diy solar

diy solar

Flextape as Insulation or Anti-Chafe

AndyRonLI

Solar Enthusiast
Folks,
Just build a plywood battery box for my fifth wheel. There is a solid 1/2 inch of clearance between the plywood cover and terminals. As this box will be subject to some thumps and bumps on the road, I worry a little bit about inadvertent contact between a terminal and the cover. I was thinking of using flextape or similar on the cover as a just in case, I realize the plywood itself is not likely to short out, but this is a 12V 400AH battery bank so there is some juice there. I also want to use it as anti-chafe around the penetrations in the box where the 4/0 cables enter. On a general note, what are folks using to make antichafe pads etc? I was also thinking of perhaps cutting up silicon pot holders of cutting boards>

Any thoughts?
ANdy

FR-4 sheets are the industry standard for electrical insulating sheets. A rubber sheet is another option. Rounding off, and sanding the openings in plywood will help protect the cables going thru those openings.

So I did plan on rounding and sanding etc, Just wanted a belt and suspender. The FR-4 is pretty rigid and that may work for the flat surface of the plywood. Maybe some liquid rubber on the rounded and sanded. I am always concerned about fretting, Even wire on wire can wear on insulation.
Thanks for the tip
Andy

It isn't clear if this is a DIY battery with bare terminals exposed on each cell or if it's an off-the-shelf with just two terminal exposed. Either way, if your cell or battery is in danger of contacting the lid, then the cell or battery is improperly secured.

The 4 cells in each of my two DIY batteries are clamped together and secured to the floor. They're not going anywhere. I've been down some really bad roads and I think the camper may have become air born over an unexpected bump recently. The batteries and their connections are just fine.

So it is four Ampere/Li-Time 200 ah batteries.
I think they are well secured, but... an Trailer is a continuous earthquake.
So I am likely being overly cautious, and my box, hold downs and wiring clearly exceed the build quality of the trailer itself ;-)
Just thought if the flex tape or other simple cheap easily applied material actually acts as an insulator, It couldnt hurt.
I have spent to many hours in aerospace where the stress guys actually worry about wire loads.
I will post some pics of my hold down system
Thanks
Andy

For what it's worth, in the "Up In Smoke" subforum there is a thread from a ways back where a wood lid was used. The wood appears to have absorbed some moisture and eventually acted as a conductor. So it can happen. The "lid" of my battery compartment is the floor of a closet in the RV. The floor comes up so I can access the batteries. I lined the underside of the floor with Hardie Backer Board (cement board), mainly as a way to prevent fire from coming up through the closet floor should something catastrophic happen. But the liner should also be non-conductive. I sealed it on both top and bottom.

Wood itself is an insulator. I am not sure what the concern is.
Just in case your strap or hold-down comes loose then I would put 1/2 piece of styrefoam in the 1/2 inch gap to keep battery from bouncing if you hit the big bump. Arcing through wood is not going to happen though.

Back