diy solar

diy solar

Freeze-Proofing my LiFePO4 with Twin Hornet 45

Browneye

Dr. WattSon
Late last year we moved from southern CA to Yakima WA. Oh dear it’s cold here - below freezing 24/7 for the past ten days. Last Friday it was -2 overnight. I didn’t really consider freeze-protection in an active way when I built my battery, but at least it got moved indoors to under the sofa-bed. Removing the battery pack for the winter months would be a giant hassle - it is more or less built in.

I do have Overkill BMS with its two sensors, ambient and battery, and it will shut down charging under 33 degrees, so at least there’s that. But really, I didn’t want it freezing at all, seems like a bad idea all around. And heating the entire RV didn’t seem like a good option either - I just needed to keep the battery from freezing.

So I bought one of these bilge heaters - Twin Hornet 45 - it’s high volume low temperature, comes on at about 35 and shuts off about 50. It’s 700 watts, and I leave the coach plugged in while parked in the driveway so it stays powered up. Since my battery pack is inside under the sofa this heater warms that whole area and the lowest I’ve seen the on-bat temp sensor is about 35, but generally it stays just under 40. Ambient ranges from 40-50. This is the best $300 I’ve spent on this coach.

Probly not the best option for a traveler, but for a parked rig is nothing short of fantastic. And I can keep my battery fully charged up, don’t have to disconnect or reprogram anything.

I also got a ‘battery blanket’ for the starting batteries, and put it on a timer that turns it on during cold periods. Got one for the toad too - it has to live outdoors with a cover on it. The other cars are in the garage and it never drops below 45. Damn it’s cold here!

IMG_0005.jpeg

IMG_5132.jpeg

Last edited:
Tank heaters seem to be the best option. I have rack batteries and put 1 67w tank heater sandwiched between 2 batteries. I have 2 banks each in separate bays. Seemed to work great when above 20 outside but now it's 2deg and bays dropped to 30, just below freezing.

I put some 120v 350/500watt heaters in there, Chinese/Amazon ones likely $20-30 each. Set on the low 350w option and just turned on, they heat the bays quickly. The genny is in my 48v battery bay. I use kasa wifi smart outlets and just manually turn them on/off remotely. At some point I'll setup home assistant and program them to turn on/off based on the ruuvi temp sensors.

I have 5 of these tank heaters plugged in now, 2 on the black tank, 1 in front of the fresh tank to keep the filters and pumps warm then 1 on each battery bank. I haven't verified they work yet or checked to see how well they work, let my dad borrow my Flir but hopefully I'll get it back today and can check it out.

That twin hornet looks great for a boat engine bay or other large area as high volume, and seems to have legit mounting brackets so can be permanently mounted without risking it falling.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240115_091041_VRM.jpg
    Screenshot_20240115_091041_VRM.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1
They do - mounted it to the floor in the battery area. Inverter and charger are in there too.

My tanks are all empty, water lines blown out and antifreeze pumped in. It can sit ‘till the temps come up to normal.

I’m a bit surprised how many cars are just parked outdoors here with no freeze protection. Then you see them at the parts counter trying to make a warranty claim on their starting battery. LOL

My wife and I were boaters for 30 years, finally getting out of it in late 2007. Until your mention of the Twin Hornet I'd never heard of it or any other USCG approved bilge heater. Sounds and looks like a safe and effective device, and it's perfect for your application.

Here's how the tank heaters look. On the back right is a huge hole where the steering bar thingy is so it gets real cold. Really need to insulate the batteries just didn't get a chance before it got super cold.

Found out my 48v battery heater wasn't even plugged in, must have forgot that one so got it handled. Also had the genius idea to put my engine block heater on one of those dial timers so it'll turn on/off every 30 minutes.

Attachments

• FLIR_20240115_125633_955.jpg
    FLIR_20240115_125633_955.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Back