diy solar

diy solar

Energy Monitoring Both Running & Surge Watts

kh56

What energy monitoring devices are available that would measure both running watts and surge watts?

I did running with a $20 sensor (ac side) and surge with my multimeter with inrush current
CDE679BB-7CC9-4CC5-89E8-68FCA4985F76.jpeg
I don’t know anything that does both I’m sure there is probably something

Not "Monitoring", but measuring ... I got the Harbor Freight clamp DC ammeter, which is handy for checking PV string currents (resolution 10 mA).
It also measures AC amps, and has an "Inrush" function.

Previously I measured inrush with a current transformer (has resistor, outputs 300 mVrms at 100Arms) and a digital scope.
I logged power consumption with a logging DMM/DAS. That was handy because once a scan list was stored, I could take it elsewhere and capture data standalone.
(Yeah, I do things the most expensive way when I can.)

It also measures AC amps, and has an "Inrush" function.
Since the surge watts sometimes last only a split second I assume these devices save the surge data long enough to see it and record it?

The yellow button "Rel/Inrush" corrects zero-offset for DC readings, and sets the meter to store peak inrush current for AC. So the reading is held until cleared.

My scope shot shows what the surge (and the waveform) looked like:

Since the surge watts sometimes last only a split second I assume these devices save the surge data long enough to see it and record it?
Yes you have to get a meter with inrush and if you want to measure things like a fridge you can make a line splitter so you can get the meter around only the positive side

... and if you want to measure things like a fridge you can make a line splitter so you can get the meter around only the positive side

A 2-wire zip cord extension cord would be separated easily. Need a grounding adapter for 3-prong plug.

Or crawl around behind and access the loose wires at the motor, like I just did. Saw about 2.3A from a 2000 vintage upright freezer.

Thanks everyone for all your excellent help. I decided to roll over what I've learned into a new thread here.

Back