diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Lifepower4 48V Top Balancing Firmware.

OMG, I just experienced the most frustrating update experience and I still was not able to successfully update the firmware. I consider myself pretty savvy but this one beat me.

I read that mac has an app now to communicate with the BMS so I thought this was going to be easy. I have a cable with pin 1 and 2 connected, have the SS RS485 dongle and the app was able to connect, read the BMS data but when going to the upgrade window, I could not get boot information. I toggled the show data and I could see command sent to the BMS but no reply. I tried everything in the app including ID0, ID1, ID2 and finally, I was able to get boot information if I set Boot Baud Rate to 9600 and not the default 115200. However, the hardware version returned was 2020 and not 0205 or 0207. Fine, I try to update to 0207 using 9600 baud configuration but I just get "Failed to send data". I see TX data from the dongle but no reply from the BMS.

View attachment 159913View attachment 159914
LL or LP4?

OMG, I just experienced the most frustrating update experience and I still was not able to successfully update the firmware. I consider myself pretty savvy but this one beat me.

I read that mac has an app now to communicate with the BMS so I thought this was going to be easy. I have a cable with pin 1 and 2 connected, have the SS RS485 dongle and the app was able to connect, read the BMS data but when going to the upgrade window, I could not get boot information. I toggled the show data and I could see command sent to the BMS but no reply. I tried everything in the app including ID0, ID1, ID2 and finally, I was able to get boot information if I set Boot Baud Rate to 9600 and not the default 115200. However, the hardware version returned was 2020 and not 0205 or 0207. Fine, I try to update to 0207 using 9600 baud configuration but I just get "Failed to send data". I see TX data from the dongle but no reply from the BMS.

Try a different cable. I had the same thing happen and that's what worked for me. I had to get the proper cable from SS back when I got the batteries. The cable that is included with the battery will only READ in my experience.

Try a different cable. I had the same thing happen and that's what worked for me. I had to get the proper cable from SS back when I got the batteries. The cable that is included with the battery will only READ in my experience.
I know this is probably obvious, but:

- Make sure the battery is disconnected (ie, not being charged, or discharging)
- if it still can't read boot info, flip the breaker to shut down the BMS, and then turn it back on.
- Put all dip switches down, and select device address 0 in the programupdate tab, before reading the bootloader info.

This sounds like a cable problem

Last edited:
So how do you define pins 1 and 2 vs 7 and 8. Do you have a picture? My original cable looked to be 7,8 so I remade one.
1690640967871.png

Should be 12 if my understanding is correct.

Edit: Corrected the example on page 1. So it is clear which pin went with which image.

Last edited:
I don't know for certain but it seems like I have seen where pins 1-2 and 7-8 are both RS 485 but don't necessarily have the same functionality. Like one set is read only and the other set is full comms.

For those of you who are going to buy an RS485 to USB adapter, get one of the blue ones with the LED indicators from Amazon so that you can see when they are communicating.
All the ones I have bought this one has been my favorite -https://www.amazon.com/10Gtek-RS485-Converter-CH340-Compatible/dp/B09MK7WRJ9/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_pp?crid=33B1O7XSRPTCC&keywords=rs485&qid=1690660910&sprefix=rs485%2Caps%2C365&sr=8-1

Back