diy solar

diy solar

Epever Solar charge controller false measurements on the load

Solarismus

Hey ho,
I was always very satisfied with my epever charge controller but fore some reason the load data have gone crazy. The chart controller is normally showing how much the devices that are connected draw, but when the device draws more than 1 Amp, the display says 0 Amps. If the devices draw less then one amp, the charge controller show the correct current.
I really have no clue why is this happening. I already checked the fuses but they seemed alright.

Any suggestions ?
thank you in advance

Was it working OK before?
What is the model of this EPEVER?
Screenshots?
EPEVER 40A MPPT Solar charge controller TracerAN 12 V/24 V DC.
Yes it was working perfect.
Yesterday I also read that that many people do not recommend to use the load output, because it is not made for high current, but I was just drawing around 4 Amps. What is also interesting that even if i try to turn the load of, everything stays on. So maybe the control hardware of the load output died ?

The load is best just for a relay to switch other loads. I'm sure the manual will have the max load it can support, generally LED lights, computer vans etc are ok direct to the load.

The load is best just for a relay to switch other loads. I'm sure the manual will have the max load it can support, generally LED lights, computer vans etc are ok direct to the load.
I have an Epever Triron 30N. Contacted Epever and asked just how much current can be drawn on the load port, the answer was 30A. Whatever the amp rating of the controller was the amp rating of the load port.

That said, I too wouldn't use the load ports for any load other than very low wattage or a relay.

Thank you for all your answers.
But I always thought that the load can definitely handle up to 10 Amps.
I was using the load output because I am running a Webserver on a raspberry pi and there I can see how much Power is going into my batteries and also how much power is bypassed directly to the load side.
I also thought that using the load would maybe increase the live time of my batteries, because the charge controller can take the power from the solar cells and put it directly to the load, therefore the batteries would not loose life circles.

Yesterday I opened the epever solar charger and I only found two fuses. So that means that the solar cells have no fuse or the load side, which is very confusion. And why do they soldered the fuses directly onto the PCB? swapping makes truly fun...

thought that using the load would maybe increase the live time of my batteries,
The load outputs take power from the battery terminals, if the solar input is equal or greater than the load demand, the load is in effect powered by solar. If however if the solar input is less than the load demand, the battery is providing the difference. The only advantage in using the load terminals is displayed info and the ability to disconnect the load at programmable voltage levels.
even if i try to turn the load of, everything stays on. So maybe the control hardware of the load output died ?
It would seem that's the issue. I expect you have tried disconnection of solar then battery and reconnect in reverse order to 'reset ' the controller.

Mike

The load outputs take power from the battery terminals, if the solar input is equal or greater than the load demand, the load is in effect powered by solar. If however if the solar input is less than the load demand, the battery is providing the difference. The only advantage in using the load terminals is displayed info and the ability to disconnect the load at programmable voltage levels.

It would seem that's the issue. I expect you have tried disconnection of solar then battery and reconnect in reverse order to 'reset ' the controller.

Mike
No I did not tried to change the connection order because I always thought this would destroy the charge controller.

disconnection of solar then battery and reconnect in reverse order to 'reset ' the controller.
I did not clearly state the process. What I intended to say was, disconnect the solar and then the battery, wait a few minutes, then reconnect the battery first then the solar. Its kind of 'clutching at straws' but it sometimes sorts out issues where the controller has become 'confused'.
Mike

Yes I disconnected the solar charge controller several times. I also opened it but I could only find two fuses and they where both good. So I think the amp measurement hardware died and I will build myself something similar to keep track on the power consumption.

Thank you all :)

Back