diy solar

diy solar

Finally ready to purchase BUT which inverter to purchase?

Sticky1

Finally ready to purchase BUT which inverter to purchase?

Final Specs:
10-15kw @ 40VDC. Edit 48vdc
Low Freq
Stackable
Grid tie to sell back
Grid tie to supplement when no solar
Generator - existing 20kw
UL or ETL for inspection
Battery

This is driving me nuts going thru all the spec's
Any Ideas..?

Thanks

Last edited:
Final Specs:
10-15kw @ 40VDC
How did you come up with 40 volts? That's a hard order to fill. Not exactly a common voltage. Most inverters have a range, but without knowing your min voltage, it's hard to say if I know of any that support a 40 volt nominal battery voltage.

Assuming the 40v is a typo it sounds like the Schneider 6848 pro would work nicely.
Good point on the voltage. I do think the Schneider would require 3 in parallel to support their 15 kW if that's a continuous load. If it's less than 30 minutes, 2 would cover it.

Or maybe they mean 10-15 kW h of battery capacity...
Or solar production?

Instructions not clear, desk on fire.

How did you come up with 40 volts? That's a hard order to fill. Not exactly a common voltage. Most inverters have a range, but without knowing your min voltage, it's hard to say if I know of any that support a 40 volt nominal battery voltage.
Should have been 48volt

Good point on the voltage. I do think the Schneider would require 3 in parallel to support their 15 kW if that's a continuous load. If it's less than 30 minutes, 2 would cover it.

Or maybe they mean 10-15 kW h of battery capacity...
Or solar production?

Instructions not clear, desk on fire.
The space uses 1,500 watt hours a month. Will at least double starting next month. I am looking for an inverter between 10-15kw (future expansion). Should have been 48vdc

Now I'm even more confused. Can you double check your monthly usage number?

More useful would be the results of your energy audit, or performing an energy audit.
The needed information is peak load and daily consumption.
From there you can figure out the inverter size and battery capacity.

If your current usage is satisfied by a 6,000 watt inverter, you could chose wisely and get one that can be paralleled as/if your energy needs increase in the future.

Do you have a budget? Are you looking for a generic import or Tier 1 inverter?
Do you want an all in one or do your I want a system with separate components where you can size each component to your needs?

Now I'm even more confused. Can you double check your monthly usage number?

More useful would be the results of your energy audit, or performing an energy audit.
The needed information is peak load and daily consumption.
From there you can figure out the inverter size and battery capacity.

If your current usage is satisfied by a 6,000 watt inverter, you could chose wisely and get one that can be paralleled as/if your energy needs increase in the future.

Do you have a budget? Are you looking for a generic import or Tier 1 inverter?
Do you want an all in one or do your I want a system with separate components where you can size each component to your needs?
Join the club...more confused....

The existing structure use wont be the same as it is now so electrical will most likely hit 3kw/month.
I will also Need room for expansion and sell back.

I understand where you are going with stackable 6k inverters. I looked at the hybrid's....all in ones.....
I guess i am looking for the best bang for the buck; like everybody else.

3kWh per month (the h for hours makes a big difference, as 3 kw is an instantaneous or peak rating, kWh is usage over time, like you get billed by the power company or the battery stores)

Anyways, 3kWh per month is an average of 4 watts per hour for the month. Are you just running one nightlight?
Like I said above, I think your units are off. Maybe 3,000kWh per month?

You're going to need to do some more of the footwork before anyone can provide realistic information. Either get the cheapo import inverter, like an EG4, or step up to a tier 1 inverter any lay out some cash. But so far, I don't see enough info to make the recommendation.

What do you run in the house? AC, electric heat, stove, oven, full server, or just a single TV and laptop charge, nothing with a motor?

Already did the footwork….
Just wanted to get an idea of what others thought. All I was looking for was an answer to my original question. Anyway
Eg4 8k

The existing structure use wont be the same as it is now so electrical will most likely hit 3kw/month.
I will also Need room for expansion and sell back.
What in the what...

Solar array sizing (kWh) is about how much energy you need over a given period of time.

Inverter sizing is about how much power (kW) you need to be able to supply at once if you are off grid or on battery back up.

3,000kWh per month tells us that your expected average power draw is 4.2kW but has nothing to do with sizing your inverter.

Already did the footwork….
Just wanted to get an idea of what others thought. All I was looking for was an answer to my original question. Anyway
Eg4 8k

Sounds like somemore homework is needed. You are being asked important questions if you want a cogent answer.

Ok so a lot further along; finally installing
I ended up going with the LuxPower 12k with 30 400w panels

Ok so a lot further along; finally installing
I ended up going with the LuxPower 12k with 30 400w panels
Congrats!

Hopefully, you did far more research than your initial post in this thread suggest. a lot of what you posted in this thread signalled to me that you weren't actually ready to buy, and still needed to understand some fundamentals.

That said,

Based on your orinal info in this thread (and trying to make some assumption as to what you actually meant)
it sounds like the luxpower12k will be a great start. It can be paralleled (which it sounds like you may need), and the 30x400watt panels will be about 12kw, which based on your initial numbers, may be a bit small.

Did you get batteries?

I have a schneider based system, but if the luxpower12k/eg4 18kpv/fortress power/etc had been available when I started my journey, I may have very well gone with it myself. I'm pretty happy with the schnieder though, but I feel like the learning curve and cide compliance stuff is easier with some of the newer inverters.

Back