diy solar

diy solar

EV Charging with Solar

Geokilroy

I have searched this forum and could not find this question. Looking into purchasing an EV. How much solar and batteries is needed to fast charge typical EV?
With California mandating all electric by 2035 and the state of their grid, us less knowledgeable folks would like a ballpark answer for a typical set-up EV charging only. I know there are many variables but an answer for approx how much solar and battery is needed. Since most will be charging at night and not much sun hence the batterys.

Example: I live in Las Vegas NV. Lots of sun (about 7hrs in summer and 4 hours in winter)
I already have a grid-tie system now without battery back-up. My buyback program with Nevada Power keeps me at minimum bill right now. I would like to know about a separate stand alone system to only do the EV fast charging due to the time required to use slow charge. Just the total amount of solar power and total battery power needed typically. I can factor in the additional parts myself (SCC, inverter, etc...). Just ballpark numbers.

George....

Youtube @jehugarcia recently got his Rivian (EV truck) and did a few youtubes on it / charging. Here's a 'fast charging one' (e.g. 412v @ 494a) at 1:56 into it.... Fast charging is at the level of 800a@240v - e.g. 4 x times a standard 200a home service!

Near this youtube in time are home charging tubes etc. This will give you the scale of power needed for your situation. The short answer - it can be A LOT of solar :)

If we assume 100kwh battery size on the ev, and that you will be using a 48v solar setup, and that there are zero losses, you will need about 2000ah of storage to charge your ev.

So you would need 20 Eg4 48v 100ah batteries @1,500 ea so $30,000 for batteries alone

How much solar and batteries is needed to fast charge typical EV?
Fast charging is expensive. It is DC based and the available equipment is limited. I have had EVs since 2012 and overnight charging takes ten seconds to connect and by morning one of my EVs is full. Rates are cheaper overnight, but now I mostly charge during the day to fill up the kWhs and I only use solar. The cost of overnight charging from the grid is about $0.23 per kWh. The cost of my own solar production is about $0.05 per kWh so that is why I charge when the sun is out. I do have batteries but I calculated that it costs me $.20 per kWh to store energy so using my pack to charge my EVs does not make sense. My pack is used to reduce or eliminate my consumption of power at peak times when the rate is $0.55 per kWh.

Back