diy solar

diy solar

EG4 PowerPro or Ruixu for 18KPV?

Pretty sure that's the inverter overhead + conversion loss (about 75W each at the moment) the % drops slightly as the output goes up, ie the delta rises somewhat less than the power. I think the units consume 40 or 50-odd watts, + around 7% conversion loss, YMMV. These numbers come directly from the inverters.
These are around about the figures that I also calculate for overall inverter efficiency. It becomes a non-issue as you start pulling over a kw in/out of them.

Last edited:
These are around about the figures that I also calculate for overall inverter efficiency. It becomes a non-issue as you start pulling over a kw in/out of them.
I've noticed people often complain of the ghost drain from any inverters. Personally I think you just need to factor it it when you engineer your setup. In the grand scheme 50W of overhead on 12KW of output is 0.42%. With two inverters obviously that doubles, but my units are running 24x7. So I may need an additional 2400WH (~100*24hours, soon to be 3600WH) of capacity just to run the system. itself for a day. My noise line is just under 24000WH/day (1000*24) so I need a 10% buffer on capacity when my system is mostly idle. Cost of doin' business and when I'm amping up into the 105000WH days, gets down in the 2 or 3% range. Now if you only had a single 3000W inverter it would be much more significant, but with my daily power requirements, it's kind of a non-issue. I don't have hard numbers, but I noticed last year when the inverters were basically off waiting for solar to charge, they don't seem to have even that much overhead. YMMV

I have 6x5KWH Ruixu and 6x5KWH EG4 independently monitored on a pair of 18KPV/12's. 'A' is the EG4, 'B' is RUiXU.

View attachment 206410

I have not really noticed anything bizarre, though I did recently have them trip 150A breakers (below spec should have been 200A, now replaced) when I had an extremely high load running from battery. The result was rather poor behavior on the inverter side trying to push 18+KW to the load mostly from battery, mimimal PV (maybe 1-2kw combined), and only one of the inverters actually having battery. It kind of went nuts instead of shutting down. The RUiXU's seem to discharge and charge a bit faster than the EG4's (green SOC curves). Inverter seems to average the numbers for some functions.

I assume you have the RUIXU's set to Luxpower, and you are using a straight thru data cable?:

View attachment 206419

View attachment 206420
View attachment 206424

i think it's using CAN, but I don't know for sure. I just have it set for SOC. with my thresholds and it kinda just does what it's supposed to. The charge/discharge rates are generally as expected. I poll both inverters every 30 seconds, and while the charge/discharge rates are never the same they are always within the range of my expectations. Currently the EG4's (on 160 the primary) are working marginally harder than the RUiXU's (on 231 the secondary). Numbers are generally similarly close. charging or discharging,

View attachment 206425
I generally try to make sure I make the most minimal changes to my settings. Also you may note the loss of ~150W. Pretty sure that's the inverter overhead + conversion loss (about 75W each at the moment) the % drops slightly as the output goes up, ie the delta rises somewhat less than the power. I think the units consume 40 or 50-odd watts, + around 7% conversion loss, YMMV. These numbers come directly from the inverters.

View attachment 206422
Yeah I had everything set the same as you. I ended up setting the batteries to RS484. All dip switches down and I have the inverter set to Lithium 8. It’s only been a week so time will tell, but no strange issues since. We actually lost power last night and batteries were able to drain to 2% and the power came back. Previously they would kick off at 15% and start demanding a charge from the grid till they hit 20. The EG4 app still states 0 parallel batteries but discharge and charge rates are correct and update if I unplug a comm cable from a battery, so I’m guessing the master battery is just reporting as a single large battery. I hooked the BMS to Solar Assistant with a USB cable and it did the same thing, reported as a single battery. I also haven’t seen the batteries capping out at 650ish watts discharge like I was before.

My dislikes with the PowerPro are the heavy weight of one unit, the way it gets built into the system under the junction box making it hard to change out,
They are heavy - no argument there. However, ASFIK, there is no requirement that they mount physically under the 18Kpv like the diagram shows. Some marketing person made that image for a cleaner look. While you CAN mount it like that, you can also mount it further away. It will just require longer battery cables (which Signature Solar now sells).
I don't see why you couldn't put one in front of the other. There should be no air flow issues that way. The back side is expected to be blocked by the wall and there are no vents or holes in the front panel at all. All ventilation and breaker/cable access is from the sides. You need spacing on both sides for access to dip switches, the LCD, and breakers. The front and back are non-functioning panels.
IF you prefer the rack mount but like the simple connections of the PowerPro, build a simple frame on a dolly or something similar to make it a pseudo rack-mount. Position a raceway/conduit wherever you want for connecting the inverter. Then, make your connections in that instead of directly to the inverter. Future change-outs (if ever needed) would be pretty straight forward.
I'd still recommend having a brace connecting it/them to the wall. As you stated - they are heavy!

Back