diy solar

diy solar

Eperer Tracer-BN series

1982Copbike

Received yesterday. Manual lists 4 battery types. LiFePo4 not listed. There is a fourth option "User" but must input battery parameters. HOW! HELP!

Here are my "User" settings for the Tracer 3210 AN. Should work for your SCC, too. You can import the file into the Epever software on your PC

Attachments

• Tracer Settings.txt
    368 bytes · Views: 19
Reactions: Mia
Here are my "User" settings for the Tracer 3210 AN. Should work for your SCC, too. You can import the file into the Epever software on your PC
The Tracer "BN" has slightly different parameter labels, here's what I am recommending and using (although pushing "Boost" voltage up to 14.5V might provide for more effective and aggressive cell balancing). I assume that you're working with a 4-cell "12V" battery pack:

Over Voltage Disconnect 14.7 V
Charging Limit Voltage 14.6 V
Over Voltage Reconnect 14.6 V
Equalize Charging Voltage shut off or 14.4 V
Boost Charging Voltage just 14.4V (others use higher Voltages to charge in slightly less time, but this is sufficient for your testing)
Float Charging Voltage 13.6 V
Boost Reconnect 13.4 V
Low Voltage Reconnect 10.9
Under Voltage Warning Reconnect Voltage 11.5
Under Voltage Warning 11.5
Low Voltage Disconnect 10.8
Discharging Limit Voltage 10.5
Equalize Duration 0 (it should not ever be done).
Boost Duration 120 minutes

Under good sunlight, this should try to charge maximum PV input power for up to 120 minutes, up to a maximum Charging Voltage of 14.4V (or 14.5V). At the end of 120 minutes, it will quit pushing so hard and fall into float, as long as battery Voltage is above 13.4V. Low-resistance LFP battery cells should still be accepting considerable input power in that State, as long as the sun is shining. And if battery Voltage falls below 13.4V, the controller should go back into Boost Charging mode - at up to 14.4/14.5V "Constant Voltage", for another 120 minutes.

I do own a Tracer "BN" with MT-50.

For almost all 'hobby' applications charging LiFePo4 with a solar controller at low charge rates, it is not necessary to have a long two hour absorption ( boost) period. The battery will be over 98% full once the target (boost) voltage is reached. A very short, say 15 minutes, or no absorption period will be less stressful on the battery.
As far as the boost voltage (absorption voltage) is concerned a lower voltage of 14 volts or 14.2 volts will still charge successfully, even 13.8 volts is considered adequate.

Mike

For almost all 'hobby' applications charging LiFePo4 with a solar controller at low charge rates, it is not necessary to have a long two hour absorption ( boost) period. The battery will be over 98% full once the target (boost) voltage is reached. A very short, say 15 minutes, or no absorption period will be less stressful on the battery.
As far as the boost voltage (absorption voltage) is concerned a lower voltage of 14 volts or 14.2 volts will still charge successfully, even 13.8 volts is considered adequate.

Mike
Thanks, Mike. But we're speaking of a Solar controller - with possibly limited panel access to peak sunlight. (Mine is within an RV.) But I may be shortening my current "Boost Duration" to only 60 minutes. (My TT is a fold-down model, and it's a pretty big effort to get it out of the garage for testing things. And in a multi-day test with different parameter sets, I start running into HOA complaints.)

Back