diy solar

diy solar

EG4-LL-S communication issue with EG4-LL v2 (6-pin)

JustOnePanel

I found the thread on communication issues between LP4s and EG4-LL-S, does the same issue apply between EG4-LL v2 (6-pin) and EG4-LL-S? Is it a firmware fix or a modified ethernet cable without pin 6 that's needed?

I have 2 x EG4-LL v2 (6-pin) batteries working just fine with a 6000XP. I just received a new EG4-LL-S and it will not communicate with the 2 existing batteries. All set to unique IDs, tried different ethernet cables and cycling everything. The EG4 monitoring interface still reports "batt parallel num:2". EG4-LL firmware was also updated recently/~last 1 month to make them work with the 6000XP.

any ideas?

thanks @Markus_EG4 , will try that out over the weekend

@Markus_EG4 Need some help please. Apparently the LL-S firmware update is a 2-step process and requires 2 separate cables? I can only do the RS485 step, had to backout the firmware update when I realized the RS485 cable won't do it by itself.

Where do I find the RS232 cable? Can you send me a website link to purchase one? Or the pinout so I can make my own cable.

thanks!

@Markus_EG4 Need some help please. Apparently the LL-S firmware update is a 2-step process and requires 2 separate cables? I can only do the RS485 step, had to backout the firmware update when I realized the RS485 cable won't do it by itself.

Where do I find the RS232 cable? Can you send me a website link to purchase one? Or the pinout so I can make my own cable.

thanks!
@EG4_Jared

thanks!
For this you would have to utilize an RS232 to USB cable like the UT-8811. From there, you would need an RS232 to Ethernet utilizing the pins 4-RX and 5-TX.

For this you would have to utilize an RS232 to USB cable like the UT-8811. From there, you would need an RS232 to Ethernet utilizing the pins 4-RX and 5-TX.

thanks @EG4_Jared. I have plenty of RJ45s available to crimp, is there a pin-out for the batt connection cable I can use between the V2 and LL-S to get this going/skip the firmware update for now, till I get some RS232 gear delivered?

@Markus_EG4 @EG4_Jared thanks for your feedback, I ended up loading the multipack firmware posted elsewhere in this forum to get going, that was the only readily viable solution to me. I crimped (and confirmed) 2 comm cables with pins 3,7,8 between the LL-S and the LL2, that didn't do it. Removing pin 6 from another cable didn't do it either.

EG4 needs to come up with some desperately needed and consistent documentation on how to establish closed loop comms between different EG4 battery versions. If we're expanding a system, we don't have a choice on what version of the battery we're getting anyway.

Some recommendations:

1. Firmware files need to be clearly versioned on your download website as well as what you're sharing here in the forum. Some were labeled, some not, some had folder dates, some were generic files. None were versioned.

2. If the firmware flashing process changes, such as the 2-part process for the LL-S, there has to be some documentation on how to complete it. The only reason I knew the RS232 firmware upgrade was to be done through the batt comm port was a post by Markus somewhere here, no such mention in the docs. And the only explanation of the RS232 pin out needed is again a post here by Jared.

I don't mind DIY'ing this since you're not offering on your site a cable to complete the firmware process you're actually recommending, I actually enjoy it, but there has to be some documentation to go with it.

Back