diy solar

diy solar

DirectX geothermal minisplit solar unit

davidua

What are your thoughts on a Direct exchange geothermal minisplit solar unit using the latest technologies to overcome traditional problems with dx systems?

Direct exchange geothermal minisplit solar unit is a type of heating and cooling system that combines the benefits of geothermal, solar, and minisplit technologies. It consists of the following components:
  • A solar photovoltaic (PV) array and batteries to reduce the grid dependency of the system.
  • A minisplit air handler that distributes the conditioned air using ductless or mini-duct.
  • A Direct exchange geothermal variable speed compressor that is incorporated directly into the mini split air handler or for multiple air handers in a separate outside heat pump.
  • A Copper pipe loop that runs underground and exchanges heat with the ground using refrigerant. 50 feet length per ton of capacity, buried 6 feet.

For a single air handler setup the air handler is connected directly to the copper pipes that run underground. Copper is a highly conductive material, so it easily transfers the ground’s thermal energy to the refrigerant. The indoor air handler has a fan and a coil to exchange the thermal energy from the ground directly to conditioned air using a variable speed compressor, which can adjust the refrigerant flow rate and pressure according to the load and the ground temperature. This ensures that the system operates at the optimal performance and efficiency level at all times.

The solar PV array provides electricity to power the air handler and the compressor, and also charge the batteries.

DX geothermal systems use a sealed refrigerant loop that is designed to prevent any leakage or contamination. The refrigerant used in DX geothermal systems is R-410A, which is a non-toxic, non-flammable, and non-ozone-depleting substance. Moreover, DX geothermal systems use less refrigerant than conventional geothermal systems, because they do not need a secondary fluid or a traditional heat exchanger. DX geothermal systems typically use about 0.6 lbs of refrigerant per ton of capacity, while conventional geothermal systems use about 1.5 lbs of refrigerant per ton of capacity.

Possible reduced installation cost by taking advantage of federal, state, or local incentives, tax credits, rebates, and grants. Recoup the installation cost over time by saving on energy bills and increasing the value of your property.

Direct exchange geothermal systems are fully compliant with the latest codes and standards.

additional info on dx heat pump.... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_exchange_geothermal_heat_pump

How much more efficient is dx geothermal mini split than traditional air mini split? Cost of burying 50 ft of copper line per ton vs cost of additional solar panels and batteries per ton; based on efficiency differences from dx mini split vs air mini split.

What are your thoughts on a Direct exchange geothermal minisplit solar unit using the latest technologies to overcome traditional problems with dx systems?

DX geothermal systems use a sealed refrigerant loop that is designed to prevent any leakage or contamination. The refrigerant used in DX geothermal systems is R-410A, which is a non-toxic, non-flammable, and non-ozone-depleting substance.
Given time the powers that be will declare R410-a as a banned refrigerant as well. its all a matter of time and how much control they desire to exert.

The problem with geothermal is not what is above ground. It is the cost of getting below ground. Putting lipstick on a pig doesn't fix the pig.

Assumes you have enough land not covered by trees.
buy a chainsaw?.... you offer problems, i offer solutions. its a different way of thinking. you are looking for reason why you cannot do it. I am looking for ways to make it happen. just two different ways of thinking. neither is wrong, one is more towards the safe side and one is not.

buy a chainsaw?.... you offer problems, i offer solutions. its a different way of thinking. you are looking for reason why you cannot do it. I am looking for ways to make it happen. just two different ways of thinking. neither is wrong, one is more towards the safe side and one is not.
I'm all for geothermal, but when I was quoted $90,000 ....

I'm all for geothermal, but when I was quoted $90,000 ....
Dude…. Buy a 20 y/o backhoe and get to work….

Seriously that’s a person trying to take advantage of you you can do this yourself if you want to…remember we adapt we improvise we overcome.

Last edited:
I thought real hard about DIY geothermal. I have a three acre pond 50 feet from my shop. Then I watched Jesse Muller’s build. Decided it was too complex for me right now and got cold weather mini splits (and will install propane for the floor heat). Might reengage the idea when I build a house.

are you in a bedrock area? was not trying to be an ass earlier, just thought you might be able to trench it yourself and save cash, as that seems to be a lot fo the cost from what I have read.
I dug a hole for a tree. 1/3 of it was rocks. In any case, still don't have enough land, so we'll is the only option.

Back