diy solar

diy solar

Forum "search" has issues. 24/7 attention not required.

WYtreasure

It's not happy hour, I'm just like this.
Here is an example: I search, from the forum home page, for 9/16 within my content and get one result. In searching for 13/16 I get another result.

Many questions are virtually identical and many answers are repeated over and over and over.

I think everyone here could be more productive if answers and information were easy to find.

search1.JPG search2.JPG

search3.JPGsearch4.JPG

I'm struggling to see where you think the failure is.

The "/" is a special character and is rarely treated literally in searches on any system let alone this website.

If you're looking for posts on a specific date, you can do that on the advanced search screen.

Did you try putting it in quotes "9/16" and such? Maybe that will help?
Thank you Nimbledeepeg.
Yep I did use the quotes to start with.
Sometimes search seems to work better than other times; Just like my brain.

Such a waste of time to have all this information and no way to find it from within the forum.

Have you tried using advanced search?

Screenshot_2022-01-28_23-32-56.png

Screenshot_2022-01-28_23-33-42.png

You can search posts newer/older than specific dates.

In addition, try replacing the "/" with a wildcard "?". Search is powered by ElasticSearch, so this should work as well.

Edit: I just tried your search queries and get your posts. Where have you used "13/16" besides in the post you made here?

Last edited:
Thank you Nimbledeepeg.
Yep I did use the quotes to start with.
Sometimes search seems to work better than other times; Just like my brain.

Such a waste of time to have all this information and no way to find it from within the forum.
These forum search tools is a basic old ‘flat’ unix-like search engine usually. Handy for plain text usually.
More advanced searches than even this site’s search can usually be done with google or yahoo by entering in quotes like this with your search terms not quoted:
“diysolarforum.com” your search terms here
That should engage the search engine configurator to exclude anything NOT containing diysolarforum.com and return your data

Have you tried using advanced search?

View attachment 81646

View attachment 81647

You can search posts newer/older than specific dates.

In addition, try replacing the "/" with a wildcard "?". Search is powered by ElasticSearch, so this should work as well.
Please "spoon feed" me the way to do that "/" and "?" method.

Yes I have used advanced search and it has not produced any good results either, it just sorts stuff a bit.

These forum search tools is a basic old ‘flat’ unix-like search engine usually. Handy for plain text usually.
More advanced searches than even this site’s search can usually be done with google or yahoo by entering in quotes like this with your search terms not quoted:
“diysolarforum.com” your search terms here
That should engage the search engine configurator to exclude anything NOT containing diysolarforum.com and return your data
I will give that a shot as well. I was hoping for an in-house solution.
Thanks

Todays search was to find out if I had recommended "9/16" to anyone. It would have been bad info and I wanted to correct my mistake.

Right, and it showed up as in your first post. More now, since it now exists in a few posts. First search, with 9/16, no quotes or anything (only your results).

Screenshot_2022-01-28_23-58-14.png

Second search with "9/16", with quotes (only your results):

Screenshot_2022-01-29_00-00-01.png

That entry you mention in your first post is not included here.

Back