diy solar

diy solar

EG4 LiFePower4 BMS Check while communicating to EG4 6000XP Inverter

girfold

Hey all, I'm seeing alarm light on all my batteries in my LifePower4 battery array and was not seeing any charge indicators. It's been unusually cold here past few days so I suspect it is due to low temperature which I'm guessing the BMS disabled charging while there are low temps. I've seen from reading online that I could connect to the master battery and see what the warning/alarm is, but that communication is currently tied to my inverter instead. Is there any way to access these alarms via passthrough on the inverter comms instead of having to disconnect existing connection and use a laptop to direct connect to the batteries?

As for the low temps, I've seen on other posts of using seed warmers with a temp sensor and have already gotten those. Just using a space heater to direct heat to the batteries at the moment until I'm hoping the warning light will stop flashing.

Last question, would I need to reset the batteries for the warning light to go away, or will it eventually go away once the BMS sees that the temperature is in normal charging range?

I was looking at the "Data History" tab on the inverter online data and there are two columns "BMSEvent1" and "BMSEvent2". I suspect these could give some insight, but the data is just a hex code - 0x00 and 0x08. Anyone know a guide or spreadsheet for mapping these codes to their meanings?

Happened again today at 9AM - the inverter shows "BMSEvent1" as a steady 0x00, but "BMSEvent2" changed from 0x00 to 0x08vin the Data History for the Inverter logs. At that time, all of the batteries in the array began flashing red for alarm status. They've continued flashing red and yesterday when this happened it required me to turn off all of the batteries and turn on the batteries last time to clear the flashing alarm.

Does anyone know what 0x08 would mean from the BMS of the batteries? I'm assuming around 9AM that's when the significant charging wattage would be coming in from the panels, which would trigger an alarm if the batteries are below or near the charging temperature. It looks like the batteries are charging as expected at the moment, but that 0x08 alarm is definitely still active.

Here's some other information regarding temperature from the Inverter logs at that time, all labeled as a Celcius metric:
Tinner (assumed to be Inner Temperature?): 7 degrees
tBat (assumed to be general battery temperature averaged across all in the array? Or is it only the master battery?): 6 degrees
MaxCellTemp: 6 degrees
MinCellTemp: 4 degrees

4 degrees is still above 0 degrees, but if this metric is averaged across all batteries then it's possible that one of the batteries was at 0 degrees?
Alternatively, it could just be a warning, and not a true fault to block charging?

Now that I've got my seed mat warmers and temperature detector, we probably won't get cold weather and I probably won't see this error again, but I can say that BMSEvent2 never changed from 0x08 until after I shut down the batteries and starting them up again. Since then they've been 0x00, but no extreme cold days since then either (plus I have the seed mats now to kick on if temperature gets too low, I'll probably unplug this once winter's over).

Back