diy solar

diy solar

Feedback on Popup Camper Solar Setup with Inverter

brooke_heaton

Hi all. I'm setting up a solar setup with lithium battery storage and a 2000W inverter. The large inverter should be able to handle a 5K BTU Air Conditioner I have as well as a mini-fridge. I plan to use a 200W portable solar panel (Jackery is releasing one this year) and have two Valence U27s for storage. I also plan to use the existing Power Center for the 120V breakers and 12V fuse setup - just removing the charger function from the power center since the Xantrex will manage the charging. I'd appreciate any questions or feedback, especially on wiring/fusing.

Aliner Solar System (5).png

My only comments:

Main fuse 200a - because you have lithium batteries I would use a 200a class T fuse. The bussman type fuses could not kill the power in case of a major short. The class T will.

Is 1/0 cable what the inverter/charger asks for in its owners manual? I would have guessed 2/0...

I would also add a battery monitor- a Victron SmartShunt or BMV712.

GoodLuck!

Looks good!

Thanks for the feedback @Rocketman!

I was not aware of the need for the Class T Fuse on this system so I've been digging into that. One thing I did find is that the Bussman MRBF Fuses are Amperage Interrupt Rated to 10,000 AMP. Would this be sufficient for the two 138Ah Valence Batteries?

I've looked up the recommended cables and I was incorrect. They should be 2/0. I'll need to replace them.

I haven't yet decided on the battery monitor. Have you had any experience with the Victron SmartShunt? I've considered it but have read about headaches with Bluetooth. The Bluetooth capability of the Xantrex remote monitor was DOA so I'm leaning toward a fixed cable solution perhaps.

I have the Victron BMV712- and love it.

The Class T fuses have a 20,000 amp interruption

Back