diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Website (6000XP) battery graph showing negative value???

jeremyee

Looks like EG4 monitoring website & app has the battery value the same as the PV value but the battery charge value is showing a negative number on the graph. A single 6000XP is only being used as a solar charger right now. no input or Output A/C wires are connected.

1702842918883.png

In this case negative battery means charging, and positive battery would mean discharging.
Positive value should be charging and negative should be discharged I think they are just using the incorrect values displayed to the user

Looks like EG4 monitoring website & app has the battery value the same as the PV value but the battery charge value is showing a negative number on the graph. A single 6000XP is only being used as a solar charger right now. no input or Output A/C wires are connected.

View attachment 183531
Yeah, this makes no sense. Since there's no output, all numbers should be positive. @Zapper77 any ideas?

Guess my understanding of it is that with the positive going in, their would have to be a negative somewhere, hence the battery is sucking up the the solar. Pretty much what @hwy17 said. The graph is identical on the positive and negative curve, although slightly higher on the positive side probably accounting for the inverter power consumption. Just my two cents, I'm still new here and to solar - trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible.

When I look at our regional grid supply chart batteries are also portrayed this way, negative when they're charging and positive when they're supplying.

Of course if you're gonna try and chart everything at once, that would imply loads should be charted negative as well. For the ISO they use a separate demand chart where loads are recorded in the positive.

It's an arbitrary decision which way the chart goes.

Picture that the graph is formed from the point of view of the inverter, not the battery. To the inverter the battery is either an input or an output. Then, it makes sense that charging is an output. The power is coming in from solar and going out to the battery.

Grid import should be listed positive as input, and load should be negative as an output. But I don't know if this chart remains consistent that way.

Last edited:
Picture that the graph is formed from the point of view of the inverter, not the battery. To the inverter the battery is either an input or an output. Then, it makes sense that charging is an output. The power is coming in from solar and going out to the battery.
This helps clarify what it's doing. I wasn't thinking from the inverter standpoint. Thanks!

This helps clarify what it's doing. I wasn't thinking from the inverter standpoint. Thanks!
I think it should be from the battery stand point. But that won't work because the inverter can operate without batteries. So having the numbers displayed from the inverters point of view is the only logical solution.

I think it should be from the battery stand point. But that won't work because the inverter can operate without batteries. So having the numbers displayed from the inverters point of view is the only logical solution.
Yeah. You would have to look at each stat as it's own "component" instead of it being a part of the inverter as a whole, then Positive values would be input and Negative values output. PV data would always be positive and consumption would always be negative. Battery and grid could be positive or negative (grid would only be positive for 6kxp but 18kpv could be both).

s
Are you saying you feel that way or it says it should be that way in the manual?
should be this was. Solar Assistant, Growatt and Victron all have the correct value. also, the value is the PV power and not the power from the battery's BMS. It's just logic that they need to change so is using a battery BMS to use that value.

should be this was. Solar Assistant, Growatt and Victron all have the correct value. also, the value is the PV power and not the power from the battery's BMS. It's just logic that they need to change so is using a battery BMS to use that value.
Agree to disagree.

Back