diy solar

diy solar

First 3kw DIY solar with PowMr split phase inverter10kw

Yes the deal i got was on cracked panels. My dumb mistake I guess to think that voltage and the current confirmed watt output.
We are all learning everyday.
I am still going to return the inverter because it was nearly $1800 and I will never need 10k output.
Let us know how the return goes.
That's quite the markup. If you ever do need the 10k output you can order it from SRNE directly for ~$1400 delivered.

Yes I measured each one VOC is good and short circuit amps are within 4-6 amps on all.

The entire string is producing the power it's measuring out 300voc out of the 9s2p with short circuit current at 6 amps. That's roughly 100w a panel for all 18.
Short circuit current is at 0 volts. In actual Operation you may never see that. The mppt is going to find the spot where voltage and current result in maximum output, so the ssc doesn't really tell you anything

We are all learning everyday.

Let us know how the return goes.
That's quite the markup. If you ever do need the 10k output you can order it from SRNE directly for ~$1400 delivered.
Awesome thanks, I ordered the tester and checking out some new panels to buy. I'll post their info for guidance. I think I'll get this right the second time around!

Short circuit current is at 0 volts. In actual Operation you may never see that. The mppt is going to find the spot where voltage and current result in maximum output, so the ssc doesn't really tell you anything
So the handheld tester mimics the mppt to get an actual value of power output in watts?

So those testers have more technology than the clamp on amp meter and voltage tester? It can actually confirm the true power out of each panel?
kind of yea.
With a clamp meter you can short out the single panel to itself and read the amps
you can also read the VOC
but you can't read all of them at the same time, and can't read the operational amps + voltage under max panel load
These devices allow you to do that

So the handheld tester mimics the mppt to get an actual value of power output in watts?
the handheld tester is an MPPT, that is what it's internals are

kind of yea.
With a clamp meter you can short out the single panel to itself and read the amps
you can also read the VOC
but you can't read all of them at the same time, and can't read the operational amps + voltage under max panel load
These devices allow you to do that

the handheld tester is an MPPT, that is what it's internals are
Nice I get it tommorow and I'll post pics of the results.

I can get new Trina panel or Zn shine 360w for 95 each. Are those any good ?

There needs to be a separate rating system for how good they do when cracked and how long they last

we need some clear spray (FLEX SEAL (lmao)) for them too
Honestly never thought it would make such a drastic impact. Live an learn

Where you get them? From used panel places like santan you can trade them back in because those will be below their ~80% rating.
IDK what they do with them, probably give them to someone else that isn't gonna test them 🤣

Where you get them? From used panel places like santan you can trade them back in because those will be below their ~80% rating.
IDK what they do with them, probably give them to someone else that isn't gonna test them 🤣
I got them from a guy that sells new used and cracked. They are actually going to credit me the full amount and I'm going to use it towards the money needed to buy the new ones.

What's Santan?

Update!

I got the full refund on the 10,000 w split phase inverter but they kept 150 for "restocking"

I got a killer deal on a single phase 220-240v 6.5kw 48v for $342 bucks including shipping.

I also bought 6 new 360w Trina mono crystalline panels for 600 bucks..

Measures them with the mppt meter and they make 340w with full sun.

Still waiting on the inverter. One cool thing about this model is it can actually be programmed to put out as low as 120v single phase.

Attachments

• 18457748342096267760.jpg
    18457748342096267760.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 6
Update!

I got the full refund on the 10,000 w split phase inverter but they kept 150 for "restocking"

I got a killer deal on a single phase 220-240v 6.5kw 48v for $342 bucks including shipping.

Still waiting on the inverter. One cool thing about this model is it can actually be programmed to put out as low as 120v single phase.
Huh?

Update!

Are all your loads 230v only?

Are all your loads 230v only?
My main load will be 230v which is a mini split. It consumes max 2300w. So the plan is dedicate the solar panels and inverter to that load.

My second largest constant load is the refrigerator so I was thinking of doing a smaller solar array with one of these grid tie micro inverters for the smaller load. Thoughts ?

I'm curious how those little micro inverters work apparently they work.
I wonder if they push enough power to the grid of one of the phases we're it offsets the consumption without back feeding the meter.

My main load will be 230v which is a mini split. It consumes max 2300w. So the plan is dedicate the solar panels and inverter to that load.

My second largest constant load is the refrigerator so I was thinking of doing a smaller solar array with one of these grid tie micro inverters for the smaller load. Thoughts ?

I'm curious how those little micro inverters work apparently they work.
I wonder if they push enough power to the grid of one of the phases we're it offsets the consumption without back feeding the meter.

If you will have any 120v loads on the 230v inverter you need an autotransformer.

If it's only the mini split then you don't.

I bet you those micro inverters are inefficient as hell. A 5 kw growatt grid tie is $720. 6kw $750.

With a micro inverter or any grid tie inverter you have to be connected to the grid or they don't produce power.

diy solar

diy solar
Back