diy solar

diy solar

Eve LF280K cells 6000 cycles?

As time passes and you all get older the jokes about “whose is bigger” and still getting it up every day will clearly increase. 12kWh will be a metaphor I imagine.

6000 cycles... You intend to leave the batteries in your last will to your children? Even if you did cycle the batteries down each night and up each day, which you wont, it is 16 years.
I'm not planning on clocking out in the next 16 years, so... No.

LOL humor is not laughable when we realize life is shorter than we think. And time flies when we are having fun, this is solar alternative energy thing is fun. If you are 60 doing this stuff, well the body aches and the mind is full of stuff, but then I imagine fewer of you are 60+, and yes our wives tend to outlive us by 10 years, but they don't need 2000+ square feet after the kids are raised and we are dead. So smaller quarters are often the first thing to look at when the cost of living is way beyond income level. I'm doing all I can to prepare this large old farmhouse for my departure one day and her survivability here because she loves it so much. Alas, I am trying but at the rate, local property taxes increase it will take more than 50% of her monthly Social Security check just to pay the taxes and insurance. Food, medical care for older people, medicine? These are luxuries beyond resources if you are paying an electric bill. If she tires of yardwork and home repair before I go, we will JUMP on a smaller place. If I'm lucky the farm here will but a nice home in a retirement village where I can still put a solar panel on the roof, with a contractor. LOL

Last edited:
Has someone found out exactly what was done internally to improve the cycle count or did increasing the size alone account for the improvement? Just more "material" while keeping it same AH rating? Trying to determine if extra $30/cell is worth it.

Has someone found out exactly what was done internally to improve the cycle count or did increasing the size alone account for the improvement? Just more "material" while keeping it same AH rating? Trying to determine if extra $30/cell is worth it.
I doubt EVE is going to share that with anyone.

You would be guaranteed that they haven't been sitting around a warehouse somewhere for a couple of years.

I doubt EVE is going to share that with anyone.

You would be guaranteed that they haven't been sitting around a warehouse somewhere for a couple of years.
I've seen some youtubers cutting apart others cells so wasn't sure if someone already tried it with one of those yet ;)

I've seen some youtubers cutting apart others cells so wasn't sure if someone already tried it with one of those yet ;)
Ahhh .... gotch. I haven't seen any of those, but hope they are taking all the necessary precautions. There are some pretty nasty chemicals in them.

Yeah, it's obvious what affected the cycle count; they changed how the test is performed!
If you look at the LF280K datasheet as compared to the previous model LF280N, (both are available in the Resources section) you'll notice that the newer 6,000 cycle lifetime is based on charging and discharging at 0.5C rate. The LF280N was rated based on charging and discharging at 1C.

That's the difference. The cells are the same internally, and the idea that the change in testing regimen is the distinguishing difference was confirmed by EVE to another member here a few days ago. I'll try to find the thread
edit: The cycle count will of course vary depending on the temperature, compression, and other parameters

Double edit: The post I was thinking of refers to a response received from an EVE vendor, and NOT directly from the manufacturer, link:

Last edited:
I bought the LF280N from Dongguan Lightning, and they provided me with the battery test data, and the capacity can reach 290Ah. But recently, it seems that LF280K was newly released, so I went to consult Hayley of Dongguan Lightning. She said that they both have LF280N and LF280K in stock.

I bought the LF280N from Dongguan Lightning, and they provided me with the battery test data, and the capacity can reach 290Ah. But recently, it seems that LF280K was newly released, so I went to consult Hayley of Dongguan Lightning. She said that they both have LF280N and LF280K in stock.

She shared with me the specifications of 280N and 280K. There may be some differences in size and cycle life. In addition, she also said that 280N is more suitable for energy storage in terms of parameters, and 280K is more suitable for power?

I have to recommend her Hayley from Dongguan Lightning again, she looks very young lol...More importantly, she is very patient to answer all my questions. She is the best! link to her:https://shandian.en.alibaba.com/pro...?spm=a2700.shop_plser.41413.55.76591c39WD9Ab2 This is the link of LF280N, of course you can ask her LF280K
Yep. I bought my cells from her, too. They were indeed grade A cells (or as close to it as these cells from china can be). They're currently powering a 4000w inverter in my RV. Runs a minisplit 24/7. I'm just getting things finished up. I've got some cabinet building and cleanup to do, yet. I've been letting the batteries cycle (i have shore power, so when they've depleted after a couple days, inverter's charger kicks in). solar and shore charges them while shore powers the load.

Yeah, it's obvious what affected the cycle count; they changed how the test is performed!
If you look at the LF280K datasheet as compared to the previous model LF280N, (both are available in the Resources section) you'll notice that the newer 6,000 cycle lifetime is based on charging and discharging at 0.5C rate. The LF280N was rated based on charging and discharging at 1C.

That's the difference. The cells are the same internally, and the idea that the change in testing regimen is the distinguishing difference was confirmed by EVE to another member here a few days ago. I'll try to find the thread
edit: EVE stated that you should expect the same cycle count from either model, but that the cycle count will of course vary depending on the temperature, compression, and other parameters

I don't think we can make the assumption that is the only difference.

I don't think we can make the assumption that is the only difference.
Yeah, the external dimensions are also slightly larger so something besides just changing test is different. Why make that change then since it would have been easier to just change the test and keep same dimensions and say they have higher cycle count?

Was comparing the data sheets and the LF280K is 1/4lb heavier as well but would like it if there was an explanation as @RobertGreen mentioned why the cycle life test was done at different charge and discharge rate compared to the LF280N.

Was comparing the data sheets and the LF280K is 1/4lb heavier as well but would like it if there was an explanation as @RobertGreen mentioned why the cycle life test was done at different charge and discharge rate compared to the LF280N.
When I read over the sheets, I too noticed the slight weight differences, the slight height difference, the terminals being spaced farther apart.
If I recall correctly, the charging/discharging temperature limits were just slightly different too.
It seems like a 0.5C charge/discharge rate is a better fit for the kinds of conditions that a solar or offgrid battery bank is likely to encounter in real life service compared to the previous 1C, at least for users like myself. I wonder how they performed the test exactly, though, because at 0.5 C, it would take 2 hours to discharge, then 2 hours to charge again; you could only do 6 cycles per day on an automated setup. It would take 1000 days (almost 3 years) to reach the 6000 cycles that they specified.

If you think of it in lead acid terms, maybe it's kinda like the difference between a cranking battery and a deep cycle battery.
Different plate composition that gives it more cycles .... but less current capacity.

Downside from ordering with Hayley is you don't get to track the vessel. Amy on the other hand provides this information.

Back