diy solar

diy solar

Fangpusun makes counterfeit Victron, Outback & others

Victron did go after them quite hard a while back when they were selling them with Victron written on them. Ebay etc was flooded with them a few years ago now not so much. Fangpusun has been mentioned on the forum before, and it was pointed out then that they are nothing but fakers and scammers. What is inside the box varies from item to item (really). It's often not even an attempt to clone the original product beyond the shell.

Looks like making fakes is their whole business model

I doubt if Victron has copyright or Trademark protected the color blue. Making the case look the same is not something that is legally actionable. Using the Victron brand name or any of their Trademark names would give Victron standing to sue. It is hard to imagine any customer who would actually buy a Victron product, buying one of these instead.

BlueSolar and SmartSolar are undoubtedly Trademark protected names which is why you don't see them printed on the enclosure.

Physical design can be copyright and trademarked. Try selling a Mickey Mouse blow up toy, even if you call it sassy the cow, you aren't going to have a lot of enjoyment as Disney sues the crap out of you. I think it's a case of Victron hammered Fanpusun down enough to the point where it wasn't worth the expense of chasing any further more than it not being possible to continue the course of action.

Last edited:
I doubt if Victron has copyright or Trademark protected the color blue. Making the case look the same is not something that is legally actionable. Using the Victron brand name or any of their Trademark names would give Victron standing to sue. It is hard to imagine any customer who would actually buy a Victron product, buying one of these instead.

BlueSolar and SmartSolar are undoubtedly Trademark protected names which is why you don't see them printed on the enclosure.
Physical designs ("look & feel") can be patented. That's what design patents are for. In this case, it may not be worth Victron's time/$ to go after them again.

Physical designs ("look & feel") can be patented. That's what design patents are for. In this case, it may not be worth Victron's time/$ to go after them again.
Also one of the most difficult lawsuits to prevail in. Basically all Victron has, it the same location of connectors, shape and color of the enclosure. That is not much to work with. I seriously doubt if Victron has a design patent on their enclosure shape (what would be the point).

That would be like going after a cell phone maker because their product is rectangular, thin and has an LED/touchscreen on one side just like yours.

That would be like going after a cell phone maker because their product is rectangular, thin and has an LED/touchscreen on one side just like yours.

What about rounded corners, and Chicklet shaped icons?

I would be willing to try one of these units just to test them out but the cheap price is kind of set off by shipping cost because you cant find them state side anymore like on amazon , etc

I would be willing to try one of these units just to test them out but the cheap price is kind of set off by shipping cost because you cant find them state side anymore like on amazon , etc
Probably would be better to not reward a company who's entire goal is to copy someone else's products.. if nobody bought their stuff then they would cease to exist.

Probably would be better to not reward a company who's entire goal is to copy someone else's products.. if nobody bought their stuff then they would cease to exist.
I agree , but almost all of these products are made in China , and their goal has been and will be to copy / steal trade make items. even the name brand stuff is made in China...

Back