diy solar

diy solar

Expandable system

KorKoro

I'm going to buy a travel trailer this summer. Eventually, I would like to power it with with Will's 400w system. Will I be able to build this 400w system using the components but start with 1 100w panel and 1 Battle Born battery and add panels and batteries later?

Thanks KorKoro

Hi KorKoro ,

welcome to the forum.

short answer: yes. solar systems are almost always expendable.

Personally, I would not buy battle born for its high price.
if you don't mind little DIY, you get triple the Ah for even lower price.

Cells you can buy from Alibaba, and with DDP (incoterm) you get tem hassle free at your home, all costs paid.
link on this forum for more info

Depending on where you are travelling, 1 x 100w panel might be on the low side.
Sunny California and real low poer usage, it can be done.

Everything between the battery and the loads/sources stays the same.
The upgrade path is 12, 24 and 48 volts which corresponds to an inverter wattage of up to 2400, 4800 and 9600 watts.

Code:
+ battery<->mrbf_fuse<->main_cable<->disconnect_switch<->busbar|<->inverter_cable<->inverter/charger
                                                               |<-charge_cable<-scc_breaker<-solar charge controller<-breaker<-to_panels

- battery<->main_cable<------------------------->shunt<->busbar|<->inverter_cable<-> inverter/charger
                                                               |->charge_cable->solar charge controller->to_panels

mrbf_fuse = 250 amp
main_cable = 2/0 awg
inverter_cable = 2/0 awg
charge_cable = 6 awg
scc_breaker = 50 amp
shunt = 250 amp

Last edited:
Thanks, Being a complete noob, I wanted to first go with a standard known product. Once I get going with that, I'll delve more into the DIY world.

KorKoro

For starters, the battle born batteries ( and no name clones) are a good choice.
100w panel is really small.
All panels help (a little)
Many panels = much energy.
And the flexible ones, they are light!

Price wise, if you are not ready for DIY, I would buy clone, and spend the saved money on more panels.

Especially if you like to use power when not (almost Always) connect to the grid.

For starters, the battle born batteries ( and no name clones) are a good choice.
100w panel is really small.
All panels help (a little)
Many panels = much energy.
And the flexible ones, they are light!

Price wise, if you are not ready for DIY, I would buy clone, and spend the saved money on more panels.

Especially if you like to use power when not (almost Always) connect to the grid.

My last rv, a class C, had two 100w panels and 225ah lead acid. Our only trip was a month in Louisiana, Texas and New Mexico. 80% of that trip was dry camping. There were a few days that temperatures were going to be in the 90's and we chose to be in a campground to plug in. While dry camping, we never went below 79% battery use. So, we're pretty frugal.

I've not ruled out DIY completely. I don't know much about electricity, but otherwise, I'm pretty handy.

Thanks, again, for all the suggestions.

KorKoro

My last rv, a class C, had two 100w panels and 225ah lead acid. Our only trip was a month in Louisiana, Texas and New Mexico. 80% of that trip was dry camping. There were a few days that temperatures were going to be in the 90's and we chose to be in a campground to plug in. While dry camping, we never went below 79% battery use. So, we're pretty frugal.

I've not ruled out DIY completely. I don't know much about electricity, but otherwise, I'm pretty handy.

Thanks, again, for all the suggestions.

I remember now that you were entertaining the idea of doing a system without an inverter.
I guess you changed your mind, confirm?

An expandable system can include a "buy once" charge controller with high enough PV voltage and multi-voltage output so that you can add panels and increase the voltage of your battery bank without buying another controller. The 12v - 24v jump can be more expensive if you have to buy another inverter so it can be cheaper in the long run to start with a 24 volt battery bank. This might buck the trend but if the budget is tight I'd get 2 - 4 AGMs and run 24v before using 1 Battleborn at 12v.

diy solar

diy solar
Back