diy solar

diy solar

Extend VictronConnect App Range Hack

fwunder

OK, I haven't figured it out yet, but should be doable if Victron would allow...

It seems the data captured by the VictronConnect App is volatile. If you are out of bluetooth range, you are out of luck and can see nothing. No devices, no history, no nuthin. And the range sucks, even with "Instant Read".

If the data was logged ( at specified interval ) locally, lots of opportunities open up.

The simplest example would be with the VictronConnect App running in the background data is captured. Sometime later and out of Bluetooth range I decide I want to see what my latest status was. Instead of a blank screen with "No devices Found" the App would display the latest timestamped data. I might even be able to do some analysis from the comfort of my big leather chair in front of wood stove instead of sitting in the driveway 20 feet from my RV!

I have an older iPhone as many of us do. If the VictronConnect App would allow data to be stored ( and retrieved ) locally, the old iPhone would essentially act as a bridge saving data to an either a locally shared directory or cloud folder. Data could then be retrieved and viewed from remote device. I know it wouldn't be real time, but who really cares? Perhaps I would like a one hour refresh.

I know I could go the Raspberry PI / VE.Direct USB route, but that seems much more complicated than simply storing/retrieving captured data in a location of my choosing.

Sorry if this has already been discussed. Seems like it probably has been. I just haven't found it.

Thanks!

"If you are out of bluetooth range, you are out of luck and can see nothing. No devices, no history, no nuthin."

I don't know what you are trying to do, however you could install and run a free copy of "TeamViewer" on an old tablet / cell phone with internet access (physically located near your Bluetooth devices), in order to have control of your Bluetooth devices from anywhere on the Internet (assuming your Bluetooth devices have apps that can run on the old tablet / cell phone).

"If you are out of bluetooth range, you are out of luck and can see nothing. No devices, no history, no nuthin."

I don't know what you are trying to do, however you could install and run a free copy of "TeamViewer" on an old tablet / cell phone with internet access (physically located near your Bluetooth devices), in order to have control of your Bluetooth devices from anywhere on the Internet (assuming your Bluetooth devices have apps that can run on the old tablet / cell phone).
Thanks @z_zk_z

I simply would like to periodically review my battery/solar status when I am out of bluetooth range of Victron Smart Shunt and Solar Controller(s).

I have explored the TeamViewer or similar remote access/control technique. Still, it seems much more cumbersome than simply capturing and archiving data to a locally shared ( no internet required ) or cloud folder.

My victron SCC and shunt keeps the past 30days of trends for voltage, current, watts of each device. Sure I have to be within BT to read the data but being able to view the past 30days I can track any issues of concern.

I know you want local storage, but for those using VRM in the cloud:

Victron Connect on iOS has a “VRM” tab.
If you select it, and connect to your VenusOS device, you can see your shunt and solar controllers, etc.
I just did it on an airplane using their WiFi.
However, i don’t see the trends with today’s solar, i‘ll try again later.

....Sure I have to be within BT to read the data but being able to view the past 30days I can track any issues of concern.

Well, that's sorta my point. Seems to me that data could easily be stored locally ( App device ) instead of on the Victron device alone.

I know you want local storage, but for those using VRM in the cloud:

Victron Connect on iOS has a “VRM” tab.
If you select it, and connect to your VenusOS device, you can see your shunt and solar controllers, etc.
I just did it on an airplane using their WiFi.
However, i don’t see the trends with today’s solar, i‘ll try again later.

Just curious. Are you using Cerbo GX or something like Raspberry PI/VenusOS ?

Just curious. Are you using Cerbo GX or something like Raspberry PI/VenusOS ?

Cerbo GX. I see live solar and shunt data, but it does not appear to populate the history.
I’d like to see my solar data at the end of the day.

Does the Cerbo have features that Venus OS on Rpi does not?

I am not sure, if I should post this but I have a Cerbo GX and under some conditions (I am trying to figure it out and I don’t know if it is related to the operating system, or the software, or the device) I am able to see my Victron Bluetooth devices and adjust their settings from Internet (not using the TeamViewer). I have posted on https://community.victronenergy.com/index.html how to access my Bluetooth devices from Internet but haven’t gotten good replies. I am not sure either, if it is safe to be able to make changes to Bluetooth devices remotely.

Back