diy solar

diy solar

Finally, the start of my 25kw Ground Mount grid-tie system

Noice!

Need better inverter names though, give 'em a bit of personality. :)
I agree. When I get some free time I'll think of it. I've already started working on a heat reclamation project for some servers I'm going to be cooling with immersion.

Got a new local high for single day production yesterday. 286kw/h on a sunny march day with the ground covered with snow.

Yeah, that would be right. It was almost a perfect power curve through the whole day. I'm not sure how much the white ground is giving from the bifacial, but I would bet a decent %. I think the snow will be melted here before too long and I'll have another "perfect" day and then I could have a somewhat close comparison

Yes. That would be correct. I just call it 45 with bifacial, close enough.

I would suggest that I am, however it is hard to prove it without A/B testing which I don't have. Even then you'd still want the same exact panels just without bifacial. With ground mount, IMO, it almost doesn't make sense to NOT get bifacial. This is even more so as you're further north because of snow. I'm 100% glad I got bifacial. I read an article somewhere that the loss from snow on panels is brought down into the single digits from bifacial panels. I only cleared snow from them twice this year and that was because I was seeing how my tools worked.

No no no. As in the overall production loss from snow covering them on and off through the snowy months becomes only single digits percentage wise as opposed to the roughly 30% or so. Granted this will depend on where you're at. We had quite frequent snow here and they were rarely covered in snow for any amount of time. Even when they were completely covered in snow there was a minimal amount of power being generated.

She's been cookin today! Keeps bouncing against max.

32 panels per inverter * 460w each = 14720. So..... The remainder has to come from the bifacial aspect. This is also after any losses from the inverter and wiring as well.

1678394592999.png

1678394656291.png

Nice.

Days like that you will get cloud edge effects which will see production max out as well. These effects tend to be a bit more ephemeral but it depends on the way the clouds are playing with the sunlight.

As an example I have seen 2.7 kW from a 2.2 kW PV array (and on a warm day). Obviously in this case the PV output is not limited by the inverter.

Nice.

Days like that you will get cloud edge effects which will see production max out as well. These effects tend to be a bit more ephemeral but it depends on the way the clouds are playing with the sunlight.

As an example I have seen 2.7 kW from a 2.2 kW PV array (and on a warm day). Obviously in this case the PV output is not limited by the inverter.
I've definitely noticed that. With the current sun elevation the max continous I will see is roughly 14kw/inverter. On days where clouds are sorta in an out or passing by I'll get the inverters to max. I'm excited to see the data throughout the whole year.

Over time you'll develop a feel for what's normal. With an unshaded field array then the differences are pretty much all going to be environmental/weather related.

Here we can have sizeable variation year to year. e.g. 2020 (floods, double annual avg rainfall) was only 89% of the energy production of 2019 (drought, massive fires).

Back