diy solar

diy solar

3-phase to inverter/charger

RSS6

I have 3-phase 127/220v (with N) supply to the house. All residential wiring is 220v using combinations of L1-L2, L2-L3, or L1-L3.

For a 2 or 3 circuit critical loads panel, what 48v (3-5k) inverter/chargers will accept two 127v hot lines and output 220v while powered and in inverter-only mode.

Hope you someone will help. Thank you.

There are a number of 220V inverters for Europe, but they may be for 220/380Y and only switch one hot leg.
You would want both legs switched.

What frequency, 50 Hz or 60 Hz?

There are 3-phase inverters, also single phase which can be connected with 120 degree phase angle.
I use SMA Sunny Island 6048US (and 5048US). With three connected for 3-phase, it can accept one or more 120V legs and produce the missing legs. It can operate (I think) with just two inverters, making or passing L1 and L2 even though L3 isn't used.

I would suggest getting a suitable 3-phase inverter.
Some that I know of are 277/480Y (US market) and 230/400Y (European.)
Many use a higher voltage battery.
SolArk can be either 120V (stack 3 for 3-phase) or 120/240V. Possibly it or others configurable like it can have the two legs 120 degrees apart, you would have to inquire.

Exactly what is central to my question. My system is split phase but not like the US with 180 degree separation of L1 and L2. It seems impossible to determine which will accommodate 120 degree apart legs, or if it does not matter.

The European inverter/chargers I looked at so far require a single leg L1 and N. Perhaps a employ a transformer that will take two 127 legs and output a single leg 230 or 240 output and N?

Yes, transformer on grid feeding a European 230V inverter should work.

Transformer on inverter output can work, but is extra load and loss when operating from batteries. Only transformers optimized for this purpose ought to be used (or I have suggestions how to repurpose on-grid transformers with reduced loss.)

Victron makes 120V inverters and an auto-transformer, so you could get either 230V single phase or 115/230V split-phase. The question is whether 127V and 50Hz are OK for a particular model.

While you're at it, ask Victron if they have a 230V inverter that disconnects from both legs on input (and has a relay for bonding to ground when disconnected from grid.)

I think you ought to find a 3-phase inverter that matches your voltages and frequency.

Using individual inverters, European Sunny Island 8.0H is for 230V to neutral at 50 Hz.
US model Sunny Island 6048-US is 120V 60 Hz. It may or may not do what you want set for 50 Hz; I understand some of its features get broken when used for 50 Hz.

Victron has both European and American voltages, and supports stacking for 3-phase. You could contact them and see if they can handle 50 Hz and 127V nominal legs (also ask if just L1 and L2 no L3 is OK.)

And then there are probably quite a few Chinese inverters for various world markets.

Back