diy solar

diy solar

Expert Need for Off Grid System

Ok yes I’m still not quite sure of meaning of how to do an audit of someone could help me here.. yes all batteries were over 12.50 a two were 12.25. All I am using is fridge At 497kwh a year a random lights a charge phone. I bought a charge controller Mppt it’s showed no difference at all. So I just bought 6 pannels 100w each from HQST and I’m going to add this weekend to see what it does. Maybe I should charge them up with the generator then hook everything up?
What charge controller did you get

Ok yes I’m still not quite sure of meaning of how to do an audit of someone could help me here.. yes all batteries were over 12.50 an two were 12.25. All I am using is fridge At 497kwh a year a random lights a charge phone.
That's a bit low, sounds like they need to be fully charged and then stay on the charger for a good while to equalize and get balanced out. A hydrometer to check the acid levels wouldn't hurt, they're pretty cheap at any auto parts store.
I bought a charge controller Mppt it’s showed no difference at all.

Is it a REAL MPPT charge controller or a $10 PWM that has the word MPPT typed on the face? How are your panels connected up to it?
So I just bought 6 pannels 100w each from HQST and I’m going to add this weekend to see what it does.
More charging is a good thing, but lead acids are hard to top off on solar because they need to sit at a higher voltage for a long period of time to get those last few amps in there. The sun tends to go down before it gets a chance to do that.
Maybe I should charge them up with the generator then hook everything up?
That would be a good idea, leave them on the charger for a couple days so they can really soak up the watts and see where your voltages are after that.

just replaced my Vmax tank AGMs after 10 years of use.

If it was me I would get a Renogy 400 watt solar kit that comes with the rover 40Amp MPPT controller and replace the panels and controller with that and run that to a 300 or 400Ah LFP you store inside the house to keep it above freezing.

You have the inverter so no problem there.

You are looking at $530 for the solar kit and about $700 for a 300Ah battery so around $1300.

You will have a system that can run lots of smaller appliances and recharge gadgets and that should last you another 20 years or more.

That is the same basic system I use at my cabin every day.

Back