diy solar

diy solar

Float Charger Question!

SpudBob

Just purchased a used Truck camper with a 100w solar /100AH battery set up. I bought Will Prowes' book and he said that you "CAN" use float charger to keep batteries charged while the unit is stored inside. He didn't however state if you need to make any special preps. Can you use the float charger, the one i have is a .75A Noco smart charger, as you normally would or do you need to disconnect anything ie. the panels or charge controller. Just dont want to fry anything.

Welcome to the forum.

If your camper has solar charging, and you leave the system on, it should keep the batteries properly floated and maintained. The daily bulk/absorption/float generally keep batteries healthy and allow one to typically select voltages optimal for their battery.

0.75A is a very low current charger. It should be enough to float a battery once it's fully charged; however, it may not have a suitable float voltage for your batteries.

Provided you are using suitable chargers for your battery's voltage, you can hook multiple charging sources to the same battery:

Solar, wind, second solar controller, second wind controllers, 12V charger from grid, another 12V charger from generator, hydro power, etc., can all be used at the same time provided they are programmed appropriately for your battery.

I dont understand some of the jargon you are using. I just wanted to know IF can I use my low amp battery charger to keep my battery charged when the vehicle is stored inside-out of the sun. If so do i NEED to disconnect anything-panels, charge controler from the battery or can I just connect the charger as needed in my garage. I have used this same charger to maintain my dual battery AGM system on my diesel truck. Yes it does charge nice and slow. Can take a couple days to charge up my diesel batteries as I only use my truck occasionally 1 or 2 times a month. I usually only keep the charger on when chargeing not as afloat. I plan to do the same with the RV battery- a single 100AH AGM. hook it up occasionally to keep the battery maintained- kinda like rolling the RV out in the sun every other week or so. Thanks in advance! Bob

What is the float voltage of your Noco charger?

Is the house battery LFP or AGM or ?

13.4V. on its AGM setting. I have, obviously, an AGM setup. Im new to solar and read in Wil Prose's book that float chargers were O.K. to use. He made no mention of having to disconect anything. I just want to be sure its O.K.

After a full charge, that charger should be able to maintain the AGM batteries in a floated state. You don't need to disconnect anything when you attach the charger.

Back