diy solar

diy solar

Fuse for 100 A 48 Vdc line, 40 A 12 Vdc

flammafeuer

I'm researching fuses, and seeing different recommendations, and having a hard time sorting it out. I the following lines I think I should fuse:
  • Battery bus-->Inverter: 100 A, 48 Vdc
    • Could be 200 A down the road as I have two 48 Vdc batteries in parallel
  • Battery bus -->12 Vdc regulator, 40 Adc
  • Controller-->Battery bus
    • Should I fuse this?
I looked into the Victron and Renogy fuses, but I see that some people are using much larger and more expensive fuses for their systems (though there might be much higher voltages at play). Any suggestions on fuses for a small off-grid system?

All lines to and from bus should be fused

Fuse sizes are based on cable amp capacity and size of the load , there are calculators online but I am happy to go through them with you if needed

All lines to and from bus should be fused

Fuse sizes are based on cable amp capacity and size of the load , there are calculators online but I am happy to go through them with you if needed
I could use help on fuse selection beten the Bus bar and inverter. It is 3kW, and can surge up to 6kW. I will be using a demolition hammer that is 1800 W that I could see needing a lot of in rush current. The base fuse for a normal 3kW would be 125A for 48V, but would that allow for surges in current? Also, would I need a slow or fast fuse?

The base fuse for a normal 3kW would be 125A for 48V, but would that allow for surges in current?

Fuse should be 1.25x~ of the amp draw , I think you don't need to account for the surge current in this case

Your 3kw inverter draws 62.5 amps
3000w ÷ 48v = 62.5amps

62.5 x 1.25 = 78amps~

So am 80amp fuse would be good, or up to maybe100amp if your cable can handle that current . It really depends what you can find

Fuse should be 1.25x~ of the amp draw , I think you don't need to account for the surge current in this case

Your 3kw inverter draws 62.5 amps
3000w ÷ 48v = 62.5amps

62.5 x 1.25 = 78amps~

So am 80amp fuse would be good, or up to maybe100amp if your cable can handle that current . It really depends what you can find
How is the 6kW surge taken into account?

Aolithium rack batteries, 48V 5kW in parallel, though haven't hooked them up yet.

Lithium batteries have a HUGE short circuit current, they need special fuses

Class T fuse is what people recommend, they cost a fortune

Fuse & holder

How is the 6kW surge taken into account?
The surge happens so quickly it's not an issue, fuses aren't usually that sensitive

I was also just reading about fuses right after the battery. Is the calculation the same for those, and are T fuses the recommended ones? I see some people using MRBF even on 48.

Edit: you answered this partially above.

Last edited:
I was also just reading about fuses right after the battery. It's the calculation the same for those, and are T fuses the recommended ones? I see some people using MRBF even on 48V.

I think when you have 2x 48v lithium batteries in parallel they recommend class-T over mrbf

This explains a bit

Back