diy solar

diy solar

Expanding my 4S 12V 280ah System

McDavid403

Hi, I want to expand my LifePo4 Battery System that is currently in my travel trailer to add a solar array and increase my inverter capacity. Am looking for input from the community on options pros/cons.

My current setup for my battery pack I built has:
  • 4 x EVE 280ah cells (LF280K)
  • JBD SP04S034 4S 200A with bluetooth
  • Renogy 2000w inverter
  • Upgraded WFCO trailer converter/charger to be lithium compatible
  • Custom metal battery box

I would like to expand my system to:
  • Total Battery Capacity ~800ah
  • Upgrade to the Victron 12v 3000 inverter/charger
  • Add solar (8 * 170w solar panel array)
I want to expand the batteries and upgrade the charger/inverter first and then add solar later.

For the battery, I would like to re-use what I already have as much as possible, and where the current battery is, there is space to add additional battery boxes.

Options I am considering (I would buy more of the same Eve LF280K cells):
  • Simply build another 2 x 4S 12v 280AH battery boxes. And wire all 3 in parallel.
  • Can I build a 8s 12v 280 AH battery in a custom box, and wire that one to the existing battery in parallel?
  • Should I consider a 24v system instead?

Thanks for your input in advance.

I have the Victron Multiplus 12/3000 on my MotorHome. I really love it.

The question of having a 24v inverter is complicated… yes, less voltage drop, smaller cables on a 24v system… but then you have to convert 24v to 12v to run the trailer.

At 3000 I would stay with 12v (but there are issues), if you thought you wanted to go to 5000 - then 48v.

My 12/3000 will run all small loads plus one large thing… microwave (even on convection), hair dryer, ceramic heater on high, air conditioner (w/soft start) but just a little while- don’t have the battery/solar for more than 1hr.

It will run two medium things, toaster, heater on low,etc.

If overloaded it beeps and shuts down for 1 minute then comes back on - no issues.

good Luck with your decision

Back