diy solar

diy solar

EG4 WP Waterproof Lithium Battery | 48V 100AH with Pv18k

EZPZ

i have an 18kpv with a eg4 wp 100ah 48v battery. The battery went into protect mode and won’t come out of it. The 18kpv still showed that it was occasionally sending voltage to the battery but was all over the show.

I removed the battery. The Bluetooth no longer worked. It showed 1v across the terminal. I attached the battery to a charger for 24hrs and now it shows 12v across the terminal and still the Bluetooth is not working. I also set the 18kpv to no battery and yet it still shows it sending voltage and wattage to the battery….

1. How to fix the battery?
2. How can the 18kpv still show that a battery is attached and that its charging it?

thanks

IMG_2235.png

I just sent 3 of these batteries back doing similar things. Hopefully it's under warranty. You can try and slow charge it to see if it will wake up. If it doesn't, bms is bad.

Shut your inverter down and restart to see what it does then? Check the Voltage at the terminal on the inverter just in case your fuse popped.

The system is only 2 months old, so yes under warranty. It is still on a slow charge and will leave it connected to the charger for another day and check it again.

I shutdown the battery breaker on the inverter as well and verified no voltage on battery cables. Still same picture of it trying to charge battery. I will restart the inverter and feedback….

Did you get 3 replacement batteries or did you go with a different option?

The system is only 2 months old, so yes under warranty. It is still on a slow charge and will leave it connected to the charger for another day and check it again.

I shutdown the battery breaker on the inverter as well and verified no voltage on battery cables. Still same picture of it trying to charge battery. I will restart the inverter and feedback….

Did you get 3 replacement batteries or did you go with a different option?
Disregard my other reply

I played heck with signature solar returning them. I was told by tech that they aren't good for off-grid use.

I went to Current Connected @CCJ @HighTechLab they took good care of me. I have three ruixu batteries that are pretty nice.

Yeah I am not off grid. Actually back feeding into it and using the grid as my “battery”. The wp battery is basically just to keep the inverter running overnight if there is a grid outage.

It was working fine until a week ago. Just since then It’s gone all weird.

It was working fine until a week ago. Just since then It’s gone all weird.
Yeah, it would take some time to cause damage. But if the inverter is constantly pushing power at this high voltage, it will eventually cause problems:

1706305974217.png1706305996957.png

It’s a 48v 100ah battery. It can take those voltages. It can also take over 50 amps and the battery bms is rated to do these values according to spec sheet. So that’s not the problem. Well in my mind the bms is the problem in that it’s not doing it job and I have no way of resetting it…

It can take those voltages.
For a short amount if time, yes it can. For days or months, it cannot. It's not a lead-acid battery where you can just slowly charge it forever.
It can also take over 50 amps and the battery bms is rated to do these values according to spec sheet.
Yes, bulk charging like this is fine when the battery isn't already full. Don't continue to charge a full LFP battery.
So that’s not the problem.
I can't say for sure, but I believe that this actually might be the problem.

For a short amount if time, yes it can. For days or months, it cannot. It's not a lead-acid battery where you can just slowly charge it forever.

Yes, bulk charging like this is fine when the battery isn't already full. Don't continue to charge a full LFP battery.

I can't say for sure, but I believe that this actually might be the problem.
Bulk is 56v. Float is 54v. As per the manual. And the bms manages the batteries and flow coming in and out and to each cell, not the inverter. The inverter is set with those values. So it should do these numbers all day everyday. For as long as the warranty. The bms won’t accept charging if the batteries are full no matter how many times the inverter tries to send power that way. Well it shouldn’t. It should also stop over voltage and amperage. Same with temperatures both high and low. That’s its job. All day and every day. I can understand your concern if there wasn’t a bms. And if these values were not the ones specified as per the manufacturer. I didn’t build this battery or the bms. It’s a sealed unit so I expect it to work as specified by the manufacturer. Isnt that what I paid for? 🙂. At this rate maybe looking into building my own battery would not be such a terrible idea. I would expect problems like this if I had built it 😂

SOC on the picture is wrong btw. Everything on the battery picture is wrong right now. That’s a different issue - that’s issue 2 - why is the inverter trying to charge, well not trying as there in no voltage on the battery connections but rather displaying that it is trying to charge a battery when there is no battery there currently and the “no battery” checkbox on the inverter is enabled and the battery breaker is off. In my mind it should not display anything going to the battery In this configuration currently. The battery is on an external charger currently. 🤨

The first problem is why the battery won’t charge after going into protected mode and not coming back out of protected mode. Not on the inverter or even on an external charger. And that is managed by the bms. Hence me asking how to reset the bms Or wake it up etc.as the battery has no reset button…maybe if it drained to 0v completely….and the bms had no power at all. Seems like an overly complicated “fix”

I plan to leave it on the external charger for another day then reconnect it to the 18k and see whether it charges. If that fails then I will return the battery. Was hoping to avoid having to go that route.

Bulk is 56v.
Is it? Your screenshots would indicate otherwise:
1706379900994.png
And how long do you have it set to stay at this absorption voltage? There's no time scale in the screenshot, but it's been at 100% for a while.
1706381560072.png

And the bms manages the batteries and flow coming in and out and to each cell, not the inverter.
The BMS Protects the battery, but it's the last line of defense. The inverter/charger needs to send the right things its way, so really the inverter manages the battery, and the BMS protects it if the inverter does something drastically damaging. If you're operating your system well, the BMS shouldn't have anything to do.
And the BMS can't do much to manage individual cells other than move small amounts of energy to keep the cells in balance. Otherwise it just monitors them and it can cut off current to the whole battery to protect one cell from an overvoltage or undervoltage condition.
So it should do these numbers all day everyday.
Charging the battery "all day every day" is not good with LFP. It's fine with lead-acid, but it's damaging to LFP.
The bms won’t accept charging if the batteries are full no matter how many times the inverter tries to send power that way. Well it shouldn’t. It should also stop over voltage and amperage. Same with temperatures both high and low. That’s its job. All day and every day.
It would be great if this were true, and you might be right that it's what BMS's should do. But the reality is that this isn't what BMS's do. They monitor for cell voltage, battery current, and temperatures exceeding certain values and disconnect the battery if they do. They don't monitor for long-term damage caused by low-current charging, which is what you appear to be doing.
It’s a sealed unit so I expect it to work as specified by the manufacturer. Isnt that what I paid for? 🙂.
Did the manufacturer say to set your inverter to charge it like a lead-acid battery?

SOC on the picture is wrong btw.
Yes, the SoC is clearly wrong on one of those screenshots. At over 56+ V, the battery is 100% charged. And it looks from the charge history (the purple line at the bottom of the two screenshots) like it's been at 100% and still charging for a long time.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Just an update. SS replaced the battery and I went to go pick it up in Sulphur Springs a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to the folks there to making it an easy drop off and swap out of the battery. No issues since then. I did manage to get the old battery charged up to 11.5v but it wouldn’t go beyond that. Unfortunately EG4 no longer make this battery as I was hoping to get another one at some point. This battery checks all the boxes for my needs. That or a wall mount unit. Maybe @Will Prowse has one in his large array of batteries just sitting around that he wants to send my way 😃

Back