diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Lifepower4 included Cables

JAS

Solar Enthusiast
Hi All,

I just received (2) EG4 LifePower4 48v rack mount batteries. I assume the small cables that come with the batteries are meant for connecting to their server rack busbars. However, since I only have (2) batteries, I am planning on using my own rack and directly connecting the two batteries to each other in parallel using the supplied cables. I will then connect my Samlex EVO 4248 to the batteries w/ 2AWG cables. (positive to 1st battery and negative to 2nd battery)

Question:

Are the supplied EG4 cables heavy enough for this configuration?

Thanks,

Jeff

From page 4 of the battery manual:

WARNING: Do NOT parallel batteries by using jumper wires on the terminals. This will cause
high amperage in the final jumpers and potentially excessive amperage on the battery terminals.

Since you have two it's technically only one battery current on the jumpers, but they're still pretty skinny. I think they're really only suited for racks of 3+ where the individual batteries will not usually see more than 50A current.

I wouldn't mind doing it for testing while observed, but I wouldn't want to leave them unattended.

Reactions: JAS
Signature Solar is telling me it's OK to parallel the two this way (since it is only two). However, they also didn't give me an answer about the gauge of the included wires... So... I'm thinking I will want to purchase bus bars to connect them to anyway (and upgrade the wires from the batteries to the bus bars...

Thanks everyone!

Back