diy solar

diy solar

EPEVER 40A MPPT 4210 Lithium Iron Phosphate, settings and good choice?

kenfused

Thinking about using this Epever SCC for my 24V setup.
There seems to be some old and some new info on this model. According to the Amazon listing, this model does support LiFePo4 batteries out of the box, without fussing around with settings, but on other posts I see that you need the MT-50 box and update the settings. Does anyone have firsthand experience with this ?
does the out of the box setting work ok?
71Za7ahuCQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That shows that F08 would be your selection for an 8S battery. I used a USB converter that came with mine to do the programming. I don't unfortunately know how well it will work out of the box.

I used a 4210 with some FLA golf cart batteries, then switched to a battery evo 12v Lifepo4. Updated settings through the USB interface.

I set up the 4215 with a 24V system recently using the MT-50. I could not get to the LiFePO4 settings on just the face of the unit but needed the MT-50 (and sounds like the USB interface works too but I could not make it work with my Mac).

I did not trust the default settings as they seemed to risk overcharging the cells. The over voltage disconnect default is 29.6 volts (3.65V per cell) and charging limit and overcharge reconnect are 29.2V (3.625V per cell). At this high, you are right at the edge of cell safety and might rely on the BMS to block the SCC from charging which is not great.

After reading a bunch, I settled on over voltage disconnect of 28.8V (3.6V) and Charging Limit 28.4V (3.55V) and I set the equalize (0 min) and boost (10 mins) times very short. Other reasonable folks will choose other numbers and there is a range that trades off cell protection with maximizing Ah availability.

this model does support LiFePo4 batteries out of the box,
I’d get at least a 30A or maybe 40A if you ever imagine using it for bigger stuff down the road.

But other than that, the $30 bluetooth dongle works quick, and adjusting the settings is easy. ALL OF THESE will support LiFePO4 or LiFePo8 by programming them. You need to disable ‘equalize’ as well but again, it’s easyhttps://diysolarforum.com/threads/s...ngs-in-epever-tracer.17785/page-4#post-706182

I set up the 4215 with a 24V system recently using the MT-50. I could not get to the LiFePO4 settings on just the face of the unit but needed the MT-50 (and sounds like the USB interface works too but I could not make it work with my Mac).

I did not trust the default settings as they seemed to risk overcharging the cells. The over voltage disconnect default is 29.6 volts (3.65V per cell) and charging limit and overcharge reconnect are 29.2V (3.625V per cell). At this high, you are right at the edge of cell safety and might rely on the BMS to block the SCC from charging which is not great.

After reading a bunch, I settled on over voltage disconnect of 28.8V (3.6V) and Charging Limit 28.4V (3.55V) and I set the equalize (0 min) and boost (10 mins) times very short. Other reasonable folks will choose other numbers and there is a range that trades off cell protection with maximizing Ah availability.
I've been looking at the Epever lately also. One of the things that struck me from a video I watched or a comment I read was that if you use the 'User' settings and adjust manually that it defeats temp protection if you are using the temperature probe. This seems odd because you still need low temp protection regardless if you enter manual settings.

Is this true? This is the whole reason I'm looking to upgrade. I need a better charge controller any way so I figured as long as I'm buying I might as well get one with a probe so that I can save on the battery without low temp protection.

I read was that if you use the 'User' settings and adjust manually that it defeats temp protection if you are using the temperature probe
I believe you can set that appropriately and it works.
When you modify their defaults it automatically bumps to ‘USER’ for the parameters and on my 4215AN temp is still an option. Even if you select ‘lithium’ and change one setting it labels it, “USER.”

believe you can set that appropriately and it works
@JK14 @blammo585

I just took a package of steak tips and a pound of sausage out if the freezer and sandwiched the temp sender for my brand-new Epever 4215AN Triron Xtra between them.
In 30 seconds or less the app was displaying -8.12*C and the 4.x Amps of charging the overcast day is affording did not stop.

? low temperature protection with this Epever definitely does not function.

That’s fairly annoying.
Would it not be quite simple to code this function? It SEES the data; writing the switch should be easy, right, @Browneye ?! (‘You got any “buddy resources” that could hack the programming and give it a patch?) @upnorthandpersonal

@JK14 @blammo585

I just took a package of steak tips and a pound of sausage out if the freezer and sandwiched the temp sender for my brand-new Epever 4215AN Triron Xtra between them.
In 30 seconds or less the app was displaying -8.12*C and the 4.x Amps of charging the overcast day is affording did not stop.

? low temperature protection with this Epever definitely does not function.

That’s fairly annoying.
Would it not be quite simple to code this function? It SEES the data; writing the switch should be easy, right, @Browneye ?! (‘You got any “buddy resources” that could hack the programming and give it a patch?) @upnorthandpersonal
Yes, that is annoying and disappointing. There is no reason for disabling low temp protection just because you want to use User defined settings. This should not be an all or nothing thing. It makes me wonder if other controllers behave the same way. Or is this just Epever?

Get a smart Victron controller and have easy control of charge perameters and a record of daily solar yield over the last 30 days plus more useful stuff. Still needs a Victron Smart Battery Sence mounted directly on the battery to report battery temperature.

Using an internal temperature sensor in any solar controller is not useful, the interal temperature will not be the same as battery temperature.

Mike

internal temperature sensor in any solar controller is not useful, the interal temperature will not be the same as battery temperature
This isn’t internal- it’s a 8’ cable and probe that plugs into the Triron

On a similar note, are the newer Epever "XTRA" controllers better than the older AN models? I just discovered on Sunday that the XTRA models were the newer versions.

For what it's worth, if anyone is interested, I sent a seller on Amazon, MrPow, a message today if they knew whether the ones they're selling have the LifePo4 setting accessible out of the box, and I was told that yes they do ship with the updated software.

...but depending on your battery brand or bms, the default settings may be too "hot" and not fully charge the batteries.

Either way, they were always able to be programmed to USER and set appropriate Lifepo parameters.

On a similar note, are the newer Epever "XTRA" controllers better than the older AN models? I just discovered on Sunday that the XTRA models were the newer versions.
I’d like to know this too! The newer looking ones are not Will’s choice on his blueprints, but not sure if that’s because he hasn’t tried, or hasn’t updated his …

like to know this too! The newer looking ones
They have the RS485 easily accessible on the front, and also provide two USB ports which is a nice feature for their market. Plus I like cleaner appearance for some impractical reason. Not important to me, but they have optional swappable user interface panels and convenience port panels.

Are they better?
Dunno. It acts just like my older 40A and just works, but has max 150VOC rating.

They have the RS485 easily accessible on the front, and also provide two USB ports which is a nice feature for their market. Plus I like cleaner appearance for some impractical reason. Not important to me, but they have optional swappable user interface panels and convenience port panels.

Are they better?
Dunno. It acts just like my older 40A and just works, but has max 150VOC rating.
One of the 40a XTRA has 150v rating, but there's another 40a XTRA that is only 100. So you have to watch the model numbers.

Are they better?
I actually prefer the look of the AN models, although I do like the extra buttons on these newer models.

Back