diy solar

diy solar

The Sunpal Co. LifePo4 Lithium Battery Scam - My experience and advice

Thingol

I wanted to share my experience here, mostly for the benefit of others to ensure nobody else goes through the horrible experience I had with Sunpal Power Co., Ltd, Hefei, Anhui, China, a seller I found on the Alibaba platform (see link to supplier profile). If this sounds like one of those "do not touch seller X, they are a fraud/ they are cons", it is exactly that.

I had initially posted for advice about the setup and offer from them prior to the purchase in this other post here. The full purchase is detailed in the attached invoice but the subject of this post is the are the 5pcs LifePo4 batteries that I bought as part of the installation. The batteries alone cost me some USD 2550/- plust at least USD 500 towards the overall freight and tax charges, so USD 3000/- for what turned out to be essentailly, trash.

I paid for this in July/2021 and the goods were dispatched and made it fine to my project site in Nairobi. By October/2021 everything was set up and seemingly running well. The setup was fairly simple, we had 4 of the batteries wired in series (the 5th set aside as a spare) and connected to a Victron inverter-charger and then of course to the solar arrays.

Problems began just a few weeks in. The battery voltage became extremely erratic: one or more of the batteries would suddenly go to over 16V while another would be at 11V. At first, we did not suspsect foulplay since the batteries were supposedly new, so we installed a balancer. That did not help.

Every hour, our Easysolar unit would throw DC voltage ripper alerts while on the battery side then red low DC voltage alerts before shurring down completely. Some of the battery units would be reading over 18V while another was reading 11V and erratically turning on and going off. The bank will not sustain any load above 400W and even under 200W load, the voltage will often dip and cause a total system shutdown. The same goes for charging- over a few weeks that I monitored this, I found that the cells were not taking up charge as they should: everyday- 15kwh going into a max 10kwh bank- the extra being taken up by the internal resistance of the delapidated cells.

After going through the entire setup and making sure everything was in order as per the technical document for the batteries, we decided to open up the units to see what exactly had been packed inside.

To my shock, we had been sold old, end of life BYD cells packed in a new-looking metal box and branded as new "SUNPAL" cells. To be absolutely sure that the cells were the problem, we got the individual cells out of the battery units (where they were packed in 4 X 3.2V nominal configuration) and wired them in series into a 48V bank of 16 cells with a JK BMS. Now we could see individual cell charge/discharge behaviour and voltage differences, balancing cycles and cell failures for each cell in real time. Of course, the physical condition of the cells told the whole story- we had been conned, duped, cheated out of a cool 3000 USD.

But I wanted to be sure, and sure enough, the erratic cell voltage, erratic charge/discharge behaviour is consistent across all cells. No surprise there. These batteries had been ripped some electric vehicle that was written off years prior.

1691331963342.png
1691331989392.png
1691332002625.png

1691333232021.png

1691333283604.png

1691333423042.png

I confronted the seller about this- they asked for a ton of "evidence" and tried to frustrate my effort to get them to accept responsibility for the fraud. They even tried that "we will send you new units for free with the next order" nonsense. I refused and insisted on a refund- at least 50% of the cost of the batteries.

Every small step in this ordeal cost weeks and weeks of pushing and demanding for answers- it took days and often weeks to get any word from them. I had asked them to refund at least half the cost of the battery hardware alone (excluding freight, taxes, handling etc- which was a major contributor to the overall project cost). Despite accepting that this was their mistake, they blatantly refused to honour the 5 year warranty advertised with the item. This is all in the chat history with them. offered USD 300/- refund and stuck with it. US$300/- for junk they sold me for over 10 times as much accounting for all costs. In the end, I accepted this rather than use many precious hours of my life pursuing a company in China from Europe.

Lesson learnt:

1) With Sunpal and likely with other such outfits on Alibaba, honesty is non-exisistent and their warranty means nothing.

2) When buying hardware, always go with a seller that has got a legit reputation and reviews either here on diysolar, on Will's channel, Andy's channel or similar. The sparkling review and all those other ratings on the seller's Alibaba profile mean nothing. Those in the US are lucky to even have suppliers with local warehouses so they can get stuff shipped in locally- get warranty replacements easy and so on.

3) Prefer buying individual EVE or similar cells from sellers with a reputaiton here as opposed to "closed box" type of deals, then get a good BMS and build your own bank yourself. I know there are a few reputable brands out there but still, I will always prefer cell level guarantees over everything else.

4) Alibaba Trade Assurance might help- but from what I read of experiences of others, it too means nothing. If you must buy from a seller without a record here, use it but in case of trouble, you are on your own.

5) When paying for solar hardware on Alibaba, you can opt for certain protections like with Paypal or some other kind of insurance but remember: When you claim warranty, if they ever admit responsibility, they will still ask you to ship the faulty items back to them in China and that is the end of that (unless of course they have local suppliers in your country/region)..

The old link to the battery is still active, but they have revised the pictures - I believe one would still get the same junk I got so again, the product description and all the technical details and datasheets mean nothing. Same would go for their inverters, BMSs etc etc.

Ps: My ordeal with this Sunpal company was just horrendous- time, energy, money lost- makes my head ache to think of it all. I would strongly advise anyone considering dealings with them even for non-battery items to absolutely avoid them. There are far better suppliers many users here have returned positive feedback on up here.

Attachments

• 01_invoice.jpg
    01_invoice.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 29
  • 02_battery_datasheet.jpg
    02_battery_datasheet.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 04_chatHistory.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 1691333203733.png
    1691333203733.png
    158 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to report your experience.

I don't understand the mind of a scammer. How can anyone be satisfied by making money scamming others .... It is sad how many of these people there are.

Thanks for taking the time to report your experience.

I don't understand the mind of a scammer. How can anyone be satisfied by making money scamming others .... It is sad how many of these people there are.
The OP’s experience is very disenheartening, but SunPal is a reputable company, at least for Solar Panels. I have 3 380W SunPal panels that have exceeded my expectations for over 3 years now.

There is a trend for ‘solar’ companies to evolve from panels to ‘full solutions’ including inverters and batteries.

Whether SunPal’s new battery division is knowingly scamming customers or they got scammed by whoever they purchased the used BYD cells from, it’s always best to purchase expensive products from China from companies who actually manufacture them (which can be exceedingly difficult to suss out) and have core competence with the technologies involved.

SunPal just contacted me about their new hybrid inverter offerings which turned out to be rebadged Megarevo and SRNE inverters. I said ‘no thank you.’

The OP’s experience is very disenheartening, but SunPal is a reputable company, at least for Solar Panels. I have 3 380W SunPal panels that have exceeded my expectations for over 3 years now.

There is a trend for ‘solar’ companies to evolve from panels to ‘full solutions’ including inverters and batteries.

Whether SunPal’s new battery division is knowingly scamming customers or they got scammed by whoever they purchased the used BYD cells from, it’s always best to purchase expensive products from China from companies who actually manufacture them (which can be exceedingly difficult to suss out) and have core competence with the technologies involved.

SunPal just contacted me about their new hybrid inverter offerings which turned out to be rebadged Megarevo and SRNE inverters. I said ‘no thank you.’

Any company can inadvertently sell a bad product .... that they felt virtually zero obligation to make it right is the problem.

Any company can inadvertently sell a bad product .... that they felt virtually zero obligation to make it right is the problem.
That is a little bit of an overstatement. They offered to replace the unit free of charge:

‘They even tried that "we will send you new units for free with the next order" nonsense.’

They be also offered and paid a $300 refund which they did not have to to.

They clearly did not want to eat the cost of shipping a replacement to the US, but as an established company attempting to expand into new areas, purposely scamming customers achieves absolutely nothing for them.

So my read is the OP unfortunately got caught buying a new product offering that was not close to being ready for prime time from a new division that was way out over their skis.

[P.S. were it me, I would have taken them up on their offer of a free replacement but offered to pay for the shipping. Before paying anything, I would also have requested a minimum amount of testing and/or inspection to increase the likelihood that the replacement did not contain the same used / defective cells as the original (it’s been over two full years now, and I doubt the battery division would still be in existence if they were still only selling similar batteries with similar deficient cells).]

Last edited:
That is a little bit of an overstatement. They offered to replace the unit free of charge:

‘They even tried that "we will send you new units for free with the next order" nonsense.’

They clearly did not want to eat the cost of shipping a replacement to the US, but as an established company attempting to expand into new areas, purposely scamming customers achieves absolutely nothing for them.

So my read is the OP unfortunately got caught buying a new product offering that was not close to being ready for prime time from a new division that was way out over their skis.

[P.S. were it me, I would have taken them up on their offer of a free replacement but offered to pay for the shipping. Before paying anything, I would also have requested a minimum amount of testing and/or inspection to increase the likelihood that the replacement did not contain the same used / defective cells as the original (it’s been over two full years now, and I doubt the battery division would still be in existence if they were still only selling similar batteries with similar deficient cells).]
I did miss the part where they offered to ship a free replacement .... but I do understand why the OP would have preferred a better refund since there was no guarantee the new ones would be any better than the originals. If it had been one battery out of five that was a problem ... That would be a good solution.
I have reached the point where I simply no longer wanted to do business with a company.
Glad they have provided you with a product you are happy with.

Sorry about your mishap experience. Unfortunately this is all too common on Alibaba.

Hopefully you can rebound from this. I would recommend going with a vendor that can provide you with test reports so that you know what you are getting is not used.

There have been a lot of flooding in China, I suspect many of these flooded cars will have the cells pulled resleeved and then sold on the market as new so other buyers users will run into the same issue.

I did miss the part where they offered to ship a free replacement .... but I do understand why the OP would have preferred a better refund since there was no guarantee the new ones would be any better than the originals.
Totally agree. That’s why I recommended requesting some minimum level of testing and/or inspection before even agreeing to pay shipping on the replacement.
If it had been one battery out of five that was a problem ... That would be a good solution.
I’m a fan of OLED TV and have owned 9 since they first came out 10 years ago. LG, the pioneer, had to quietly replace most of those early shipments due to unexpected problems in the field. I’m guessing he bought a first-gen product that was quickly slapped together and thrown into the marketplace and as I already said, I’d be very surprised if what is being manufactured and shipped now, 2 years later, had the same flaws the product had when it was first rushed to market by a new division that probably had little understanding of the technology or the product.
I have reached the point where I simply no longer wanted to do business with a company.
It’s always a crap-shoot buying from China. Expecting US-class warranty and customer service from a Chinese vendor in China is likely a fool’s errand.

That being said, if you put in the effort to understand what a Chinese company actually owns / controls on terms of core technology and manufacturing capability (not easy!), you can find good products sold by serious companies inChina that will back them up (within reason).

That is the reason I purchase any rebadged Chinese products I care about through Amazon (shipped by Amazon). First, you have return rights and can send the product back for a refund within 30 days if you are unhappy with it.

Second, to the extent that any Warranty period was represented on the Amazon page when you purchased it, Amazon will back you up and greatly increase the odds your warranty will be correctly respected.

For very cheap stuff where buying a replacement would be easier than chasing a warranty claim, I have no illusions about getting a real warranty and purchase through AliExpress.

But ‘Caveat Emptor’ certainly applies to purchasing expensive products from Chinese companies directly in China…

I did miss the part where they offered to ship a free replacement .... but I do understand why the OP would have preferred a better refund since there was no guarantee the new ones would be any better than the originals. If it had been one battery out of five that was a problem ... That would be a good solution.
Please reread my post. To clarify:

Please reread my post. To clarify:

1) I was never offered free replacement. Items under warranty ought be replaced at seller's cost in full, especially in the event of outright foulplay.

2) They offered to *partially* replace the faulty batteries if and when I bought more from them. No. I have all that in my chat history.

3) I offered to accept a minimum of half the cost of the batteries (discounting all other costs such as freight, packing, tax, inspection) as compensation. This would have made USD 1275. This would have been barely acceptable for me, and they would not to prep and bother with shipping. All parties were in agreement that a refund then we walk our separate ways was the best solution.

4) Out of the USD 2550/- paid, the agreed to refund only USD 300/-. This was their only offer and they were adamant about it. For batteries that are functionally dead: every single cell, costing USD 2550/-, they retuned USD 300/- after weeks and weeks of "negotiations".

5) This was not a supposedly " trial product " not "ready for prime". No sir. It was simply a fraud. I have all the original product info to date. Back then it had apparently sold over 1000pcs according to Alibaba and had a TUV Rhineland certification mark and good ratings to boot. I am certain the TUV (if legitimate at all) could not have been passed with old, disused BYD cells badly yanked off a vehicle. A total scam it was, far from a mishap. Very far.

That is how it is sir.

Last edited:

I'm curious, how did you find out the inverters were rebadged from elsewhere?

I'm curious, how did you find out the inverters were rebadged from elsewhere?
Sunpal sent me the UL certificates and ‘SRNE’ and ‘Megarevo’ were listed right there (with no mention of ‘SunPal.’

Back