diy solar

diy solar

Epever Triron and cold temp solar disconnect

Newenough

In another another thread the OP brought up low temp disconnect, which lead off to a much larger low volatge train and not using Victron battery protect. But, what cought my attention was someone (sorry, I forgot who) mentioned that the Epever Triron series will cut off during a low temp situation. I looked through the online manual and it does show where you can set a temp range (high and low) but it does not say it will stop charging when the range is exceeded. Can anyone confirm this is in fact the case? The google has nothing to add.

That's awesome. Must have "man read" it the first time. Looks like I'm ordering new controllers! I also like the modular nature of them. Was also wondering if they can be set as a master- slave setup with more than one unit or do they need to be individually programmed? Not a big deal but would be convenient.

Not sure about that. I don't really understand the whole master slave modules. I 'think' the master one lets you read information from other epever devices on the controllers display, ie, plug their inverter into the master module and control it from there, and the slave module lets you read information from the unit, ie that little box you plug in that displays solar info. They also have relays on the device, and whilst I can't think of a use for them now I'm sure at some point they'll come in handy.

I couldn't buy the 4215 in the UK ,only the 4210, which wasn't good for my panels as I wanted around 100v input. I ordered it from this seller on Ali, they declared $30 customs for me so I didn't have to pay anything and delivery was within 1 week. It says it comes with master relay but it came with slave.

For reference, when I looked through the user manuals for the various charge controllers EPever do their cheaper AN Tracers also have this low temp disconnect function, but the models above 40A make no reference to it, so without someone confirming I have no idea if it's possible or we're stuck with maximum 40A.

Last edited:
I ordered the 4210 as I did not see a 4215 even listed (Amazon). But I looked at the data sheet and both the 4210 and 15 have the same 1040w/24v limit which I found kinda odd. But as I like having one controller for every set of 4x240w panels at ( for redundancy) it still works for me. Thanks for the advice. Ill have it Sunday and will give it a good test. I also picked up Thornwave Labs Powermon installed it today. Gives me lots of data on voltage, temp, consumption, and lots more. Bluetooth to my house with the app installed on an Android tablet mounted to the wall.

4 x 240w panels will have an open circuit voltage of over 100v though no? If they do then you need the 4215 which is 150v

Run 2S2P for each set of 4. Puts it well within range at 60ish volts and 16ish amps at 960ish watts. A lot of ish's but it should be good.

Edit....75ish for the max VOC. So it may be close on the total watts, but again that's in a perfect world...we'll see Sunday.

Last edited:
I ordered the 4210 as I did not see a 4215 even listed (Amazon). But I looked at the data sheet and both the 4210 and 15 have the same 1040w/24v limit which I found kinda odd. But as I like having one controller for every set of 4x240w panels at ( for redundancy) it still works for me. Thanks for the advice. Ill have it Sunday and will give it a good test. I also picked up Thornwave Labs Powermon installed it today. Gives me lots of data on voltage, temp, consumption, and lots more. Bluetooth to my house with the app installed on an Android tablet mounted to the wall.
ScottyBeee,
I've been trying to find someone who has confirmed that the low temp cut-off on the epever scc actually works. Did you ever get your unit installed and have you been able to test the low temp cut-off? Thank you.

I now have 6 units in operation. Great timing on your question, as I just tested all of them for cold temp cut off this past week when I relocated all the equipment. I tested them by submerging the temp sensor of each unit in a glass of ice water. Each went into alert stage, and shutoff charging at the programmed temp of 25C. Once removed from the water, I held them in my hand a few seconds to warm up and they started charging again. I was surprised at how fast the sensor/unit responded. So far, I'm very happy with them. Even getting the Bluetooth setup done was fairly easy. Though the software itself has a few quirks and can use some work....

Thanks for the details and confirming their operation. Is there a specific setting that needs to be changed to enable low temp cutoff vs the normal temperature compensation? Were you using 25C just for testing? I assume that should be changed to close to 0C. Thanks.

You can find the low temp setting in the software (android) under Battery Settings. Sorry, I meant 5c (41f),. not 25c for the low temp cut off.

Yep you need the bluetooth dongle, or the computer software to program it. There isn't a setting on the MT50 controller.

Back