diy solar

diy solar

EMP Protection Question

jbkrntrprz

Solar Enthusiast
I am a little confused on this subject. If the circuit is open ( deenergized ) is it protected from electromagnetic pulse. My thinking if given advance notice is disconnect all solar panels, open all breakers in main and critical loads panel including main breakers, disconnect all wiring going into inverters and disconnect all batteries and turn off. I believe turning off the batteries if they have built in breakers will deenergize the BMS. So does that protect everything or does the pulse flow thru the electronics even if the circuit is open? Haven't found a clear explanation on this.

Yes, it would provide some protection. EMPs affect longest runs of wire the most, say like a wire going from solar array to inverter.

If you opened the circuit, then it would provide protection against weaker EMPs that can't jump across the breaker or disconnect. The induced potential on the long wire from a more powerful EMP could theoretically jump the gap though.

So there is no guaranteed protection, but if you were to hear on the news that we're getting a crazy solar storm, with like northern lights at the equator, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to shut down and disconnect everything as much as possible. Unhooking the wire from the breaker and moving the end of it several feet away would be even more protective.

Yes, it would provide some protection. EMPs affect longest runs of wire the most, say like a wire going from solar array to inverter.

If you opened the circuit, then it would provide protection against weaker EMPs that can't jump across the breaker or disconnect. The induced potential on the long wire from a more powerful EMP could theoretically jump the gap though.

So there is no guaranteed protection, but if you were to hear on the news that we're getting a crazy solar storm, with like northern lights at the equator, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to shut down and disconnect everything as much as possible. Unhooking the wire from the breaker and moving the end of it several feet away would be even more protective.
Good info. I keep hearing about putting components in a faraday cage or bag. Will Prowse says put spares in one of these bags, so that tells me that static components are vulnerable! Any thoughts. Thanks for your advice.

Back