diy solar

diy solar

Epever terminal broken

12VoltInstalls

life passes by too quickly to not live in freedom
I recently got tasked to sell my younger daughter’s equipment left over from her abandoned Sprinter camper conversion project (truck is sold). One of the items is an Epever AN50. I had a brand new AN60 recently purchased and offered it to a guy who came to buy the AN50 (who thought maybe the AN50 wouldn’t allow enough watts) and I liked the smaller real estate of the AN50. Deal was made, I have the AN50 which is out of stock on amazone until January or February I guess.

I installed it last night. No problem; new in box, never installed. Except that I had trouble backing out the + panel input screw. It was like it was crooked, hard to get screwdriver tip into the screw head but I finally got it going. Slipped the wire in with trouble because it didn’t seem to open as much as the other three, and got it opened a bit more. Started to tighten the screw (again, bent or crooked) and it seemed to straighten itself. Mild resistance as it engaged the wire then it just kept turning. And turning. While it obviously is tight enough that the wire won’t come out (8ga solar wire) it appears that the screw is broken.

I searched for similar issues and/or repair writeups but all I got close was https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...ire-connection-stuck-in-closed-position.1909/
I didn’t check elsewhere.

Q? Anybody got a part # for this connector? Link to writeup or vid to repair?

She bought this 15+ months ago so warranty ain’t gonna help
if no answers here I will contact Epever. I’m just thinking a ‘domestic’ solution might be faster. I’m annoyed. Clearly a manufacturing defect I didn’t predict.
Not mad at or dissing Epever I just don’t want to deal with it being new.

So nobody has repaired one of these?

I’ll pop an email to Epever. If I can get the dang terminal exposed and removed isn’t really the question; it was assembled so disassembly is possible.
I just have never needed to do anything with that style of wire clamp or a charge controller and have no idea if it’s proprietary or parts bin and available.

On one hand it’s working fine. On the other hand, that screw broke away with way less force than I’d like to see on the wire. Confidence level.

Email to Epever sent.
Another thought: If anyone has a dead/burned out AN50 or AN60 I’ll pay shipping to be able to scavenge the part.

Epever wasn’t ver helpful:

Unfortunately, you have to contact your seller to get it if it is under warranty.
We recommend you welding the cable to the screw via soldering iron, it is the fastest and and easiest way.
Thanks in advance and have a wonderful day!

Best Regards
Bianca Chen
EPEVER Support

I’m not too keen on soldering to the terminal and depending on solder alone. I’d really like the correct part although I suppose I could probably source some wire terminals and solder them in place.

Any thoughts besides soldering my solar panel cable to the terminal/board?

A picture would be helpful. THe way I see this is a stripped set screw, and I’d try retapping with a an oversized set screw or helicoil, but I could have it pictured all wrong.

I did see in a recent manual for a Victron product, it recommends using many stranded wire like welding cable and not seven stranded wire like I had been using. Probably for the same reasons.

THe way I see this is a stripped set screw, and I’d try retapping with a an oversized set screw or helicoil,
The screw head is broken off the shank. It was defective (crooked) upon initial removal from the box and attempted hookup.

While I can think of several repair options I’d sorta like the connector to be functional.
A terminal from a burnt out unit would be acceptable.

Carefully drill the center of the headless screw and use an EZ out.

Unless you’re lucky enough to find a replacement terminal.

Back