diy solar

diy solar

Fuse Guidance and placement?

gamerscircle

SolarDIYGC.jpg
Please excuse this crude attempt at illustrating my thought process.
The panels are 2 Hanwha Model: Q.Plus-L-G4.2 - 330 W Series Poly [the ISC is 9.54 & VOC is 46.81]

1.) If I want to work on the system and not have to keep disconnecting the solar panels, I got a 32a circuit breaker.
2.) The battery is a 100AH , so based on what I have read, I need a 100a fuse between the Positive busbar and the inverter? Or Battery and Positive busbar?
3.) If I was to add a battery monitoring shunt, that will go on the negative side? Before or after the bus bar?
4.) The panels will be about 40ft round trip to the charge controller, will 12 gauge wire be ok?
5.) The rest of the system will be on plywood on a wall in the garage. I am going to use 2 gauge wire everywhere else with the exception from the charge controller to the battery and from the charge controller to the circuit breaker where I plan on using 10 gauge.
This is my very first attempt at this , I know I am making some errors, what & where are they? My plans are to use this as a backup for power outages for keeping the frig and some led lights on in the house.

2.) The battery is a 100AH , so based on what I have read, I need a 100a fuse between the Positive busbar and the inverter? Or Battery and Positive busbar?
There are a few issues with the set-up..

1) A 3000W inverter that runs at 85% efficiency can draw up to (3000V/.85)/12V=294A but the battery is probably only rated to deliver 100A continuously. The battery will shut down long before you can get 3000W out of the system.

2) If running at the full 3000W, 100Ah will only last about 20min. Even at only 1000W load 100Ah will only last one hour.

.) If I was to add a battery monitoring shunt, that will go on the negative side? Before or after the bus bar?
Before the bus bar.
I am going to use 2 gauge wire everywhere else with the exception from the charge controller to the battery and from the charge controller to the circuit breaker where I plan on using 10 gauge.
2 AWG is too small for 300A that the inverter can draw but big enough for the 100A the battery can supply

From all the YT and some readings, I am not going to push this setup. I am going to work in stages and test all the way. The BMS in the batter will only allow for 100amp, that is why I chose only 2 gauge. If I remember correctly, if I wanted to go over I would need something like 4/0?
My 1st test would be to use some lights hooked up to a P4460 Usage Monitor so I can see what is actually going on and compare it with my clamp meter.

View attachment 116617
Please excuse this crude attempt at illustrating my thought process.
The panels are 2 Hanwha Model: Q.Plus-L-G4.2 - 330 W Series Poly [the ISC is 9.54 & VOC is 46.81]

1.) If I want to work on the system and not have to keep disconnecting the solar panels, I got a 32a circuit breaker.
3.) If I was to add a battery monitoring shunt, that will go on the negative side? Before or after the bus bar?
4.) The panels will be about 40ft round trip to the charge controller, will 12 gauge wire be ok?
5.) The rest of the system will be on plywood on a wall in the garage. I am going to use 2 gauge wire everywhere else with the exception from the charge controller to the battery and from the charge controller to the circuit breaker where I plan on using 10 gauge.
This is my very first attempt at this , I know I am making some errors, what & where are they? My plans are to use this as a backup for power outages for keeping the frig and some led lights on in the house.
So why not use one of these
Victron Energy Lynx Power in Battery Connector https://a.co/d/9Uqz9Wp?

Attachments

• 8BA9110C-A1DF-4D6A-8659-6A421A368364.jpeg
    8BA9110C-A1DF-4D6A-8659-6A421A368364.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Oh, instead of the separate bus bars? I will be honest with you, I am on a budget, but not to the point that I am going to attempt sketch setups, but I have seen lots of setups on YT and websites and I have seen these used, but opts to go the other way for now. I really appreciate the suggestion.

I was going to build my own but I couldn’t do it less than I could buy one of these. Make sure you have your busses covered and protected.

Back