diy solar

diy solar

EXTENDING LIFEPO4 BATTERY LIFE

No, never go down to 2. That is for lead acid batteries. They have 6 cells in them. So 2 volts per cell is 12 volts.
For lifepo, it is 4 cells. So 2.5 is the lowest safely.
Many here go from a low of 3 to a high of 3.5
It works for me anyhow. :)

im mainly trying to find the 20-80% range, which I’ve found, but now I’m more concerned with my bulk and float being set the same is a problem.

LFP does not like to be stored at a high SOC, most recommend 50% or so.

LFP has very minimal self discharge.

Those two facts say use a lower float voltage to me. I can’t see a good reason to float at the top of your charge range.

LFP does not like to be stored at a high SOC, most recommend 50% or so.

LFP has very minimal self discharge.

Those two facts say use a lower float voltage to me. I can’t see a good reason to float at the top of your charge range.
I’m talking for day to day use. So if it’s being used daily it’s ok to keep my float the same as bulk?

EDIT: so from what I’m reading, I would want my battery to stay at 56v, so wouldn’t keeping the float at 56v with the bulk charge at 56, make it keep the batteries at 56 until usage? Isn’t that the point?
Maybe I wasn’t over thinking this lol

I’m talking for day to day use. So if it’s being used daily it’s ok to keep my float the same as bulk?

EDIT: so from what I’m reading, I would want my battery to stay at 56v, so wouldn’t keeping the float at 56v with the bulk charge at 56, make it keep the batteries at 56 until usage? Isn’t that the point?
[Unscrews their brain] yes, over thinking this. :)

Maybe just one less cup of coffee today. lol ;) ?:ROFLMAO:

[Unscrews their brain] yes, over thinking this. :)

Maybe just one less cup of coffee today. lol ;) ?:ROFLMAO:
Lol it’s looking that way ?? I’m just trying to make very very sure I have everything right since I’m replacing my current lifepo4 batteries for the Lishen lifepo4 batteries. Very excited!!! And want to keep them as happy as possible

Lol it’s looking that way ?? I’m just trying to make very very sure I have everything right since I’m replacing my current lifepo4 batteries for the Lishen lifepo4 batteries. Very excited!!! And want to keep them as happy as possible
I totally understand.
I am poor and spent about 10% of my annual income on some lifepo batteries for my moblity scooter.
And I also wanted to keep them for as long as I can.
So one. No charging below zero Celsius.
And if you do then only at 5% of your amperage. So 100 Ah cells would charge at 5 amps.
Until the cells [not your room] come up to 20 Celsius.

Charge to 3.5 volts. Discharge to 3 volts.

Never let the cells go above 45 Celsius. 35 is preferred.

Compress them lightly.
So when they are discharged to about 3 volts. Put a wrapping of wood or whatever around them. Do not squeeze them. The point is to stop constant expansion and contraction. Not win a science award for 12 psi etc.
Anyhow, so basically put them in a not expanding box a bit tightly.
And that is about it.

They will go from about 2,000 to about 6,000 cycles for you this way. :)

EDIT: so from what I’m reading, I would want my battery to stay at [3.5Vpc] so wouldn’t keeping the float at [3.5Vpc] with the bulk charge at [3.5Vpc], make it keep the batteries at [3.5Vpc] until usage? Isn’t that the point?
This is not ideal. Is there a reason you want your float voltage and your absorb to be the same?
You can charge to 3.5Vpc (56V), that is healthy and conservative, but its best not to hold it at that voltage. Float at <3.4Vpc (<54.4V)

Lead acid batteries are happy being held at full SOC, LFP batteries are not.

This article lays out the basics of how to keep LiFePO4 batteries happy and healthy:
How to Find Happiness with LiFePO4

I still cannot think of any good reason to have your float that high.

Reactions: Dzl
My batteries are not work horses. I live on the grid in Panama and there is no time of use penalty or savings. Electricity is expensive in Panama and more than most US states, so the solar power system has significantly reduced my electric bill. Currently, I seem to be producing more electricity than I am using. I imagined that will change when I buy an electric car.

We do have frequent power outages, usually < hour, usually not over 6 hours and probably only about 15 hours/month in total. Usually the longer power outages is where the power is shutdown during the day for maintenance from 9-4pm. My main reasons besides saving on utility cost is to prepare for an extended outage, since there seems to be so many events occurring around the world with hurricanes, tornados, tsunami, earthquakes, floods, fire, extreme heat, volcanos, storms, lightning, wars, riots, etc.

I have installed a whole house backup system using (2) Luxpower 12K hybrid inverters, (2) GSL 52V 14.3K 280Ah 16 cells powerwall batteries and 28.6K solar panels. I am not expecting 24/7 power, but I would like for my family to have some power during an event.

System was installed in June so I am still learning about batteries that were installed as an EPS (emergency power system). I found this chart for Lifepo4 or LFP batteries.

1689555311743.png
GSL battery requires DOD 80% max, so that is not an issue and probably would not occur more than once a month anyway without an event. Most power outages are less 30% DOD. The chart is based on 0.5C which for my battery is 140A and my batteries are rated at 150 continuous charge/discharge current. I have set my batteries at 100A or only 0.35C. I understand that a lower C reduces degradation from heat from charging and extends the battery life.

Luxpower inverters has a mandatory SOC=90 upper limit when on-grid power, so my batteries are discharging to 90%
1689556584920.png
During the day I can use Charge First and my solar panels will keep the batteries at full charge from about 8AM till 7PM. During the day my BMS floats the batteries from 100% to about 98%. After 5PM my solar production drops significantly, but it is enough to qualify as being not fully on-grid. Once fully on-grid my batteries will discharge to 90% and float at 90% until recharged in the morning by the solar panels to 100%. At night my EPS will have less charge, but should be adequate. This is acceptable to me, since batteries always fully charge can cause problems like cell balancing, electrons migration, etc., which over time can also cause battery degradation.

AT 8:54 we just loss power and my alarm is sounding. Not too bad, the grid was back in only 2 minutes.

According to the chart that I attached, DOD=80% increases number of cycle to 6500 cycles and DOD=100% reduces battery number of cycles to 3500 cycles. This graph is only an example and not for all LFP batteries, you need to get the proper graph for each battery. It only illustrates the concept that less DOD increases the number of cycles.

I do want to extend my battery life to the warranty period of 15 years, so that I have batteries should a disaster hit Panama. These are my first batteries, so I know nothing about batteries. What little knowledge I have is not from experience, but is limited to internet research and yes, I have read the battery manual. I found your thread and you DIY guys seems to have the experience that I don't. Have I missed something?

Like other people, I do tend to overthink things.

Last edited:
Back