diy solar

diy solar

EG4 minisplit heat pump grounding question

Cptx

Hello, this is my first post as I will be initiating my first home solar project (HOA now allows for panels on the roof as long as they aren’t visible from the street). I’ve been enjoying an Eco Flo Delta Pro and a panel for remote camping.

I did use the search function and did not see this specific question previously asked.

I do a lot of DIY, and as I’ve gotten older I’d really like to cool down my Texas garage during the day. I’ve lived in Texas 40 years, and there has been only one week I didn’t want to work in the garage due to extreme cold.

I’m considering the EG4 minisplit heat pump with four 400 watt panels mounted to the roof…and to power and run the minisplit only when the sun is out/during daylight hours (never connecting to any grid AC)

If running directly and only off the panels (never connecting to grid AC or a separate inverter/battery system); do I just ground the panels and mounting system to a separate grounding rod?

If I do decide to also connect to grid AC or eventually put together an all in one inverter + server rack battery, how does the grounding configuration change?

Thank you and preemptive apologies for any newb language.

Hello, this is my first post as I will be initiating my first home solar project (HOA now allows for panels on the roof as long as they aren’t visible from the street). I’ve been enjoying an Eco Flo Delta Pro and a panel for remote camping.

I did use the search function and did not see this specific question previously asked.

I do a lot of DIY, and as I’ve gotten older I’d really like to cool down my Texas garage during the day. I’ve lived in Texas 40 years, and there has been only one week I didn’t want to work in the garage due to extreme cold.

I’m considering the EG4 minisplit heat pump with four 400 watt panels mounted to the roof…and to power and run the minisplit only when the sun is out/during daylight hours (never connecting to any grid AC)

If running directly and only off the panels (never connecting to grid AC or a separate inverter/battery system); do I just ground the panels and mounting system to a separate grounding rod?

If I do decide to also connect to grid AC or eventually put together an all in one inverter + server rack battery, how does the grounding configuration change?

Thank you and preemptive apologies for any newb language.
I am going to suggest you tie it into grid power.....mine will shut down if trying to run only on solar panels and it get cloudy. With grid tie in, you can limit the grid input but still have it run when the clouds clear. I did not ground mine. That is not advice, just what I did.

This is a pretty good video that covers most of my questions. A few things I would have done differently, but they did a solid job.

Thank you. Makes sense in my mind to avoid arcing type phenomena with just one ground or tying one or all grounds into the house ground.

I am going to suggest you tie it into grid power.....mine will shut down if trying to run only on solar panels and it get cloudy. With grid tie in, you can limit the grid input but still have it run when the clouds clear. I did not ground mine. That is not advice, just what I did.
Hey Scott, I am getting close-to-ready to install one (12K) I bought a few months back.
I am going to use it at my off grid weekend property.
But, I always turn off my 48V system when I am not there. I leave my 12V system running though.
That is why I bought the EG4 that runs off PV direct. I wanted to leave the mini-split running for humidity control, but turn off the power for safety.
How much can you limit the grid power? Can you limit it to not power the compressor, but still keep the electronics energized?
I could use my 12V 600W inverter to power the unit if I could limit the power to a bare minimum.

The 12K BTUs limit AC power to 300W when enabled. I also recommend you have AC power AVAILABLE based on the majority of users' reports. My 24K runs great Solar only, I feel lucky (lol ?)

You can't select to only run the indoor fan or so on. Extrapolating from my 24K BTU unit - if you have any Solar to speak of - you mostly see it use half the limiter (300W for 24k BTU on 600W maximum), so I would anticipate 150W nominal. When the Sun's out they don't use diddly squat (40W on 24K BTU) for AC power.

Keep in mind these have some parasitic AC draw when switched OFF. We have measured 30W on a 12K, and 120W (!) for a 24K unit.

Hey Scott, I am getting close-to-ready to install one (12K) I bought a few months back.
I am going to use it at my off grid weekend property.
But, I always turn off my 48V system when I am not there. I leave my 12V system running though.
That is why I bought the EG4 that runs off PV direct. I wanted to leave the mini-split running for humidity control, but turn off the power for safety.
How much can you limit the grid power? Can you limit it to not power the compressor, but still keep the electronics energized?
I could use my 12V 600W inverter to power the unit if I could limit the power to a bare minimum.
I ran mine on solar only for more than a week no problems. Then we had some cloudy days and it the next morning it would not come on. It was making a buzzing or alarm sound from the outdoor unit. I turned off the solar and turned on the grid power....it powered up and ran fine. Turned solar back on and so far I have left it in the configuration. I have not explored how to limit the AC grid usage yet....been too busy.

Purchased almost everything I need. Will be doing the project over the next couple weekends.

Good follow up video to the one I posted above.

The 12K BTUs limit AC power to 300W when enabled. I also recommend you have AC power AVAILABLE based on the majority of users' reports. My 24K runs great Solar only, I feel lucky (lol ?)

You can't select to only run the indoor fan or so on. Extrapolating from my 24K BTU unit - if you have any Solar to speak of - you mostly see it use half the limiter (300W for 24k BTU on 600W maximum), so I would anticipate 150W nominal. When the Sun's out they don't use diddly squat (40W on 24K BTU) for AC power.

Keep in mind these have some parasitic AC draw when switched OFF. We have measured 30W on a 12K, and 120W (!) for a 24K unit.
Do people run 80+ volt, 1200+ watt, DC power supplies as a replacement for the four solar panels for use when the panels aren't functioning(night etc.) Or maybe 32S batteries.

OK, so the install went 95% perfectly.
Really wish EG4 provided a template
The 3.5 inch hole I drilled through drywall and then outside brick at a downward angle might be 3/4 of an inch too close to the indoor unit.

The indoor unit mounted fine with some muscle, but I fear I may have kinked the water drainage line, as it will leak a bit after running a few hours.

The other tricky part is securing the drain line after you have removed it from the other side (and swapped the inserted plug location).

EG4 should package and ship the indoor unit with the drain hose attached to the same side as the high and low lines. Would make things much simpler (along with providing a template)

I will have to gently pull off the indoor unit and check the drain hose and its attachment. While I’m at it, I’ll move the mounting bracket an inch and a half to the left.

Yeah there really is not much explanation for not providing the "cardboard box" template.

Hope you are able to locate/fix leak :)

Outside of my current, hopefully short lived, inquisition from my PoCo about my Solar, its a fantastic unit.

Thanks. It works great cooling down the garage nicely; the dripping is annoying. Detaching the high and low lines once connected opens a can of worms I would prefer to avoid.

Shouldn’t be an issue, but will require another physically strong person on a ladder outside to help guide the lines reverse direction through the hole (I’m not asking my wife).

I’ve already built scaffolding (not posting pics as it’s not OSHA compliant tested ) to the height of the indoor unit to make my life easier.

Back