diy solar

diy solar

Energy Efficient Electric Heaters?

Marc4274

Can anyone recommend an electric space heater that is more efficient? We have one that runs with a fan - pretty standard - and it runs on 1500 watts/hour on high, about 850 on low.

Open to any other types that may be better.

ALL resistance heaters are the same at about 5100 BTU for 1500 watts. Choose the fan to circulate air in chilly corners, radiant reflector for directed heat on you to feel warmer faster, or convection radiator style for steady heat in the whole room.

To gain actual efficiency need to move to a heat pump where 2x or 3x the BTU is moved into the area for the same resistance wattage. The difference is the heat pump is moving heat instead of creating it.

I have a gas furnace and this last summer I installed a 12K BTU minisplit in my living room. It costs me about $30 a month to run and has dropped my gas bill by about $75 a month, so big savings for me. It's small enough I could run it of the solar but right now that power is being used elsewhere. It puts out enough heat to keep most of my house pretty warm and really reduces the amount of time the furnace runs, down to almost never unless it's below freezing outside and keeps the living room nice and toasty like a wood stove. I'm really happy with it. As noted above, all resistance heaters are equally inefficient, you have to go to heat pump to gain efficiency.

I have a gas furnace and this last summer I installed a 12K BTU minisplit in my living room. It costs me about $30 a month to run and has dropped my gas bill by about $75 a month, so big savings for me. It's small enough I could run it of the solar but right now that power is being used elsewhere. It puts out enough heat to keep most of my house pretty warm and really reduces the amount of time the furnace runs, down to almost never unless it's below freezing outside and keeps the living room nice and toasty like a wood stove. I'm really happy with it. As noted above, all resistance heaters are equally inefficient, you have to go to heat pump to gain efficiency.
I'm also switching to minni spit systems. Gas furnace will be my backup.

100% is the old efficient.
We can and have done much better, over the last 20 years. ;)

Well, by definition, they’re 100% efficient. It’s just that there are even better ways to achieve the heating.
a resistor is 100% efficient at generating heat

peltier are resistor and heat pump

refrigerant based heat pumps are the most efficient at pumping heat

usually there's ambient heat outside that can be taken advantage of.

the most efficient space heater when it comes to a single person, might be an electric heated blanket

Can anyone recommend an electric space heater that is more efficient? We have one that runs with a fan - pretty standard - and it runs on 1500 watts/hour on high, about 850 on low.

Open to any other types that may be better.
all resistive heaters will have practically the same efficiency of generating BTU

the fan mechanism and how it moves the warmed air can help get the most out of finite runtime

lamp type space heaters can radiate the heat onto a person quite efficiently, have used one on cold nights before

heated blanket is very energy thrifty for heating my body up, and it's a blanket

also DIY tinkering with peltier personal heating/cooling, but there aren't any affordable commercial thermoelectric personal heater/coolers off the shelf i'm aware of.

anyone tried something like this ?

edit : some reviews indicate it is not safe.
Cozy Products 200-Watt Radiant Flat Panel Indoor Electric Space Heater
Provides gentle radiant heat, perfect for office or desk use. Thin panel design, this heater resembles a computer monitor. Measures only 5/8 In. thick. Can be mounted on walls or under desks. 2-Heat control switch for optimal comfort. Draws only 200 W
edit: maybe pass on this one
1646182372525.png

Last edited:
Hi Marc! If you want efficient heating systems which can last long, I highly suggest heat pumps. I have read an article posted by Hurliman Heating about the advantages when using heat pumps such as having a long lifespan which can take up to 20 years if maintained properly. You can click here to read the article and learn more about the lifespan of heat pumps.

Back