diy solar

diy solar

Finally, the start of my 25kw Ground Mount grid-tie system

I'll do ya one better!

Edit: @pilotdrh has some awesome panels. If I were doing it again I would have definitely seen if I could make the ones he got work.

Attachments

• BSM460M-72HBD-460W.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
For anyone curious. The snow is gone now. This is almost a perfect day and much more perfect than my previous "best day" since going live in Oct. The first day, March 7th, the ground was covered in snow. Today, March 17th, there is no snow on the ground. Even though the power production through the day was more perfectly curved and we are 10 days later in the season (higher and more sun) it failed to produce as much as the prior "best day".

March 7th: 286 kWh (ground completely covered in snow)
1679110599488.png

March 17th: 269 kWh (no snow on the ground)
1679110488588.png

Absolutely. I'm certainly getting bifacial gain now even with the snow gone, but it's more or less giving some sort of comparison between a white ground and natural ground and my light colored rock below/around the arrays.

hit about 5.7MW this month out of the projected 5.05MW. I think next month's projection is about 6MW.

April numbers (wrong, see below):
Projected: 6.3x (don't have the sheet in front of me)
Actual: 6.15

Missed by about 150-200kwh. IMO the month was a bit cloudy. I never had a single "perfect" solar day. I had one that was kinda close. For some reason there were always "whispy" clouds in the sky every single day. I found it a bit strange. I also found the output on the system interesting as well. Just the last few days it got to about 80F. Voltages during high output were down about 50v (expected) and the max AC output was around 12.5kw per inverter where when it was a little colder I would see this around 13-13.5kw and the sun was not as high in the sky. I thought for sure with it being a bit higher 55-60* above horizon it would produce more power due to the angle (my panels mounted at 35*). My best day was 296kwh. Back in march I had a day that was 294kw, so a month later the best day I could get was 296 (somewhat close to perfect solar). I figured it would definitely be over 300 with hopes around summer solstice and a perfect solar day pushing 400kwh.

Edit: Big error on my part!

I was checking to see what I should be producing in may and realized I was a month off for the numbers above (how I managed to install the solar system, idk lol)

April Numbers:
Projected: 5.47MWh
Actual: 6.15MWh
Over Projected: + 680kWh (12.4%)

edit: added "h" where necessary

Last edited:
April Numbers:
Projected: 5.47MW
Actual: 6.15MW
Over Projected: + 680kW (12.4%)
Nice. But you mean MWh and kWh, not MW and kW.

We experience quite large variations year to year in the production numbers for each month. This April had 7.6% higher production than the average of the previous four Aprils (lowest 894 kWh, highest 994 kWh). We lost a bit of production this month as well with 12 hours of grid outages, with much of it during daytime (= no grid solar PV output).

Nice. But you mean MWh and kWh, not MW and kW.

We experience quite large variations year to year in the production numbers for each month. This April had 7.6% higher production than the average of the previous four Aprils (lowest 894 kWh, highest 994 kWh). We lost a bit of production this month as well with 12 hours of grid outages, with much of it during daytime (= no grid solar PV output).
You just enjoy pointing out my laziness, don't you!? ;)

Alrighty, another monthly performance update on the system.

Projected: 6.37MWh
Produced: 7.87MWh
Overproduced by 23%

Best day in May about 310kWh.

Last edited:
Back