diy solar

diy solar

EV under $10k USD with Sodium Ion Batteries???

There was a segment near the end about why some thought it might be fake and another on why CATLs sodium batteries aren't like previous generations.

We need to get rid of the horse and move to less dung-ridden flea-bitten tech.

As i said, anything coming from China is deception. China has never been an innovator, all they can do is copy.

But, you are consistent at least with your armchair theories :)

Reactions: D71
And here it is from the horses mouth, the real agenda behind "EV"

You will own nothing. (And the parasite class will own everything and rent it to you, if you behave (ie. take your 285th booster, etc)

That's why we are in DIY Solar Forum and don't pay for electric. I love being free and independent. I'm producing everything myself.
Power, Water, Food, and thanks to EV - transportation. No government required. I don't care when gas prices go up or down, or electric.

We just got an EV for my wife, been off grid 30 years.
Before now, it just wasn't practical.

With commercial chargers installed locally in the last year, and the rebuild, expanded capacity of our system in 2020 we can now reliably charge at home without cutting anything else short.

Her work installed free daytime chargers for workers with EVs, a perk at work.

The infrastructure is finally here, and most of the kinks/bugs have been worked out of EVs, so why not?

We do a lot of farming, we get exactly what we want, and we use solar to preserve it.
With the exception of meat, Switching from anything that smokes to electro-magnetic induction.
Faster/higher production, much more consistent, cleaner/less clean up.

You apparently have being trained by your masters to go to a Gas station every week.

What farmers call "Stump Broke".
Milk cows used to stand by stumps or stools to get milked everyday...

BTW. I just looked at your post history, and you have no solar related posts whatsoever. Just posting in Chit Chat and trying to push your Anti Renewable Energy Agenda? Why are you here again?

Well, I'd say he got an internet connection and now thinks he's a 'Genius'.
Lots of those Boobtube 'Degrees' out there.

Still hasn't figured out it's not what you find on the internet, but where it's from...

If you drink from a septic tank your breath is going to smell like crap.
See any of his posts for bad examples of source material.

aenyc, 79 year old and am powering my modest home 100% from a 6 kilowatt system with 30 kilowatts lipo4 batteries

YOU ROCK!

Plenty of reserve power for those no-sun days that DO happen, and once the weather front move over, full recharge in a couple days.

Just excellent!

with a total cost of around $15000 USD which was lying around in a savings account earning 0.1% interest. This system is saving me around $150 a month at present and it is sure to increase year by year.

Home Economics.
The most useful classes I ever took in high school, saved me $100s of thousands in loan interest, budgeting, taught me real life skills.
And the principal thought he was 'Punishing' me for not playing sports...

Your 'Savings' interest will never beat the finance fees, put your money to WORK.
$15k was NEVER going to pay you $150 monthly sitting in the bank...

That is 6 kW of panels and 2 3 kW inverters. Have more than 60 years of electrical experience so had no problem doing it all on my own.

I like redundancy, parallel inverters!
Off grid, it's just YOU, so redundancy built in, even if its just half power, it's still POWER.

And I like running them at about 80%-85% load capacity so they are doing the job efficiently without getting into heat transfer issues, what usually kills electronics...

This is not far from me. This guy owned 2 Teslas

That would be the equivalent if not better then Ford and his model “T”

which likely Mean: the Chinese will own the EV Market

It seems they have a crap shoot, evolution by process of elimination approach to things.

No shortage of fires, failures, etc but they are going at break-neck speed into EVs.
I wish we could get more unbiased information, but it is what it is.

I'd like to have a small, slightly extended cab pickup with an unloaded range of about 250-300 miles FOR REASONABLE MONEY.

I'm old, I need a bathroom every 200-250 miles anyway...

What I don't need is every whistle & bell anyone can dream up. Just basic, reliable transportation and reasonable climate control, cruise control.

I don't even care about power windows, just something else to fail...

I'm old, I need a bathroom every 200-250 miles anyway...
haha ;) not "old" yet, but massive coffee addict here and barely make it 150 miles in one sitting. (either run out of coffee or bladder capacity)

Hitting the bathrooms every 2 hours. I just charge when ever I stop, which is plenty enough that I never run out of charge. A reliable 250 mile Sodium Ion EV for little money would be perfect. My EV gets 130 miles and it's fine for 360 days in the year.

What farmers call "Stump Broke".
Milk cows used to stand by stumps or stools to get milked everyday...

haha had to look that up. Good analogy.
We do a lot of farming, we get exactly what we want, and we use solar to preserve it.
Currently exploring Agri-Voltaics - have a test field covered with Bi-Facial panels for more tender vegetables which are not doing so well in full sun.

So far it looks promising, you can have production space under a Solar Carport - double land utilization.

I'd like to have a small, slightly extended cab pickup with an unloaded range of about 250-300 miles FOR REASONABLE MONEY.

The problem is that with current EV tech, its pretty much impossible. Get a Toyota Corolla, it will do all those things for fraction of the EV cost. (because you are not hauling jack in your EV pickup, lol)

Only 86K for 170 miles range LOL.

What I don't need is every whistle & bell anyone can dream up. Just basic, reliable transportation and reasonable climate control, cruise control.

I don't even care about power windows, just something else to fail...

And yet you are buying an EV..... What an upside down clown world you live in.

Also Why do you need a pickup exactly? Seems that the current state you are in healthwise, a Corolla would be more then enough.

Last edited:
And yet you are buying an EV..... What an upside down clown world you live in.

Also Why do you need a pickup exactly?
Farm work, big dirty things to carry. Drive a lot but not far - so EVs are perfect.

Every time I move my Pickup there is either something in bed (dirt, hay, gravel etc) or something on the hitch ball. I don't use the truck for errands. My EV is for that.

Only 86K for 170 miles range LOL.
one of the few things I agree with you on.

That's what this thread is for - Sodium Ion can solve that issue - much much cheaper batteries. We need a affordable cars and truck with 200 miles not luxury status symbols. I've signed on for the F150 Lightning Pro - but they only want to sell the XLT or higher trims.

The Auto-market starts looking like back in 80s in eastern Europe. Only the rich people get the good cars.
Everyone else gets crappy cars which hadn't been changed for the last two decades (literarily there is no advancement in engine tech since the early 2000s) yeah they put new badges on and change the bodycolors, but nothing new since 2002.

Sodium Ion is pipe dream.
I have posted this many times.
Not only the quirks are not worked out, the issue is energy density is much worse. So even if (and its a major if) the quirks are somehow worked out, Na chemistry will never work in EV due to greatly increased mass and reduced range (much less energy density).

EV concept is only feasible if the three elephants i keep mentioning are solved, and so far its not looking likely, even in the long run.

You are completely wrong about auto market. These days you get 4 bangers producing from 200 to 300 HP due to all the recent optimizations, they also pollute very little. You have V6 engines that produce 400HP while still getting 30 MPG! My 20214 Audi TDI has an excellent V6 diesel engine that can tow 4000LB, and under normal conditions gets almost 650 Miles on a 20 Gallon Tank fully loaded with a full roof box and 4 people! In fact most modern ICE and Hybrid vehicles produce almost no toxic exhaust. (CO2 is not a pollutant no matter what the sold out career mainstream "scientists" tell us).
And even a Corolla has enough tech in its baseline package that did not exist in the Mercedes S class of 2002.

Last edited:
My 20214 Audi TDI has an excellent V6 diesel engine that can tow 4000LB, and under normal conditions gets almost 650 Miles on a 20 Gallon Tank fully loaded with a full roof box and 4 people!
I raise your Audi and bet a 1995 Volvo 850 / V70 TDI. Gets 46 MPG and tows 3800 lbs.
You could get a 2.3L 5 Cylinder Gas engine in Europe making 300HP 25 years ago. With a 500.000 mile life expectancy.

Like I said nothing new, very little improvement in the last 20 years. Pollution from gas vehicles was as low back then as it is today. Diesel got slightly better.

Like I said nothing new, very little improvement in the last 20 years.

Are you serious? There has been a lot of improvement that i stated right above, and you say there is none? You are not paying attention.

Are you serious? There has been a lot of improvement that i stated right above, and you say there is none? You are not paying attention.
Name a ICE car with a metric which you think improved and I counter with a car from the 90s and early 2000s which is as good or better.

Name a ICE car with a metric which you think improved and I counter with a car from the 90s and early 2000s which is as good or better.

Any ICE car.
As i said, a 2023 Corolla has more features than a Mercedes S class from 2002 ( You original date).
Engines alone became much more powerful, while at the same time becoming much more efficient and lowering emissions significantly (Most modern ICE engines are ULEV, even the high power V6 ones such as the one in my 2023 BMW, which is rated at almost 400HP and still gets 31 MPG. The car also accelerates 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. No V6 was capable of that in 2000).
And i wont even mention the plethora of safety and entertainment features that are now on ever car, starting from the cheapest Hyudai and Kia, all the way to MB and BMW.

Any ICE car.
As i said, a 2023 Corolla has more features than a Mercedes S class from 2002 ( You original date).
Engines alone became much more powerful, while at the same time becoming much more efficient and lowering emissions significantly (Most modern ICE engines are ULEV, even the high power V6 ones such as the one in my 2023 BMW, which is rated at almost 400HP and still gets 31 MPG. The car also accelerates 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. No V6 was capable of that in 2000).
And i wont even mention the plethora of safety and entertainment features that are now on ever car, starting from the cheapest Hyudai and Kia, all the way to MB and BMW.
lets talk POWERTRAIN not badging and slapping on new colors. Entertainment doesn't count as progress. It's only there to mask the ancient parts beneath.

Safety: 2023 Corolla

Safety 2003 Volvo S80:
The 2003 is as good or better.

BMW never made a V6 production engine, only inline 6 not sure which car are you taking about.

But still to have comparison:

1990 Opel Lotus Omega​

3.0L Inline 6 Turbo 377 horsepower and 419 pound-feet (568 Newton-meters) of torque delivered to the rear wheels.

While getting 29MPG

I mean the 90s are almost beating your car. I didn't even needed to search the 2000s.

BYD sales are really taking off...

2022070309203466.jpg

Why is Warren Buffet’s…. china investment, BYD not here yet? What are they afraid of? Will the byd not pass the USA safety testing or what?

Last time I was in Europe (~20 years ago) they had cars that I referred to as a "wheelchair with a cab".

Back