diy solar

diy solar

Equalization and load. Renogy Rover 40 Amp SCC

Ryujin

Solar Enthusiast
HI yet again!
I was reading through my Renogy Rove SCC manual, and it says that for the AGM batteries we have it will do an Equalization every 28 days. The data sheet for the batteries says Equalization voltage of 14.2 volts. The Rover manual says the Equalization is 14.6 for Sealed Lead Acid (for 2 hours). The manual also says 14.4 V for Boost (28.8 V for the 24 V system), yet I have seen it be in boost and hit 29.2 V.

Should I be concerned about the Boost having been higher than the manual states? It currently seems to be at the voltage the manual describes.
Should I be concerned about the Equalization being higher than the batteries 14.2? It doesn't seem like that will be too much if the boost is higher.

Definitely related, the manual says to make sure there is no load while the equalization is happening. I could see why having a lower voltage than boost would make sense with no load. Does anyone have any ideas on how to ensure there is no load when the Equalization happens other than manually turning off my inverter?

One final question:
The Data sheet for the AGM batteries has a discharge range of -4 F to 140 F.
It has a Charge range listed of 32 F to 122 F.

One of the main reasons I got AGM instead of Lithium is because we do live in a cold climate in the winter, as it was my understanding that Lead did well in the cold compared to Lithium. I'm a little concerned about the data sheet giving 32 F as the low charging point. Again, any insight is very much appreciated.

Are these stated voltage readings from the Rover display? Have you verified the readings with a digital meter?
Yes the observed voltages have been with the SCC and also the Shunt as well as the invertor. They've not been terribly consistent about seeing the same voltage. I've poked around a bit with my cheapo multimeter, I'll poke around some more and report back.

Most AGM batteries do not recomend equilisation.

Renogy Rover has temperature compensation active for lead batteries, this will increase charge voltage below 25 deg C.

Most AGM batteries allow charging below 32F depending on SOC, for a 50% SOC the limit is -20C or -4F.

Renogy Rover has temperature compensation active for lead batteries, this will increase charge voltage below 25 deg C.

Most AGM batteries allow charging below 32F depending on SOC, for a 50% SOC the limit is -20C or -4F.
That temperature difference would explain a lot, thanks or reassuring me that we might be ok next winter :)

Still plan on buying a generator before then, as well as maybe trying to heat up the battery storage with a panel during the day. Depending on funds, I'll hopefully be experimenting with a LiFe battery bank in the next year. Definitely seems like the superior choice if you can afford it, the BMS, and manage to keep the temperature high enough.

But as a noobie I don't regret starting out with these AGM's. At least not yet...

Back