diy solar

diy solar

Feedback needed before I buy $1000 of panels, please.

kennyadcock

Ok so I bought a 1999 Dodge Ram Van with a fiberglass conversion roof. I installed roof racks to hold the panels and have been working out what panels to install. I have a Pecron E2000 solar generator that has 2 charge ports that can handle up to 600w of input each (35-96 volts).

I'm thinking about getting four Rich Solar RS M200D (200w/24v) for about $900. I'd run them in series for 800w @ 96v max. As the panels will be fixed flat facing straight up and given our latitude in the USA, I am expecting to get less than the max rated output and hoping for 600w and at least the required 35v needed to charge the Pecron E2000.

Am I missing anything in my planning?

Oh yeah, I live in this van and am very comfortable though it does get hot during the summer days.

Thanks for any feedback.

Thanks for

800W for $900, $1.12/W

We've been buying panels between $0.13 and $0.30/W, usually by the pallet. Larger, like 300W to 600W.
Small means yours can be shipped more easily.

Check eBay and Craigslist for panels close to you.

Last edited:
Watch this Will Prowse video (founder of this forum). You can't safely run 2 or 4 of those panels in series on your Pecron if it has a 96v max input. The panels have a 45.4v VOC.

I'd run them in series for 800w @ 96v max

Your max is 95v

You'll have to do 1s4p if you live in a cold climate. Possibly 2s2p in a warm climate.

Watch Hobotech testing on the Pecron. At about 83V, constant amps, power stopped increasing. So you want to actually stay below 83v or so. I have a pecron e1500LFP

My guru buddy warns of more than rv solar panel voltage coming off the roof. Danger to firefighters if you had a fire.

He refused to work on my coach if I had a roof combiner box. Hail storm? The 24 volts was for safety

Omg thanks for all the fast and valuable comments. I'll have to look up what 1s4p and 2s2p means but if anyone has a better plan for me, I'm not committed to these panels or configuration. I have the Pecron generator so that much is fixed for now. I don't understand why they say these are 24v if they are actually more but ig that's the industry. I AM a novice at this so I learn as I go. Don't want to blow up my system or start a fire, for sure. I just want to maximize my roof space so my battery is always topped off.

Anyone with a better or alternative configuration to suggest would be appreciated.

Ty cs1234 for the Will vid recommendation. It was very enlightening.

As a note to anyone with panel/configuration suggestions, the Pecron E2000 actually has two separate 600w max charging inputs. This means I could go with a 2s2p setup with 300w/24v panels (assuming 2s2p means a total of 4 panels). Then I'd stay under the volt max and still get close to 600w per input. Ideas?

Full data sheet for each PV panel and for the inverter are needed to check the numbers.
If you can provide links to those, you and we can be on the same page.

Then we check voltages and currents.
Voltages, by the way, we have to adjust for cold weather. Can't just use the numbers straight from the data sheets.

Model
Pecron E2000LFP
Rated Power2000W
Peak Power4000W (10MS)
Capacity1920Wh (Can Expandable up to 8064Wh)
AC Input120V/60Hz Pure Sine Wave
PV InputVoc 12V~18V / 100W Max /7A Max.
2 x Voc 32V~95V / 600W Max / 15A Max
Battery TypeLiFePo4 Battery
can retain 80% of its original capacity at 3500 complete charge cycles
Weight48.5lbs(22Kg)
DC Output12V
Dimension16.1x10x11.6in
Car InputDC 12~18V--100W(Max)
Charge Temperature0°C~45°C / 32°F-113°F
Discharge Temperature-20°C~45°C / -4°F-113°F

I'm not stuck on the rich solar panels if you guys know of a better deal/quality on other panels.

If I'm running two separate, 2-panel strings then maybe these Rich 250w panels are better.

Specifications​

• Model: RS-M250P / RS-M250PB
  • Maximum Power(Pmax): 250W
  • Maximum Power Voltage(Vmp): 36.9V
  • Maximum Power Current(Imp): 6.78A
  • Open Circuit Voltage(Voc): 44.7V
  • Short Circuit Current(Isc): 7.08A
  • Maximum System Voltage(Vmax): 1500 VDC
  • Temperature Range: -40°C ~ +185°C
  • Weight: 26.9lb (12.2kg)
  • Dimensions: 60.6x29.9x1.2in (1540x760x30mm)

"Voc 12V~18V / 100W Max /7A Max.
2 x Voc 32V~95V / 600W Max / 15A Max"

Not sure what that 18V input is about.
The others, 95V max.

"Open Circuit Voltage(Voc): 44.7V"

That would be at 25 degrees C. Can rise as much as 16% in freezing weather.
If data sheet gives "Temperature coefficient of Voc", and if you know the record coldest temperature for locations you might visit, we can get a better number.

44.7V x 1.16 = 51.85V in cold weather
51.85V x 2 = 103.7V for 2 in series.
Can't connects 2s for your inverter.

"Short Circuit Current(Isc): 7.08A"
7.08A x 2 = 14.16A for 2 in parallel.
That's less than 15A, so it is OK to connect 2 in parallel.

These particular panels, you can only use two, wired 2p, with this inverter.

"Maximum Power(Pmax): 250W"
250W x 2 = 500W
That's less than 600W, so OK.
Most inverters tolerate overpaneling, don't draw more than they can handle. This is useful since often there is less than full sun.

Consider a panel like this (only practical if you can pick it up, don't want to ship small number of large panels.)

85.6 Voc, so can allow 9.4V rise.

"Voltage Temp Coef. −235.5 mV / o C"

OK down to temperature -15C, which is -40C relative to nominal +25C, before voltage reaches 95V.

You could have two of these in parallel, stowed flat one on top of the other on the roof.
When parked, tilt them up so one slopes East, one slopes West, about 60 degree or 90 degree angle between them. That could put out close to 600W for several hours of the day.

Otherwise, look for 2 to 4 other panels that can connect series/parallel while remaining within voltage and current limits, even in cold weather.

Avoid letting shadow from those roof rack upright fall on the cells, will reduce output of whole panel.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I actually understood everything you said.

1. The 100w input is a third charging port meant for use with a vehicle cigarette lighter. It would take over 20hrs to charge that way so I don't expect to use it at all.

Those Sun panels are interesting. I could mount them side by side flat on the roof and run them in series as you suggested. I'd definitely get the 600w or I could just run one independently into each charging port and get maybe 350-400w from each simultaneously. Regardless, I doubt I'll be picking them up so smaller panels that can ship might be better.

I don't plan on going anywhere cold in the foreseeable future. I'm currently located in Charleston, SC and plan to drive west to Long Beach in Southern California where I'll be living for a while. No snow in the forecast for me.

I'm not in a great rush so I'll use all this great information and look for panels that will suit my needs better. You guys are a great help and Will's videos have been a huge inspiration over the past year since I made the move to van life and started thinking about going solar. Thanks Will!

I’d plan for cold anyway because the penalty is killing your charge controller.

I recall planning for a panel max VOC of 80% of your charge controller max is a good safe harbor.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I actually understood everything you said.

I'm slipping 😆

1. The 100w input is a third charging port meant for use with a vehicle cigarette lighter. It would take over 20hrs to charge that way so I don't expect to use it at all.

OK, convenient.

There are others like that which limit PV panel to 22V (not very good.)

Those Sun panels are interesting. I could mount them side by side flat on the roof and run them in series as you suggested.

No, not in series. That would be double the allowed voltage.

In parallel. Which might not be excessive current, but would be 50% over the wattage, which is why I suggest tilted to different directions so they aren't both in full sun at he same time.

I'd definitely get the 600w or I could just run one independently into each charging port and get maybe 350-400w from each simultaneously. Regardless, I doubt I'll be picking them up so smaller panels that can ship might be better.

Oh, right. 2 ports; I forgot that.
So you might put 2 panels into each. Series if low enough voltage, otherwise parallel.

Lots of places selling panels, often leftovers from installers who buy extra because some get broken.

Craigslist, and eBay you can sort by distance.

You guys are a great help and Will's videos have been a huge inspiration over the past year since I made the move to van life and started thinking about going solar. Thanks Will!

(y)

I bought my panels from Facebook Marketplace
New no shipping
Craigs list also another good place to look

also contact local solar installers if they got any leftovers
OR if the could add some extra panels to their next order from factory

Omg thanks for all the fast and valuable comments. I'll have to look up what 1s4p and 2s2p means but if anyone has a better plan for me, I'm not committed to these panels or configuration. I have the Pecron generator so that much is fixed for now. I don't understand why they say these are 24v if they are actually more but ig that's the industry. I AM a novice at this so I learn as I go. Don't want to blow up my system or start a fire, for sure. I just want to maximize my roof space so my battery is always topped off.

Anyone with a better or alternative configuration to suggest would be appreciated.
I also own a Pecron E2000LFP, for the simplest method, I would recommend connecting 2 of your panels in series to the 2 GX16MF inputs separately, ensuring you get the best input.

diy solar

diy solar
Back