the day.

The HotSpot is said to be very quiet. (We'll see when I get it installed)
The first 3 will be on the side of the house, where the existing 3 ton unit is. Then I will decide on the location of the others. Ideally, they will all be located together. Because it's close to the battery.
No expected issues with efficiency loss due to line length?

@timselectric are you going to use them to supplement your 3 ton, or replace?

I'm thinking, because I have 7 day, multi time thermostats on my 2 ton and 3 ton, I'll program them off for day light hours and let the mini splits cool the house via DC solar in the day.
3 ton becomes backup plan #1.
Which moves 12k btu unit to backup plan #2.
And gas furnace to backup plan #3.
Fireplace to backup plan #4.
Redundancy with lots of backup plans.
When 2 is 1 and 1 is none. I prefer to start at 10. lol

The specs have a higher value (DC only?)

12K: 1170 (190-1700)W
24K: 2290 (300-3500)W

But AC is limited:
  • Limit AC power from 0-600W
So can’t cool or heat as much with AC?

Last edited:
3 ton becomes backup plan #1.
Which moves 12k btu unit to backup plan #2.
And gas furnace to backup plan #3.
Fireplace to backup plan #4.
Redundancy with lots of backup plans.
When 2 is 1 and 1 is none. I prefer to start at 10. lol
Fire? Furnace? What are these things you speak of in April? You are clearly someplace other than the tropics ??

The specs have a higher value (DC only?)

12K: 1170 (190-1700)W
24K: 2290 (300-3500)W

But AC is limited:
  • Limit AC power from 0-600W
So can’t cool or heat as much with AC?
I believe you're misunderstanding that? The 12K has a function to limit AC assist (Grid or whatever you get it from to 300W MAX (600W on my 24K unit). I think Will if not others went over that in his vid??

At this point, it's enough posts ago everybody should go rewatch his video ?
He answers a LOT of questions recurring in this thread ?

Or, just to reiterate, you can run 100% on AC, or 100% on DC

Last edited:
Has anyone actually gotten a 12k and / or a 24k EG4 unit? I have looked at the manual and spec sheet, and written SS, but not exactly seeing what I need to know

1. How long are the actual included copper Line Sets for Each. I'm seeing on 9.8ft for the 12k and 13.1 ft for the 24k. Confirmed?
2. How Long is the Control wire (I saw a video which said it was actually shorter than the copper line set). I'm seeing 13ft for the 12k and 16ft for the 24k. Confirmed?
3. The Voltage range is between 80-380. If I Use 4 panels at 34.4v max power (not VOC) and 335w each panel, that is 137v and 1340w total. Is that enough to get either the 12k or the 24k unit up out of bed in the morning?

Also, in setting up series strings. Do they have to be even numbers or can you use odd numbers? All though odd numbers makes for funny looking arrays

⬆️ Seems like ?Crickets? ? ? on this product, really?
Seems like a game changer to me…
Am I missing something?
For me in Central FL they are a game changer, I bought 4 of the 12k btu 120V units and during the day with just a few solar panels on each I pay nothing to keep my 2400 square foot home cool, at night after the house is cooled off they draw almost nothing from AC. I now have my 5 ton power sucking monster central A/C units' breaker turned off :). Some think the price is high but if you look at decent Mini Splits at say Lowe's or HomeDepot you can pay $1,700 and up. Cheaper models can be as low as $700. Each persons situation is different, for me they are saving me a ton of money and will pay for themselves in just a few years and with what the local power company (Duke Energy) is charging now and their rates are going up again at the end of this year things like this are necessary IMHO.

For me in Central FL they are a game changer, I bought 4 of the 12k btu 120V units and during the day with just a few solar panels on each I pay nothing to keep my 2400 square foot home cool, at night after the house is cooled off they draw almost nothing from AC. I now have my 5 ton power sucking monster central A/C units' breaker turned off :). Some think the price is high but if you look at decent Mini Splits at say Lowe's or HomeDepot you can pay $1,700 and up. Cheaper models can be as low as $700. Each persons situation is different, for me they are saving me a ton of money and will pay for themselves in just a few years and with what the local power company (Duke Energy) is charging now and their rates are going up again at the end of this year things like this are necessary IMHO.
How many panels are you using to run each unit?

Thanks for that info. Your systems are already paying for themselves, awesome!

yeah a 12kbtu mini split can be found between 600-700 on amazon to 878 for a 20seer pioneer or 748 for a 12k AUX brand at home depot. And an 18kbtu Hessaire DIY for $1098 seems pretty reasonable.
But all those will COST energy money every moment they are used unless you are off grid.

I’m surprised hybrid AC/DC units similar to the EG4 are not all over Amazon and Ebay by now. I’m going to guess they might be over the next few mos, and hopefully precharged with DIY friendly quick connects.

Inverter or not, running off solar all day without any inverter loss just seems ideal, epecially if you can switch the solar panels to charge batteries at times when ac or heat is not needed.
Sometimes it‘s sunny and pleasant during the day but would be nice to have some free heat at night.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back