diy solar

diy solar

Free Energy - Real or Scam

Solar panels of course. Here is where grid-tie panels shine. You could wire them in series up to 360V+, depending on your winter lows. You will need to wire at least three in series to go over the 90V minimum, but depending on your winter lows, keep your strings below 450Voc. That might be 8-10 panels in series, depending of course on their output voltage.

Don't order your panels online. Shop locally, with local pickup. You can get 2-4W/$ that way and assured that you don't get shattered panels. Shop of Craigslist, or other local venue and buy cash and carry.

I think you battery is too small. I would at least double the capacity, though I would go with triple.

Have you decided whether you want only 120V, or will you also need split-phase 120/240VAC? You will need to parallel another unit if you want 240VAC.

Lastly, you will need wire, breakers, ect. to connect it all together. Here is an ampicity chart to guide you to proper gauge selection. I'd go with at least 25% over capacity.View attachment 99356

To keep the spaghetti mass of wiring, I used a power center to consolidate all the wiring, breakers, ect. Here is an example of a DC power center.
View attachment 99357
View attachment 99359
What I'm trying to do is start with a system that I can build that will allow me to just plug in a few appliances to start while I'm in my condo (when the power goes out). Then, after I purchase a home, I'd like to be able to expand it to power the home when the power goes out.

Not sure if I made that clear in the beginning.

Well depends on what you call free I guess. For example I have been making home made water batteries for years. They supply power non stop for decades with the only downside being the copper coils may need cleaning once a year or so to remove corrosion. And since they only use water its non toxic as well. I put up some videos on my youtube channel of a few things Ive powered on water batteries at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr-nB_qf9GwlpYTDtz11xdw

Back