diy solar

diy solar

Europe, 3 phase, 3x inverter balancing question

no112358

Hello

This is my first post here. I would like to state that I'm from Europe, just so there's no confusion since there's differences in electrical stuff.

I'm thinking of building a 3 phase system with 3x inverters, batteries and solar.

My house has three apartments in it and each apartment has single phase electrical loads spread over the three phases, example:

apartment 1:
electric stove L1,
water heater L2,
dryer L3,

apartment 2:
water heater L1,
dryer L2,
electric stove L3

apartment 3:
dryer L1,
electric stove L2,
water heater L3

The loads on the grid can get very unbalanced.

I know using one 3 phase inverter could create balancing problems, some allow up to 50% power difference, but does using 3 separate inverters solve the unbalanced load problem?

I tried to explain it as best as I could.

Either say you need to size the inverter for the worst-case imbalance, or rely on the utility to cover it.

Either say you need to size the inverter for the worst-case imbalance, or rely on the utility to cover it.
I understand that, I was wondering if the 3x inverters would even work in a case like this, because I know the one big 3 phase inverter would have balance problems and error out.

Without knowing which products you are trying to compare. The only answer is, maybe.
If the 3 phase inverter is a high frequency unit. It's just 3 inverters in one case. So, there is no difference.

Do you have nameplate data for the major equipment? A US dryer uses a lot more power than most European ones as an example.

Are you trying to be off-grid or just save on the electric bill?

Do you have nameplate data for the major equipment? A US dryer uses a lot more power than most European ones as an example.

Are you trying to be off-grid or just save on the electric bill?
not gonna go offgrid, I don't have enough space for solar.

I don't know exactly how much power the devices use. 2KW for water heater, 2-5KW for stove top, dryer is 1.5KW I think.

So if you are staying on grid just use a grid-tied inverter (or string inverter without battery capability) and you are fine. If power goes out it will shut off, but still saves you money.

So if you are staying on grid just use a grid-tied inverter (or string inverter without battery capability) and you are fine. If power goes out it will shut off, but still saves you money.
I am trying to create battery backup also.

I am trying to create battery backup also.
The economical way to do that with your configuration is to have critical loads panel and a house panel. Give each apartment a circuit or two from the critical loads panel.

Otherwise you are looking at needing a 30kW 3-phase inverter or (3) 10-12kW single phase inverters. US price for that is around $18-20k, plus likely $10k minimum for batteries (plus installation if applicable). The critical loads panel approach could be done for $3-5k all-in with something around a 6-9kW inverter.

The Solis RHI 3PH can be used in a 100% unbalanced 3PH situation, we have used those quite a few times in the UK.

Back