diy solar

diy solar

Experimental Stage

mpgmike

I acquired 32 damaged (cracked glass) 385 Watt panels along with 10 brand new 350 Watt panels, all rated for 24 volts. I have ideas to dramatically increase output and have set forth a protocol for testing; starting with one panel. I will be testing with a conventional MPPT charge controller and inverter, with a custom built graphene/Super Cap Hybrid (21700, currently used in Caterpillar hand power tools) energy storage medium. Probably going with Ampinvt 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller, as the negative comments didn't scare me, and the price is reasonable. For a load, I will use various AC appliances where I can tap an Edecoa 2000 Watt 24 VDC - 120 VAC inverter. Monitoring will be by an assortment of power meters -- Bayite meters (using a shunt). I plan on testing for at least 30 days to see how this (385 Watt panel) test panel produces with conventional Charge Controller and storage medium. I will be using Data Acquisition (DAQ) to record results over time.

Sol1.png
Sol2.png

Next, Microchip (the PIC and Arduino guys) has put out a Reference Design for MPPT Solar charging that I intend to build and test to compare the off-the-shelf version. For those with an electronics background that want to learn more, you can find the project at https://mu.microchip.com/charging-batteries-from-solar. I want to build (and program) my own version charge controller, but compare results to an off-the-shelf version with relatively good reviews. Assuming everything passes, I will begin tweaking things to see if I can squeak additional efficiencies that just aren't in the text books.

[For a preview of where I want to go, search the net for "Tesla Switch".]

Back