diy solar

diy solar

Final Draft System Review - Missing anything?

medic149

Cabin In The Woods
I've been learning a great deal on here and would love to get input on my system schematic.
This is for an off-grid cabin. I've already purchased the LV6548 and batteries.

Let me know if off-base on anything or missing something.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Visio-Solar System Schematic.pdf
    817.6 KB · Views: 174
Appears to be covered. I've got two LV5048 in parallel with 12 Battleborn. Zero issues and trouble free.

Question, since the LV5048 Voc is 145Vdc, does that mean it is 145Vdc on each PV connection or is it for the whole LV5048 unit.

Thank you Jack2of3. I've been trying to get that info from the MPPSOLAR manufacturers with no luck. You've settled my nerves! Now I just need to source the right solar panels that will give me the 4000kw each. Do you have any idea/recommendations on the watts and size of the solar panels?

Thanks Solar Newbee.

Mission Solar in San Antonio has a good selection at reasonable prices with all the specifications. They prefer you tell them what you want vs asking them to tell you what you need.

Have you watched Will's reviews on Santan? Some good, some not so good if I remember correctly. Could be some were new and others used.

I was happy with the product I have for the price I paid, but I believe that it is a gamble.

Yeah, I wanted dependable, easy and warrantied.
If I knew then what I know now I probably would have went with the Gyll batteries over the battle born just for cost. Shop around. Solar panels are dropping in cost. No issues at all with the lv5048.

Jack2of3, Yes I did see Will's review on the Santan panels. Thanks you all for you valuable input. I will definitely shop around.

Jack2of3- When you mentioned, "Each unit has 2 MPPT at 145voc each 4kw each", is that 4kw of solar panel per LV5048 or 4kw per MPPT?

Thank you.

Mission Solar in San Antonio has a good selection at reasonable prices with all the specifications. They prefer you tell them what you want vs asking them to tell you what you need.
Do you have a website/contact information for this company? Thank you

4kw per mppt
Thank you Jack2of3. I'm trying to figure out my solar panel configuration in order to get 4kw per mppt. What is the series/parallel combination that you use or would work to give me 4kw per mppt without going over 145voc per mppt? I spoke to a Michele Ladd at Mission Solar and this is Mission Solar's answer- "We have 60 cell 345W modules that output 41Voc, datasheet attached. These can be arranged with 3 on a string, reaching the maximum Voc per MPPT, but only 1,035W’s. To get to 4kW you can combine 4 parallel strings. This layout suggestion is outside of the scope of my role here at Mission Solar and should always be verified with the inverter company, sales@mppsolar.com."

Mission Solar is correct in their suggestion however, you need to be careful in approaching the maximum VOC and wattage. I.e. I only have 10 200 watt panels, 2 strings of 5 run into a combiner box. I have observed twice, the wattage reading at 2.2kw, more than the panels should be able to output by their specifications. Personally, not a professional guide by any means, I would allow for a 10-15% cushion of the rated output of the panel configuration for VOC and wattage to the allowable maximum for the MPPT. All that said I would use 3 strings of 3 in parallel of the 345 panels for 123 VOC and 3.1 kw. Each MPPT can handle 80 amps so that won't be a concern.

Jack2of3- Thanks for the feedback. So you are saying 3 strings, meaning three 345w panels in series, and 3 of those strings in 3 string parallels, correct? So I would do this for each MPPT connection? So each MPPT connection would have 3.1kw of solar panel? Thanks.

That is correct. I've decided to go with the PERC 60 panels in which ever wattage offered is cheapest using 9 panels so 3s3p also.

Back