diy solar

diy solar

Fuses for Balance Wires? Yes or No?

The Batrium Cellmate K9 uses inline fuse holders (pic below from @LithiumSolar k9 install vid) on each balance wire - but as stated above, it seems like overkill to me. I use longmons and attach the + and - wires directly to the packs - no fusing. For my Chargery(s) I also attach the balance wires directly to the packs.
View attachment 185893

Per a discussion with Batrium a while back, the fuses are mostly intended to prevent shorts caused by damage to bundles of cabling. This could be physical damage or melting (think heat that melts through a bundle and epic-shorts them all). The longmons don't have fuses but the wires are short and super thin, not even sure what wire gauge they would be. I've actually removed my fuses in the latest build - haven't had time to share an update on it just yet.

the fuses are mostly intended to prevent shorts caused by damage to bundles of cabling. This could be physical damage or melting (think heat that melts through a bundle and epic-shorts them all).
That is a real possiblity, and makes me consider that it would make sense to have the fuses.
I've actually removed my fuses in the latest build - haven't had time to share an update on it just yet.
Interesting, why remove them if they were already in place? Were they nuisance tripping?

My other thought is: short as an ignition source. A glass fuse contains the short and cuts off the circuit without providing a source of ignition for (leaking) electrolyte, or allowing the wire lead to be able to move and short to an adjacent bus bar. Just considering the worst case senario.

Interesting, why remove them if they were already in place? Were they nuisance tripping?
I feel my new design is adequate enough to protect against accidental physical damage. I got tired of having to solder my own leads on the little stub terminals because they come pre-terminated with 6in wires. Once re-terminating them, no matter how careful you are, they're difficult to twist open/closed. Some of the brass terminals started to darken (oxidation I assume). I don't see fused leads on any other BMS. I don't know... there were a variety of things like this going through my head at the time so I just left them off. I'm not suggesting one way or the other. I may put them back at some point if I can find something I like better than the holders they come with.

I am with you, last week finished my fifth DIY 16s pack, and still no fuses on the BMS leads...however it came to mind, as I was building, "maybe these should have tiny fuses on them" so I did a search, didn't see much, so posted the question. I am still debating this in my head. (and not relishing the idea of taking apart five packs, installing 80 tiny fuses, and button those packs all back up again!

Back