diy solar

diy solar

EV under $10k USD with Sodium Ion Batteries???

Last time I was in Europe (~20 years ago) they had cars that I referred to as a "wheelchair with a cab".
You guys seem to like to drive trucks, then again I have been on a highway there that had so many potholes, people were going 60km per hour so we could avoid most of them.

You guys seem to like to drive trucks, then again I have been on a highway there that had so many potholes, people were going 60km per hour so we could avoid most of them.
We have pot holes because we have a lot of pot with seeds that pop and burn pot holes.

IMG_3274.jpeg

we let our infrastructure decline while the wealthy lined their pockets with ~ $32 trillion dollars which is our national debt passed onto the citizens. Passed onto the ppl that drive over those pot hole roads to make a living so we can pay just the interest on that increasing debt. We are brilliant now stay off our roads and stay in your country ….. take the money we will surely send your country and live in peace. You are welcome.

• No one knows how much, if at all, CO2 emissions will decline as EV use rises. Every claim for EVs reducing emissions is a rough estimate or an outright guess based on averages, approximations, or aspirations. The variables and uncertainties in emissions from energy-intensive mining and processing of minerals used to make EV batteries are a big wild card in the emissions calculus. Those emissions substantially offset reductions from avoiding gasoline and, as the demand for battery minerals explodes, the net reductions will shrink, may vanish, and could even lead to a net increase in emissions. Similar emissions uncertainties are associated with producing the power for EV charging stations.
  • No one knows when or whether EVs will reach economic parity with the cars that most people drive. An EV’s higher price is dominated by the costs of the critical materials that are needed to build it and is thus dependent on guesses about the future of mining and minerals industries, which are mainly in foreign countries. The facts also show that, for the majority of drivers, there’s no visibility for when, if ever, EVs will reach parity in cost and fueling convenience, regardless of subsidies.
  • Ultimately, if implemented, bans on conventionally powered vehicles will lead to draconian impediments to affordable and convenient driving and a massive misallocation of capital in the world’s $4 trillion automotive industry.
  • Rarely has a government, at least the U.S. government, banned specific products or behaviors that are so widely used or undertaken. Indeed, there have been only two comparably far-reaching bans in U.S. history: the Eighteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which prohibited the consumption of alcohol (repealed by the Twenty-First Amendment); and the 1974 law prohibiting driving faster than 55 mph. Neither achieved its goals; both were widely flouted, and the first one engendered unintended consequences, not least of which was criminal behavior.

Sources of “Hidden” Energy to Mine and Process 500,000 Pounds per EV Battery

• Lithium brines contain @ ~0.14% lithium, so that entails ~20,000 pounds of brines to yield 30 pounds of pure lithium.
  • Cobalt @ ~0.1% ore grades means ~60,000 pounds of ore dug up per battery
  • Nickel @ ~1.3% grade, means ~10,000 pounds of ore
  • Graphite @ ~10% leads to 2,000 pounds of ore
  • Copper @ ~0.6% yields about 12,000 pounds of ore
  • These five elements total ~100,000 pounds of ore to fabricate one EV battery. To properly account for all the earth moved, there’s also the overburden, the materials first dug up to get to the ore; depending on ore type and location, it averages three to seven tons of overburden removed to access each ton of ore, thus ~500,000 pounds total.
  • The energy used to obtain a pound of metal depends on the mineral ore grades, the size and nature of a mine, the distances that materials are transported, and the nature of the grids and fuels used at specific mines. For copper, that number can vary at least twofold and for nickel by threefold. Getting accurate information is complicated by the fact that 80%–90% of relevant minerals are mined outside the U.S. and EU.

Depends on who is doing the digging.

IMG_3459.jpeg
“There are thousands of children who dig for cobalt in remote hills, such as these near Likasi.SIDDHARTH KARA/THE GLOBE AND MAIL”

Svetz have you ever done hard manual labor as part of your job?

“There are thousands of children who dig for cobalt
The solution is simple, don't buy products with cobalt. LFP batteries for example have no cobalt. ref
Rivian, Tesla, and Ford are embracing LFP batteries ref

Elon Musk To Audit Lithium Mine and Place Webcam To Ensure No Child Labor

Svetz have you ever done hard manual labor as part of your job?
Yes, but please stop trolling the conversation away from the topic by attacking people with innuendo. It's particularly low.
I started working jobs while in elementary school. Used to be people thought work was good for kids. Slave-labor is obviously bad, not giving adults jobs so kids are forced to work for less pay is bad, dangerous conditions are certainly bad, global warming and destroying their futures is certainly bad. But if it's sitting on your ass in the afternoon after school versus being able to make some money to help feed your baby sister, I know I wouldn't want some dumb-ass Karen in a foreign country telling me what I can and cannot do.

Last edited:
The solution is simple, don't buy products with cobalt. LFP batteries for example have no cobalt. ref

Elon Musk To Audit Lithium Mine and Place Webcam To Ensure No Child Labor

Yes, but please stop trolling the conversation away from the topic by attacking people with innuendo. It's particularly low.
I started working jobs while in elementary school. Used to be people thought work was good for kids. Slave-labor is obviously bad, not giving adults jobs so kids are forced to work for less pay is bad, dangerous conditions are certainly bad, global warming and destroying their futures is certainly bad. But if it's sitting on your ass in the afternoon after school versus being able to make some money to help feed your baby sister, I know I wouldn't want some dumb-ass Karen in a foreign country telling me what I can and cannot do.
You do realize when a person makes an initial post like op that they-you are fishing for responses….

What is a karen ? that is actually racist and sexist.

really not a good idea to tell ppl how to think or post. it is shedding your own guilt over what you know is happening. Especially when you are a party to govt spending where child labor is used in foreign country but not here. Hmmmmm ….. reads sounds bad. You got any kids that can do some digging? We can use some cheap child labor - help when start mining lithium here in USA. It will cut cost. We use to love dig in and play in dirt for my generation. We did not have nintendo ps and xbox.

don’t worry because Biden stated he was going to have Elon looked into …..maybe we know why now..the kids probably work for him. ????

So again ….. Have you ever had a physically hard labor job? I have and it is no fun. We maybe getting to your tension area.

IMG_3463.jpeg
Amazing we can have floods and droughts at the same time.

Back